Coiled cables

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
I see that most of our continental cousins don’t unwrap their ehu cables - do you have to or not as it’s a pain rewinding them

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you are just charging batteries it does no harm, but electric heaters or cookers are a potential problem and likely to result in over-heating.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Keep mine coiled as I only use it to charge batteries.

Most electric hook ups on UK vans are wanting to “get their moneys worth” and milk the electric. So need to uncoil it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
This is more than a pain in the arris.

OP
OP
Jewellbags
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
If you are just charging batteries it does no harm, but electric heaters or cookers are a potential problem and likely to result in over-heating.
I assume the diesel heater once running doesn’t draw much

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I assume the diesel heater once running doesn’t draw much
No problem with a diesel heater, our Webasto draws about 6A on start-up for a short time, but 6A at 12V is only 0.3A at 240V which is nothing. However, we can also turn it to electric heating, either 1kW or 2kW which is respectively 4A and 8A. The former would probably be safe with a cable on a drum I think but you have to factor in any other loads such as the 'fridge so even that would be risky.

I guess other factors are the thickness of the cable, 2.5mm2 will be safer than 1.5mm (which is what you normally see on these drums) and also the quality of the copper but how you would know is tricky. I suspect price might not be a reliable guide.

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I bet the folk who unwind their EHU cable fully and lay it out in straight lines also have ironed shorts and tee shirts and rarely motorhome off site!

(Those who know, know and those who don't... never worry about it.)

Knowledge is power... ;)

JJ :cool:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We don’t wind our EHU cable onto a reel, simply loop it in my hand.

Run out what is required and lay the rest of the loose loops on the ground. There is more than enough space for air to circulate around the cable.

We do use electric heating in winter but, as the current draw increases, the ambient temperature has reduced, providing additional cooling.

In well over 40 years of motorhomes and caravans we have never had any problem with overheated cables.

OP
OP
Jewellbags
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
We don’t wind our EHU cable onto a reel, simply loop it in my hand.

Run out what is required and lay the rest of the loose loops on the ground. There is more than enough space for air to circulate around the cable.

We do use electric heating in winter but, as the current draw increases, the ambient temperature has reduced, providing additional cooling.

In well over 40 years of motorhomes and caravans we have never had any problem with overheated cables.
Out of interest how do you store it in the garage - loose ?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Always unwind ours off the reel and make sure the reel is stored away so no tuggers nick it. Not bothered about the cable bit 😂

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
1 year and a bit
I bet the folk who unwind their EHU cable fully and lay it out in straight lines also have ironed shorts and tee shirts and rarely motorhome off site!

(Those who know, know and those who don't... never worry about it.)

Knowledge is power... ;)

JJ :cool:
Actually that is the best and safest way to do it, and yes, I am qualified to make that statement. 😀

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail F60
Exp
Newbies as of June 2024
I'd like to pop to the moho currently opposite us with his cable still coiled on the reel and show him this thread. He's only about 6' from the bollard, so most of it is still wound.

We've even got our dog tie-out stake-cable unwound fully.

OP
OP
Jewellbags
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
I now store mine , hand wound, in waterproof bag with zip fastening. I find them better than just wound up and fastened with a releaseable cable tie. I carry 2, 25m & 10m
Can you connect them to extend the run (not that I ever needed to )

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I'd like to pop to the moho currently opposite us with his cable still coiled on the reel and show him this thread. He's only about 6' from the bollard, so most of it is still wound.

Hopefully a massive pitch or a short dog tie out cable

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp

I have been known to 'assist' nearby motorhomes and caravans by fully unwinding their cables.
I don't mind if it burns and set fire to their motorhome, but I don't want the smoke from their fire inside my motorhome.

I have noticed, that on a crowded bollard, like you get in Germany, you can spot the UK vans, as they usually have thick orange cables with the proper connectors.
Whereas the Germans (and the rest) just have the black extension cable from home with the normal domestic plugs that is also used the Xmas tree lights.

1729279456196.png

(Spot the one UK vehicle here)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back