Coffee, why is it better elsewhere? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I like coffee but wherever we travel it seems to taste better than in this country, why?
I went into a Tea Room cafe today and ordered an ‘American’ with almost no taste at all and asked for a replacement, which tasted the same. After 3 months touring Spain and Portugal drinking coffee at different places almost every day, we did not have one cup that was unacceptable.
At home we have 8 mockas (coffee makers) in different sizes, they make a fair drink. A few Cafetières which I am not fond of. For a short time we had a Jura bean to cup machine, poor results but discovered the grinder worn out. Who makes a good cup of coffee? Our Tassimo is fair but have to make it myself.

Jan 25, 2024
North Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 745
Exp
since 2012
I have just gone from a bean to cup machine, my second, to a Nespresso Vertuo machine and it is great.
I agree about loads of coffee shops selling tasteless products.
My machine also does hot chocolate which is also amazing.

Tony

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Newton Abbot, UK
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I like Lavazza ground coffee and beans either made in a cafetière or in one of those Italian pressure pots you put on the stove. Just also found that Tesco sell Machu Pichu ground coffee which is really good. Can’t stand Coffee 1 as tastes burnt. With Costa I need an extra shot. Abroad they must use decent beans as it always tastes good wherever and much cheaper than home.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Italian Lavazza coffee is my preference and it seems to be the most popular in Italy. I use pods and have one machine at home and another smaller one in the motorhome.

Americans mostly drink coffee from filter drip machines. Wife prefers that and she recommends Tim Hortons Canadian coffee. Used to be very difficult to buy over here but they are expanding their chain of coffee shops in the UK and they sells their ground beans for taking away.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
I like coffee but wherever we travel it seems to taste better than in this country, why?
I went into a Tea Room cafe today and ordered an ‘American’ with almost no taste at all and asked for a replacement, which tasted the same. After 3 months touring Spain and Portugal drinking coffee at different places almost every day, we did not have one cup that was unacceptable.
At home we have 8 mockas (coffee makers) in different sizes, they make a fair drink. A few Cafetières which I am not fond of. For a short time we had a Jura bean to cup machine, poor results but discovered the grinder worn out. Who makes a good cup of coffee? Our Tassimo is fair but have to make it myself.
It's not the coffee it's the coffee maker , barista if you like .
Coffee I get in my preferred cafes is better than anything I get in mainland Europe. But I don't have to go too far to get terrible coffee in lots of places

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 19, 2014
Wimborne
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral+ 670SL
Exp
No longer a newbie
I may be wrong here, and am happy to be proven so, but my understanding of this issue is that generally we use Arabica beans in the UK, whereas France, and presumably by association its neighbours, primarily use Robusta beans.

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
I may be wrong here, and am happy to be proven so, but my understanding of this issue is that generally we use Arabica beans in the UK, whereas France, and presumably by association its neighbours, primarily use Robusta beans.
In my experience French coffee is the worst . I drink espresso so no hiding behind the milk and sugar . The French always overfill the cup , weak as maidens pee

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We've been experimenting with Turkish coffee with mixed results. Any Turkish coffee experts out there?

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Best coffee I can remember was on Swissair about 40 years ago when for several months I commuted to Geneva weekly. Stepping onto the plane the first thing that hit you was the most gorgeous smell of fresh coffee and it tased as good as it smelled.

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
One of the reasons coffee in the uk can be awful is we have an American idea of size for coffee, it shouldn't come as a bucket size it should be a small size especially if it's been made in a proper batista machine otherwise the coffee to hot water ratio is just too minimal.
We use francino coffee machines which are a commercial brand made in Birmingham from an Italian who immigrated to the UK.
The coffee beans are actually from a countywide supplier cash and carry which is bookers premuim blend, I've tried a lot available in bulk and found these to be amazing which give a great taste and crema.
The regular cleaning and service of the machines also goes to making great coffee.
Just a few reasons why we get bad coffee in the uk.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I have a de’longhi bean to cup machine. I use bottled water as our water is so hard. I try different beans. We like strong coffee , black or if I’ve bought one that’s a bit on the bitter side for me then a tiny dash of cold milk sorts it.

If you like wishy washy milky coffees then I think most don’t really taste of coffee anyway.

I’ve had good and bad coffee everywhere we’ve travelled. Depends as much on the person making it as the shop/chain.

Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
In my view, coffee shop beans appear very dark and over-roasted - well past second crack which tends towards less flavour and more bitterness.
Its tempting to think that coffee chains use a high proportion of the cheaper Robusta in their blends but labels indicate they are 100% Arabica? Hmm.
Other factors affecting the flavour are the age of the beans since roasting; the grinder quality; the grind setting; the flow rate (approximate grounds/water ratio aiming for 1ml per second); the pre-infusion time; the espresso machine temperature etc.
I don't see baristas weighing the input dose, checking the flow rate. I see grinds sitting in dosing dispensers that may be an hour or a day old. I don't see any attention to detail - apart from making a pretty pattern with the crema - to make espresso properly would be commercial suicide.
The result is shop/chain coffee can vary from barely acceptable to appalling. Throughput is the driver.

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
No longer have one
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
I have a de’longhi bean to cup machine. I use bottled water as our water is so hard. I try different beans. We like strong coffee , black or if I’ve bought one that’s a bit on the bitter side for me then a tiny dash of cold milk sorts it.

If you like wishy washy milky coffees then I think most don’t really taste of coffee anyway.

I’ve had good and bad coffee everywhere we’ve travelled. Depends as much on the person making it as the shop/chain.
We too use a Delonghi bean to cup machine with beans from a supplier called Presto. We have them on subscription delivered freshly roasted each month. I can’t find coffee which tastes as good at home or abroad. It’s down to personal taste. Some like Costa, I find the taste too burnt. I only drink black coffee, so espresso or Americano. We use filtered water in ours, as Norfolk water is too hard.
It’s a mixture of the right beans, the right water, the right machine. Oh and a little bit of skill from the operator😂

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
I also have a delonghi bean to cup machine, I buy my beans from pollards, the pouches are just big enough to fill the bean compartment meaning the beans are as fresh as possible. When we are in the van I use aeropress fine ground beans in my moka pot. Since buying coffee from them rather than supermarket beans I have found a great improvement on taste!

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Forte
Exp
10years
Wondering why the same coffee tastes different in different places and it's not just the mood. Start watching James Hoffmann on YouTube. I've been buying the same coffee for the last ten years - French Roast beans - and I use a variety of devices to grind and a variety of devices to brew - gaggia classic pro, moka, aeropress etc and some days I get it right and it's WOW and other days I just cry. Even the "same" coffee from the supplier will have gone thru a slightly different roasting process next time you buy from them and I'll waste a few cups getting the grind size right to get the right pressure and thus flow rate theought the GCP. If I had to pick 1 method it would be moka with 1Zpresso manual grinder which also suits campervanning. Turkish is next on the list.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Maybe because this used to pass as coffee in UK

This is the reason I’ve never tasted coffee in my 56 years on this planet, growing up in the 70s my parents were publicans in Glasgow and one of the customers had a ready supply of this. The smell in our house was enough for me and never tasted coffee, we have been tempted to try it as my wife has never tasted it either, we’re just not sure which one to try.

I do love a cup of tea though

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back