Coffee, why is it better elsewhere? (5 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Went to a nature reserve near St Neots (something Pits) at weekend. Coffee was £1.20 a cup. It was Nescafe. I have better instant coffee in the van. Nescafe Azara (which is passable) in van,...

I can't understand why people sell instant coffee for money without saying it's instant. Instant isn't coffee. Or at least don't use premium instant, given Costco sell enough for hundreds of cups of the Azera stuff for like £9. People just won't buy (twice) the cheap stuff when they taste the good stuff.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Water……

I think the uk puts too much of chemicals in our water, always tastes of chloride and such to me…

I don’t drink much coffee but I have more in Europe as it tastes bitter here in uk but not so much in Europe…🤔

Aug 9, 2011
Broadway
Funster No
MH
Aclass
Exp
since 2009
The absolute vilest coffe I ever had was at a nature reserve in New Zealand. It was all they had. It came in a tin that was heated in a small oven looking thing. Totally disgusting. The bodily secretions of Beelzebub. The old dear behind the counter admitted she found it foul but some people apparently liked it and had two.

Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Typical Spanish coffee is roasted with up to 20% sugar to bulk out the weight of the sold beans - a practice resulting from shortages caused by the Civil War. The sugar burns and coats the beans resulting in very dark and bitter coffee. The roast is called Torrefacto and is blended with normally roasted coffee. You can often see from the label where it states the %age content of Torrefacto. It's dreadful drunk as an espresso and not much better with milk!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
This is the reason I’ve never tasted coffee in my 56 years on this planet, growing up in the 70s my parents were publicans in Glasgow and one of the customers had a ready supply of this. The smell in our house was enough for me and never tasted coffee, we have been tempted to try it as my wife has never tasted it either, we’re just not sure which one to try.

I do love a cup of tea though
Don't try choicory it's not real but is really yukky

PaulC70

Visiting Coventry
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Personally the best coffee for me is the one at home in a Nespresso, it's one of the dark blue capsules quite strong and it's perfect for me. When in the van we use the cafetaire with lavazza ground coffee and I quite like that.
Out and about , funnily my favourite is Mc donalds black coffee, then if I have to i'll tolerate Starbucks. For random unknown coffee shops, if its not being made in a proper bean to cup jobbie I won't touch it and as for Costa coffee, id rather die of thirst.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
In Italy you’ll be disappointed if the coffee would be anything other than great
In Spain you can happily get what you need, where and when you need it, coffee wise
In France just don’t bother
In Germany, please avoid
In UK, coffee doesn’t really exist, just like the US

Then Jim mentioned Turkish coffee 😋 never been able to get near anything like it at home. The mud residue for starters😂

Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
One of the reasons coffee in the uk can be awful is we have an American idea of size for coffee, it shouldn't come as a bucket size it should be a small size especially if it's been made in a proper batista machine otherwise the coffee to hot water ratio is just too minimal.
We use francino coffee machines which are a commercial brand made in Birmingham from an Italian who immigrated to the UK.
The coffee beans are actually from a countywide supplier cash and carry which is bookers premuim blend, I've tried a lot available in bulk and found these to be amazing which give a great taste and crema.
The regular cleaning and service of the machines also goes to making great coffee.
Just a few reasons why we get bad coffee in the uk.
Exactly! It is a commercial decision by the coffee chains to sell a bucket of milk foam. That is where the profit is. And a copy of the USA business model. And the reason I do not use them.
There are many independent coffee shops that take a pride in their coffee, and know how to serve it. Also good independent roasters. We have 3-4 in Wild West Wales and they are very good. We have a good quality barista machine and really enjoy using it at home. You can dial it in to a particular bean and get a great result. Really important to have freshly roasted beans. Good quality roasters will put the roasting date on the packet. Ideally used under 30 days from date of roasting.
In the MH we use a Lavazza capsule machine with a Lavazza milk frother. Works for us!

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
In Italy you’ll be disappointed if the coffee would be anything other than great
In Spain you can happily get what you need, where and when you need it, coffee wise
In France just don’t bother
In Germany, please avoid
In UK, coffee doesn’t really exist, just like the US
What balderdash :rolleyes:

May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
My two favourite ways of making good quality coffee for myself every day, home and away, are:
1) Aeropress Go
https://www.aeropress.co.uk/products/aeropress-go
2) Bialetti Brikka Induction (works on all hobs)
https://www.bialetti.com/it_en/brikka-induction.html
Both are straightforward to use and easy to clean. The Brikka bit is important - don't buy one without that name.
The twin-boiler espresso machine with PID at home makes true espresso-based drinks for a treat, but takes longer with warmup, etc.
For guests, you can't beat the convenience of a Nespresso/Aeroccino, or filter or French Press if you prefer.

A truly excellent home-made coffee guide here (sorry if paywall}:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/.../how-to-make-coffee-at.../

Dave

436118803_10229803895495619_2144986601991622848_n.jpg

436316690_10229803897575671_660761097140157593_n.jpg

436308363_10229803897055658_4082689730080652849_n.jpg

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
On holiday in Greece we'd really enjoy a glass or two of 3 star Metaxa at dusk on the hotel balcony overlooking the twinkling lights of the marina.
Exactly the same 3 star Metaxa brought home just didn't taste anything like as good.
Same with Feta and Greek tomatoes.tastes nothing like elsewhere.BUSBY.

Sep 5, 2024
In a tin box
Funster No
MH
Building a PVC
I usually buy the Lavazza red twin pack.

Was £5 before lockdown, now £7.25
Went to a nature reserve near St Neots (something Pits)
I'm guessing Paxton Pits

I gave up instant coffee back in the late 80's. It's actually a lot better now than it was then but I'd rather have a black 'builders' tea than most instant coffees.

I don't really like milk in either - I'm fully weaned :D

More of a coffee drinker. Tea's not really my thing.

I've been down the home espresso route, fiddled around with posh coffees etc, but ultimately came to the conclusion that unless you were willing to spend 1-2K on a proper machine and either plumb it in to mains water with a purifier and filter or use mineral water with it then you were never really going to get the 'proper' experience.

Lavazza red and a Moka that was my grandmother's and which has made coffee almost daily for something like 60 years is my 'compromise'

I discovered silicone seals for them which are just so much better than the old rubber ones.

For a better coffee I look to one of the very small number of outlets who understand it properly and have invested in the appropriate equipment.

That, or my local Turkish place which makes amazing food as well as stunning Turkish coffee....

I really need to learn how to make that as I'm sure it just needs the right coffee, some much less expensive equipment, and quite a lot of practice.....

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Funny how happy we were with most instant coffees back in the '70s. Maxwell House & Nescafe were the 2 choices i recall.

We only went off them when we travelled and tasted REAL fresh coffee for the first time. Instant would just not do after that.
Does anyone remember SOLO instant coffee in Spain. That seemed very nice at the time - less so nowadays.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Pal of mine is married to a Turkish girl he'd met whilst working over there in the oil industry. She made me a cup of "coffee" when I visited them. It was unpleasantly weird ! Extremely sweet, had cardamom amongst other "stuff" in it, and when I got to the bottom of the cup it looked like someone had tipped the contents of my kitchen sink's U bend into my mug !
I have a six cup stove top pot to myself every morning with Lavazza Red (cheaper online than the supermarket) in a huge mug, topped up with hot water 50/50.
Will occasionally visit a Cafe Nero or Costa, but not Starbucks :sick:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Why does a coffee cost so much in the UK ? Small cafe has opened close to us and a standard Cappuccino is £3.75.
Thinking that the coffee is the main part of the cost is like thinking in a restaurant you are paying for what's on your plate. You are paying for the premises staff other overheads ( buisness rates employers NI etc) , rent, decor and a little but for the actual food or drink. I suspect most people work in businesses where they wouldn't fancy working for the wages in cheaper countries.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
The only place I’ve found that makes really decent coffee in UK is Torridon Stores and Cafe in Wester Ross. It’s the only thing which matches or even tops what we can make at home.

At home we use a Sage Barista Impress. We only use fresh beans (well we buy 2kg freshly roasted and freeze). Having tried many different roasts our favourite is the Edinburgh Blend from Gordon Street roasters in Glasgow.

For the van we have a moka pot. It’s not as good but better than Costa/Starbucks.

May 21, 2019
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance
Exp
Since 2015
Having had several different types of machine in the past, I've settled for an Aeropress and get great results. There's a very interesting guy on youtube who is so anal about coffee but very entertaining too...Worth a watch

May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
It's all a question of the mix of Arabica and Colombian beans with different toasting. The Italians seem to be the best at obtaining the perfect mix and toasting which is why Ylli and Lavazza are commonly named as the best, among others. The key is the machine used to make it, 'una máquina espresso' can cost up to 10.000 pounds for a good one, which is probably why many coffee shops do not have one. Here in Spain all bars do invest in the proper machine and coffee sales is one of the most profitable products they sell, along with beer on tap.

OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Best coffee I ever tasted was 1966 in Spanish village. Sticks on floor, small saucepan on flames with water in. She threw coffee into saucepan and poured it through a sieve. Perfection. I recall village clock painted on wall at 4.10.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back