Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
This thread is for the general discussion of the Item Cobb. Hit the Review Button at the top of the page to leave a proper review. Feel free to discuss it below.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Jim posted a on the Item

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
What briquettes do you use?

We bought one several years ago, don't think we ever got it to cook anything properly as an oven and as a bbq found it totally useless despite using expensive briquettes.

Stashed under a bed somewhere now, I have a lot of experience with bbq's but never got to grips with this one, must have been doing something wrong, a few tips perhaps? I am willing to give it another go.......if I can find it:)

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
What briquettes do you use?

We bought one several years ago, don't think we ever got it to cook anything properly as an oven and as a bbq found it totally useless despite using expensive briquettes.

Stashed under a bed somewhere now, I have a lot of experience with bbq's but never got to grips with this one, must have been doing something wrong, a few tips perhaps? I am willing to give it another go.......if I can find it:)

We do pretty much what they say here I've never used the proprietary cobblestones, but I do buy the best quality briquettes, regular charcoal just doesn't hold heat for long enough. I think the trick is to make sure she is well alight before popping on the lid. We've never had a problem and have cooked very large family joints without ever having an issue.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I normally use good quality briquettes as well and never have a problem.

Agree completely with @Jim about cooking a chicken on it. It's the best way I've found by far.

The Cobblestones get plenty hot enough and are OK if you're using it as a BBQ or cooking smaller things but they don't last long enough to cook bigger things like a chicken or a joint.

I've also been playing around with smoking chips recently with varied results :whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: Jim
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
We bought the cobblestone one and a supply of cobblestones first and we're really pleased and cooked pretty well on it, we have all the accessories, cookbook and the carry bag, our worst experience was cooking a lamb joint, we were asked to go round to friends for drinks after we had eaten, the lamb took ages, maybe joint was too big, maybe after a few wines we cooked it too long and opened the lid too much! Hysteria was setting in.
We did cook smaller joints successfully and chicken cooked from inside too. We cooked cakes as well, the cobblestone one is in my view a relaxed affair having to wait till charcoal goes grey and you have no temp control.
I then saw the gas version and rang Cobb and bought the new gas base and lid it has different vent holes. The advantage of the gas one is that you can cook immediately and at variable temperatures. It covers all bases.
I love the look of the Cobb, it sits on a table to cook, base stays cool, designed for use on boats, it is easily cleaned, especially if you put liquid in the base ring as suggested. When we get home I do put ring base in dishwasher to keep it nice and clean.
I am going to try a pizza stone on the gas base to see how that works.
We did Moules with a tea towel over the lid to keep the steam in enough to cook.
IMG_8185.JPG
IMG_8190.JPG
IMG_8176.JPG
IMG_5390.JPG

This was our other disaster, pizza burned underneath, raw on top!
IMG_5076.JPG

Will update when I try the pizza on a pizza stone on top of Cobb.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Thanks @Granjan, I think I'm going to have to write a script that turns a discussion post into an actual review. As your post has 'reviewed' this product well.(y) You should have clicked review and then wrote this :). No worries I'll sort it. Thanks for the info.

I can see the advantages of gas, I'd miss the charcoal though and it does look like its a lot bulkier.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
For those that find the cobblestones hard to light I found that a chefs blowtorch works really well, cobblestone lit and cooking in minutes

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back