Cleethorpes joins the motorhome haters (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Now confirmed that motorhomes will be banned from Marine Drive car park from 1 November.

Not that I ever used it but I know a few folk on here did.
Couple of extracts from the article.

""He added: "It is important we see action being taken at this car park due to the continued unauthorised use by motorhome owners, which have been preventing others to park. The measures that are being implemented mean many other vehicle users will be able to benefit from this parking facility going forward."""

""Ten dedicated motorhome spaces have previously been suggested for Thrunscoe Land. North East Lincolnshire Council said it was working with the Environment Agency on a proposed trial of the idea.""

'nuff said really.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Apparently they don't like overnight stays so the carpark will be closed overnight.
BUT they are also banning motorhomes during the daytime.

gordon

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Apparently they don't like overnight stays so the carpark will be closed overnight.

gordon
That is to stop them just happening to “forget to leave”. This action by the council is as a result of numerous long term stayers in the car park plus extensive water testing of Buck Beck showing E. coli. The FLT’s (some looked semi permanent) have only brought this upon themselves. Having been there many times I have absolutely zero sympathy for them, but do have sympathy for the day visitors in vans who now cannot get in there. At least cars will be able to park for the dog walkers now, which was a problem before.

It is also fairly remote (no water or waste facilities) so they really had no alternative but to put a barrier up as the most cost effective solution

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Now confirmed that motorhomes will be banned from Marine Drive car park from 1 November.

Not that I ever used it but I know a few folk on here did.
I think that your headline is extremely misleading. The plan all along was to install waste facilities and parking elsewhere as the article stated. The hold up is the environment agency who need to approve it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The biggest enemy of motorhomes are motorhome owners, .. not councils. Selfish actions and breaking parking regulations generally lead to councils taking action.

Down were we live they council took action against motorhomes who used the riverside parking for long stays, .. depriving day visitors of parking, so they put a 4 hour limit on parking and banned overnighting.

Guess what.. the new parking signs were either defaced or in one place 'disappeared' leaving a bare pole..

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The biggest enemy of motorhomes are motorhome owners, .. not councils. Selfish actions and breaking parking regulations generally lead to councils taking action.

Down were we live they council took action against motorhomes who used the riverside parking for long stays, .. depriving day visitors of parking, so they put a 4 hour limit on parking and banned overnighting.

Guess what.. the new parking signs were either defaced or in one place 'disappeared' leaving a bare pole..
Same thing happened at Huttoft

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Plenty of day parking in Cleethorpes especially the car park near the boating lake, and this time of the year the Haven site up the road was around £12 a night.
Quite agree and we do see MH’s parked there in the day

Aug 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
12 years

Totally agree. Living in a south coast town with free seafront parking, we’ve had a real issue with some motorhome owners. Overnight stays in motorhomes are banned, this rule is totally ignored. Some vans have stayed there for weeks at a time. There were 30 vans there overnight in the summer. Near by residents have complained about their behaviour and now the council are looking at how to solve the issue, some councillors want to ban Motorhome parking completely, this would be a real shame as lots of Motorhome owners just park up for the day to enjoy the beach.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Totally agree. Living in a south coast town with free seafront parking, we’ve had a real issue with some motorhome owners. Overnight stays in motorhomes are banned, this rule is totally ignored. Some vans have stayed there for weeks at a time. There were 30 vans there overnight in the summer. Near by residents have complained about their behaviour and now the council are looking at how to solve the issue, some councillors want to ban Motorhome parking completely, this would be a real shame as lots of Motorhome owners just park up for the day to enjoy the beach.
We plan to do exactly this in suffolk this weekend but because of the "few" poaching spots all weekend we suspect we'll need to drive up and go early and possibly divert to a motorhome allowing pub if we can't get in on the seafront "early" due to the aforementioned fulltimers in our towns...

Some fulltimers definitely do take the piss a bit giving us all a bad name just never moving. I just want to take the moho on a one night winter runout and wild camp for the "peace" on the seafront in the evening. Well assuming I don't need an Ark tommorow with the flooding anyhow.

Wondering if they should update the vehicle taxation system to only allow overnighting for a set max period, similar how to canal boats with a "non fixed" and instead a permanent cruising license cannot stay in one place for over a week.

Oct 25, 2022
Derventio, in the Kingdom of Mercia
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SL
Exp
Since 2018
Not rocket science to impose a two or three day limit on stays. Even charging a small amount and not allowing “camping activity”. Like most of Europe.
But it seems to be beyond the wit of most UK councils (with some notable exceptions such as Northumberland and Canterbury to name but two) to find ways to make some money out of tourism.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
We plan to do exactly this in suffolk this weekend but because of the "few" poaching spots all weekend we suspect we'll need to drive up and go early and possibly divert to a motorhome allowing pub if we can't get in on the seafront "early" due to the aforementioned fulltimers in our towns...

Some fulltimers definitely do take the piss a bit giving us all a bad name just never moving. I just want to take the moho on a one night winter runout and wild camp for the "peace" on the seafront in the evening. Well assuming I don't need an Ark tommorow with the flooding anyhow.

Wondering if they should update the vehicle taxation system to only allow overnighting for a set max period, similar how to canal boats with a "non fixed" and instead a permanent cruising license cannot stay in one place for over a week.
I would like to try and make a differentiation between fulltimers and vanlifers. Fulltimers are the ones who did this before the youtube fad really kicked off. Fulltimers tend to want to be under the radar and tend to avoid anywhere they would be identified.
Fulltimers have vans kitted out for living not surviving. ie we have showers, toilets etc etc. We tend to be of the older generation. We move frequently and try not to stand out or cause a problem.

Vanlifers have seen the youtube videos about living next to the river/sea/mountain/lake free of charge. They tend not to have any facilities in their van's other than a bed and seating. They don't give a stuff what anyone thinks and will find somewhere good and just stay there. They tend to be of the younger generation for the most part (but not all).

So when bad mouthing the longer term parkers like in this thread I think using the term vanlifer is probably more accurate as they are following the #vanlife social media thingy.

If you don't believe me type vanlife into the youtube search bar...

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Yeah agree Gromett, it's Vanlifers I mean. We havea full toilet, shower situation completely off grid and are not retired yet, but we didn't want to vanlife, as frankly couldn't bear to poo in a bucket. (Sorry I am greatly simplifying the vanlifers toilet situation but I think the chances of being able to park near the public convieniences at the weekend which is the best beach access is ... unlikely). We use our vans on weekends only unless lucky as frankly we don't have enough leave to do anything else.

Fulltimers in terms of the stealth vans with full facilities -> I have a neighbour with one, and the only reason you know it's a fulltimer and not a normal white large PVC is the solar on the roof.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I would like to try and make a differentiation between fulltimers and vanlifers. Fulltimers are the ones who did this before the youtube fad really kicked off. Fulltimers tend to want to be under the radar and tend to avoid anywhere they would be identified.
Fulltimers have vans kitted out for living not surviving. ie we have showers, toilets etc etc. We tend to be of the older generation. We move frequently and try not to stand out or cause a problem.
Agree with you, there is a difference,

however the motorhomes I've seen and referred to were not all "vanlifers", most were just motorhomers .. not just young people in vans, but mostly older people in normal motorhomes, campervans .. it's been an ongoing problem since we settled here in 2010

I first mentioned it back in 2010 ..

in 2020 .. ten years later and it's only gotten worse..

as you can see, a bit of a mix, vans, campervans and moho's ..and a horse box
bawdsey-parking.jpg.article-962.jpg

and also in Felixstowe, a similar problem ,

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Felixstowe is where we plan to go, we've been using the Cliff road car park for years in cars and looked jealously at the MH's during day. We'll move to the road parking once all the day trippers leave around 8pm and sleep overnight as it's lovely to see the (early) morning swimmers and paddleboarders when the weather permits (it may not this weekend).

But we go maybe 2 days a year, I doubt we are part of the problem and it's a same many are tarred with same brush. Suffolk coastal are terrible for MH access with only "daytime" spots around. It's why we may just bugger off to a pub in evening around Ipswich and have a few jars and stay somewhere we are wanted. It's a shame for Felixstowe really as we certainally won't be having a drink during day as we 100% have to move the van where if they had a proper aire, we would have had a beer or two in their establishments and broght a steak to cook from the local butchers.

Oct 31, 2023
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
master camper van
Exp
since 1976?
BUT they are also banning motorhomes during the

gordon
hi gordon just short reply been camper van owner over 40 years looks like no more fishing then once a month for 2 days fishing meet up there with 4 mates there with hight bar lock in the day time not open? as camper van is 8ft 4ins high the yellow hight bar is 6ft 7ins = 2mtrs ? would pay £1.50 to park all day do fishing for the day 4 mates all think the same by the way we all have camper vans the local council been talking about hight bar for long time some of locals have something to do with this they phone local council up every day making complaints when they live miles? away as well saying out loud look theres 5 vans park up in car park my self and 4 mates not agree with high bar been lock in day time from 6am to 10pm sad ending to good parking spot but it was comeing for long time sad the good news is there other places to park up carry on camping

Oct 31, 2023
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
master camper van
Exp
since 1976?
Plenty of day parking in Cleethorpes especially the car park near the boating lake, and this time of the year the Haven site up the road was around £12 a night.
hi mikeco thanks for your info will look that area next time go fishing in 3 weeks when meet up with 4 mates in there camper vans carry on camping

Apr 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
Herald 400RL
Cleethorpes has an aire at the other end of the pier. £10 to park 10am till 6pm the following day, extra £5 for leccy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back