Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We've just come back from France.

As soon as we left the Northern part, we noticed that the kettle started to 'fur' up.
It mattered little, whether we used gas or electric.
Obviously there was calcium in the water and it sets like concrete.

Wandering around, I think it was Intermarche, I went on the lookout for a limescale remover.

I bought the product shown in the photo. Four desertspoon in a litre of water in the kettle and boiling it a couple of times, transferring the water between the kettles sorted it out.
I think it cost €4 or thereabouts.
IMG_20240702_084123.jpg

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Have been thinking of this for us, we live in a hard water area, but van gets affected too.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We've just come back from France.

As soon as we left the Northern part, we noticed that the kettle started to 'fur' up.
It mattered little, whether we used gas or electric.
Obviously there was calcium in the water and it sets like concrete.

Wandering around, I think it was Intermarche, I went on the lookout for a limescale remover.

I bought the product shown in the photo. Four desertspoon in a litre of water in the kettle and boiling it a couple of times, transferring the water between the kettles sorted it out.
I think it cost €4 or thereabouts. View attachment 917991
Keep your tub and then you can use it for storage as the kilo bags from amazon are just plastic bags - well that’s what I do anyway 🙂

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Does a brilliant job of cleaning the cassette as well, never without it its safe to use on almost anything.(y)

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Great stuff isn’t it! I did two electric kettles, home and Motorhome and then used the same fluid, with some extra powder to clean out the cassette. I have to say, I’m a complete convert. Forget your dishwasher tabs and other things, a kilo of citric acid is the dogs gonads!

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Keep your tub and then you can use it for storage as the kilo bags from amazon are just plastic bags - well that’s what I do anyway 🙂

That tub was 500grms.

I reckon it was good value at whatever. I'll have another look in September.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
For the kettle I use white wine vinegar only 35 cents a litre always bring back a few litres from France,. Use it on the Motorhome boiler as well, Truma used to recommend it.

Citric acid works slightly better but more expensive and leaves a sticky residue that needs a lot of rinsing.

A mixture of the two makes an awesome descaler, great for the cassette.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I have a friend who is development chemist in the oil industry. I asked hime what I could use to remove efflourescence from some newly laid porcelain patio tiles as the manufacturer recommended their own acid at an eye-watering price. Citric acid he said - and it worked a treat. A bit too well actually because it started to dissolve the grout too!

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
We live in Stockport.

This area has some of the softest water in the country. We mostly go away for weekends.

A week into our recent Outer Hebridean trip, the kettle started developing limescale.

Mrs CAB commented on this, noting that we don't experience this anywhere else we go.

We'll, I replied, we wouldn't, would we, 'cos we usually take our soft water with us :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 27, 2022
Funster No
MH
Consort PVC
Yes, I buy Citric acid from amazon (£7.50 for 2kg) and use it for general descaling. Will probably use it in the Moho to clean out the water system too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

• Back