Clowns to the left of us, jokers ..... (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 DL (2017)
Exp
Well travelled
We had a crash into the rear of a car on the A9 at Dunkeld. He admitted liability, said he though it was a slip raos, hence driving straight out of a side road then slowing down in front of us, we had no chance of stopping so hit him square in the rear.

He changed his story, and said we deliberately ran into him. We now are using our legal cover and have a solicitor on the case.

The last converstion with her (the solicitor) was, he is now claiming the A9 is a 30mph road......and apparently our insurers (Saga) have agreed with him.

SWMBO put them right, anyone who know the A9, will agree it's 60mph, inour case we are limited to 50mph.

I keep saying, why would a motorhome valued at nearly £50k, deliberately run into the back of an old Vauxhall Corsa ?

as I said, jokers and clowns

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
We had a crash into the rear of a car on the A9 at Dunkeld. He admitted liability, said he though it was a slip raos, hence driving straight out of a side road then slowing down in front of us, we had no chance of stopping so hit him square in the rear.

He changed his story, and said we deliberately ran into him. We now are using our legal cover and have a solicitor on the case.

The last converstion with her (the solicitor) was, he is now claiming the A9 is a 30mph road......and apparently our insurers (Saga) have agreed with him.

SWMBO put them right, anyone who know the A9, will agree it's 60mph, inour case we are limited to 50mph.

I keep saying, why would a motorhome valued at nearly £50k, deliberately run into the back of an old Vauxhall Corsa ?

Feel for you as most of the insurance companies will at best go 50/50 these days, and for your situation they will blame you regardless of what the clown in corsa said at scene.
Dashcam footage would help but even then it would be hard one.

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Few years now
I was waiting to turn into a junction when a woman pulled out of the junction and straight into me. Like the OP they admitted liability, at the time but that changed the next day. It took 18 months to sort out ( in my favour), but still cost me a lot in both time & uninsured losses . All my vehicles now have dashcams to prevent this sort of incident & would urge anyone to get one fitted for your own protection.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!

Think parts of the A9 are now limited to 50mph for all vehicles (or perhaps less if hgv).

Could be wrong but the only 30mph bits I can think of are at Inveralmond and Inverness.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 DL (2017)
Exp
Well travelled
You may be right at Inveralmond ? but certainly NOT at Inverness.

Only 50mph for HGV's which we were classed as. All other vehicles are 60mph.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
You may be right at Inveralmond ? but certainly NOT at Inverness.

Only 50mph for HGV's which we were classed as. All other vehicles are 60mph.
I thought there was a wee bit coming down the hill into Inverness but given your location you'd know better than me. (y)

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Insurance is even more pointless these days. They just agree to all pay each other, swap money and charge us for the privilege. A complete con.
This^^^^^^^^^^^ in the UK.
It is a cartel.they do not even settle up claim by claim but hold a running total for year end divvying up. It's a monopoly.

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
This^^^^^^^^^^^ in the UK.
It is a cartel.they do not even settle up claim by claim but hold a running total for year end divvying up. It's a monopoly.
Nah, they do pay, I've had claims paid (2020).
If I didn't have dashcam footage would have settled 100% in their favour not the 100% in mine it ended up with.

Hvae a dashcam, make sure it's working, and you are best set for such cases. If you don't... 50/50 everytime.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
I thought the person going into the rear of another car was always at fault?

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Note our accident was a similar us hitting rear end of another car as we had slowed to a stop behind them, then they reversed full pelt into us. No dashcam, rear end, 100% their favour.

Not that I'm saying it was a cash for crash (driver ended up getting a NIP from police for it for the poor driving, and points and a retest), but the driver was foreign and didn't speak a word of English (despite UK van) and was working for amazon delivering apparently. Insurance was amazon provided at least and took 4 months to resolve in my favour.
Unless above and they reverse into you when you are stationary yes.

Working in insurnace if you can get police to do them for driving without due care, you can usually gte it 100% in your favour. Dashcam helps here as a car entering a road at 5mph with you barlleling towards them with no braking would usually do that. Dashcam.

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2021
Beverley, UK
Funster No
MH
Florium magister74ml
Exp
Been caravanner for over thirty years,now going to have motorhome very soon.

We had a deer jump straight through a hedge we were doing 45 ,sadly the deer died but all the damage to our car was below the bonnet grille front bumper.the insurance man took all the info and from a witness,then asked me Who do you think is to blame. Well obviously the deer,and his reply was oh yes your right.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
We had a deer jump straight through a hedge we were doing 45 ,sadly the deer died but all the damage to our car was below the bonnet grille front bumper.the insurance man took all the info and from a witness,then asked me Who do you think is to blame. Well obviously the deer,and his reply was oh yes your right.
That’s a funny as the insurance person was obviously not fit for the role

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Nah, they do pay, I've had claims paid (2020).
If I didn't have dashcam footage would have settled 100% in their favour not the 100% in mine it ended up with.

Hvae a dashcam, make sure it's working, and you are best set for such cases. If you don't... 50/50 everytime.
Yes I know they will pay you.What I was saying was they do not settle with each other just yearly. That's why they love 'knock for knock' makes it easier for them ,the scammers

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Usually but there are exceptions. 2 examples of situations where the person in the rear car is not to blame.
Pulling out onto a road without looking and getting thumped from behind by a car that cannot possibly stop in time.
Someone overtaking, pulling in and brake checking.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Usually but there are exceptions. 2 examples of situations where the person in the rear car is not to blame.
Pulling out onto a road without looking and getting thumped from behind by a car that cannot possibly stop in time.
Someone overtaking, pulling in and brake checking.
But only if you can prove it. They aren’t interested in what happened unless you can prove it.

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
I’ve installed a dash cam in all our vehicles.
Pretty inexpensive for the benefit they provide.
Exactly, they can save you tens of thousands for a £60-100 payment. It's honestly first thing we install in any new vehicle on public roads regardless of size.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
They are all a load of con artists. We are in the process of upgrading our car. Changing our 72 plate Vauxhall Crossland (£18k) for a new Kia Niro 4. (33K). Rang AA to change insurance.. told cannot as insurers will not insure new vehicle ?? but we can cancel the existing insurance (£300)ish and start a new for the new car.... let me see,,, £1040. best we can do.
Went online and they quote £600 eventually obtained for £530.:mad:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 DL (2017)
Exp
Well travelled
Hi Lenny, from the front it was cracked fibreglass.
But from behind in the engine bay, it was a whole new bumper assembly, two new radiators, bottom metal grille and tow eye cover.
They had to cut the front end off to get to everything, then refit it all and full front respray. The garage we go to is commercial, so lorries and coaches as well as motorhomes. They did a really good job and unless you looked behind the grill in the engine bay you would never know, except for the obviously new bumper assembly and radiators.
I never understood why the airbags never went off though, I think we hit the other car about 30 mph ?? he had almost stopped and we were doing no more than 50mph, I stood on the brakes so slowed quite a bit, but as he was right in front of us I couldn't miss him.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
There were major roadworks/ temp speed limits in force at Dunkeld in December 2023. I think replacement gas pipe. There were temporary speed limits imposed for a lengthy period of time. Memory a bit fuzzy but there was some sort of review by traffic commissioner due to local complaints. What the limit was I can’t remember but is it possible this is what other party is referring to?

Upvote 0
Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
Exactly, they can save you tens of thousands for a £60-100 payment. It's honestly first thing we install in any new vehicle on public roads regardless of size.
How and in what way would a dash cam save you 'tens of thousands' ?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back