LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Does anyone here have one of these machines? I’ve not used one before but would like to experiment with a CNC-type machine that has a laser engraving head, for burning text and/or images into wood and metal.

I have Macs, not Windows, but could retrieve a Dell notebook PC that I’ve lent to a relative, if necessary.

I’d really appreciate advice as to a suitable machine to buy (preferably not uber pricy but capable) so I can learn a bit more about the processes involved.

Also, any guidance on which software to use?

Many thanks!

Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
I use a CNC wood router machine at work to make bespoke stuff. We also have a laser engraver to make smaller wood stuff. These are two separate machines and I'm not aware of a machine that combines two different technologies. Example below.
IMG_20240907_170031_MP.jpgIMG_20240907_165949_MP.jpg

Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
IMG_20240907_170255_MP.jpgthe room sign was done on router on a nice piece of ash. The team crest was done on the laser cutter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Yes depends on metal alloys are better I've never tried on stainless

Mar 22, 2023
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
Does anyone here have one of these machines? I’ve not used one before but would like to experiment with a CNC-type machine that has a laser engraving head, for burning text and/or images into wood and metal.

I have Macs, not Windows, but could retrieve a Dell notebook PC that I’ve lent to a relative, if necessary.

I’d really appreciate advice as to a suitable machine to buy (preferably not uber pricy but capable) so I can learn a bit more about the processes involved.

Also, any guidance on which software to use?

Many thanks!
Generally speaking a CNC router has to be of much heavier construction than a Laser cutter. There is very little load on a laser cutter head, really just acceleration and deacceleration forces, where as the CNC router has to take the cutting forces of what ever is being worked.

Neither machine can totally cover the other machines capability.

The learning curve in using a CNC router is some what higher than a laser cutter.

Most hobby level laser cutters are Co2 machines and they do not cut metal, however they will engrave and etch metal when using a spray solution, it kind of gets burnt into the surface of the metal and can look truly superb, the C on the plate in the photo was laser etched. The rest of the plate was cut and engraved on a CNC milling machine.

Laser etching works great on wood and the laser cutters are very good at also cutting wood like 6 to 8 mm plywood.

I started off with a Chinese 40w laser cuuter, it got us going but then my son in law set it on fire !! We then bought an English made 80w machine called CTR (they were forced out out of business during covid) and this works great.

Download a piece of software called Lightburn, it is control software for laser cutting and it is simply the best software for this work.

What are you intending to make/engrave?

1725815089377.jpeg
1725815089377.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back