Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
Hello Funsters,
After some advice please.
Currently got a Laika as per pic below. Always had coachbuilt Motorhomes and this one really is lush for an old girl.
We spend much of our time in the Highlands of Scotland. I noticed on our last jolly that the view out the front windscreen was somewhat limited height-wise. Got me thinking that an A-class with a large windscreen screen would suit our needs better….something along the lines of a Hymer, Rapido or this one….
It’s at least a 10k jump from what we currently have and just want to be sure I’m not looking at it through my rose tinted glasses…
Has anyone done the same or vice versa that could give some input?

IMG_5095.png

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hello Funsters,
After some advice please.
Currently got a Laika as per pic below. Always had coachbuilt Motorhomes and this one really is lush for an old girl.
We spend much of our time in the Highlands of Scotland. I noticed on our last jolly that the view out the front windscreen was somewhat limited height-wise. Got me thinking that an A-class with a large windscreen screen would suit our needs better….something along the lines of a Hymer, Rapido or this one….
It’s at least a 10k jump from what we currently have and just want to be sure I’m not looking at it through my rose tinted glasses…
Has anyone done the same or vice versa that could give some input?

View attachment 899923
Our first van was a Low Profile, second was an A Class now on our 3rd A Class, after the 1st A class wouln't have any other type of van.
More space, warmer, quieter, easier to drive what's not to like.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
Thanks Tam and Lenny (y) so am I right in assuming insurance would cost more for an A class :unsure:
Can only speak for myself. Our new Carthago 138 cost approx £150k insurance is £289. A bit less than our old cheaper Carthago. A bit more than for my 13 year old Berlingo.

Insurance makes no sense!

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Can only speak for myself. Our new Carthago 138 cost approx £150k insurance is £289. A bit less than our old cheaper Carthago. A bit more than for my 13 year old Berlingo.

Insurance makes no sense!
How did you get it to that price, don't think you can get it that high with every possible extra.
Cheap insurance on the IOM then, ours is £715 insured for £130k.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2019
Wirral Peninsula, Wirral, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks everyone, hubby has asked me to do a comparison whilst he's at work 🤞 as renewal has come through at £470. Not gone up much and service has been good with 1 breakdown in Spain and 1in the UK 270 days in EU and green card. I asked the question as looking at last years insurance paperwork I just noticed they have the van as A class which is confusing me as I always thought we were coach built so I thought it best to consult with the people who know best 💪

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
pilote,g740
Exp
since 2019
i had an cb autotrail,,i fully intended to go to another cb ,,adria matrix or similar ,,when i went to look at them at signature in preston we loved the pilote a class over the adria cb ,it just seemed brighter, and spacious, compared to the autotrail or the dearer adria ,,had the a class now for a few months and i think i prefer it to the cb,,insurance was £100 extra but the cost was nearly double from my last van so was expecting the rise

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back