Clampdown on coastal motorhome parking. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 6, 2024
York
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
15 Years
Read in the York Press this morning North Yorkshire Council are set to trial a restriction on overnight parking. These are Scarborough north bay, the A174 at Sandsend Whitby and Filey Road in Cayton Bay. This will be for 18 months, decision to be made this Friday.

OP
OP
Sparkie44
Feb 6, 2024
York
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
15 Years
FLTs reducing everyone's options again.

Ay mention of replacement aires by NY Council? Ha! I thought not.
Not only that, if it's successful, other areas may be considered. As far as replacement aires go, no chance as they were also quoting the safety aspect, 6m rule etc.

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Not only that, if it's successful, other areas may be considered. As far as replacement aires go, no chance as they were also quoting the safety aspect, 6m rule etc.
Simple solution is for motorhome spaces in large car parks that are 6m+ apart, key then is enforcement, both of proper use by motorhomers and the misuse of spaces by cars parking in them.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Locals in Whitby often complain about motorhome parking in sandsend and you can sort of see why. A way forward would be to allow motorhome parking in the evening until say 10 am with no return for 24 hrs but I think it's been so busy that public opinion would be against it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
They did the same a few years ago...... It didn't last long.
Then the council installed a service point... Fresh water and cassette disposal.. On the marine drive in one of the old buildings/cafes.
The only restriction that's stood the test of time is on the Esplanade.... But only in front of the buildings, further south past the clock tower, is akin to a CL/CS most evening/nights.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Where I park
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Exp
Since 1977
The 6m rule could be overcome by putting bollards/ fencing up so units can’t park too close.

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
Motorhomes eh!

According to the DVLA who turned down my application, they say it’s a VWW - Van With Windows!

I don’t fancy being a guinea pig though

Jan 21, 2014
Middle-Of-Nowhere, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too
More Motorhomes on the road and parking places diminishing… some locals somewhere are going to get pissed off….

Whenever that happens to me (which is quite rare as I prefer to be well off the beaten track) ..... I like to sing out loud >>>

"Everywhere I go, I get slandered, libelled" :LOL: (with thanks to Robson & Jerome)

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
Sandsend is nice and I've parked there overnight but....... I dont park near to the houses/toilet because I dont need to, I arrive in the evening and leave early morning and never in the school holidays. If I'm going to treat myself to a meal in the pub the extra few hundred yards I have to walk means I have earned my pint.
I'm sure there are some motorhomes parked there now, along with all the stealth campers, that have been there over a week 🤷‍♂️ and will be there probably a few more

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Well hopefully these people will now use campsites with facilities.
I for one didn't buy a motorhome thinking to sleep in lay-by and car parks.
What's the point of buying a Motorhome with full facilities if you are going to use campsites they are the last place I would want to stop.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Whenever that happens to me (which is quite rare as I prefer to be well off the beaten track) ..... I like to sing out loud >>>

"Everywhere I go, I get slandered, libelled" :LOL: (with thanks to Robson & Jerome)
Surely thanks to Simon and Garfunkel for the original and Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, Marsha Hunt and eventually Robson and Jerome? It's a song about longing to be home written by someone tired of touring so very apt for MHF . . .

Sorry. It's a quiet morning . . . . . .

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
I for one didn't buy mine thinking of always staying in campsites with facilities 😲
Otherwise I would have bought a tent ⛺
The dog sleeps in the tent😉
What's the point of buying a Motorhome with full facilities if you are going to use campsites they are the last place I would want to stop.
I prefer not to poo in a cupboard and my wife also prefers me not doing it.:(

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
More, chasing less will always end in the same way. The scheme will be dubbed " an outstanding success" whatever, because in general it doesn't affect local residents. One motorhome equates to two bucket and spade, or senior visitor cars, who also as a rule tip more into the local coffers than motorhome users do. There's no point in trying to negotiate with North York Council, they're impervious to reasoning, common sense, or any contrary opinion, been there, done that, wearing a different T shirt.
Mike.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
How bizzare that people don't use their expensive investments to it's full potential.
We have had this argument many times , it's up to what you want I suppose but it beats me why anyone would spend up to £100000 on something you are not going to use, any motorhome we have , the toilet and shower are the first things in , everything else we can compromise but our own bathroom is the absolute main thing.
If you are not going to use them but use campsite facilities you might just as well have a van with seats in.

Jun 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Overcab coachbuilt
Exp
20yrs
Simple solution is for motorhome spaces in large car parks that are 6m+ apart, key then is enforcement, both of proper use by motorhomers and the misuse of spaces by cars parking in them.
Yep in france its called an aire,😄.Been working there for decades, but might not work here with the self entitled me me me brigade, will prob need strict enforcement for it to work in uk.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We have had this argument many times , it's up to what you want I suppose but it beats me why anyone would spend up to £100000 on something you are not going to use, any motorhome we have , the toilet and shower are the first things in , everything else we can compromise but our own bathroom is the absolute main thing.
If you are not going to use them but use campsite facilities you might just as well have a van with seats in.

And if you parked at the other type of campsites, e.g. Holiday Inn and the like, you could use their toilet, shower and Bed !

Thus enabling you to throw out those items in the MH and saving even more space.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back