Christmas day. What are your plans, family or away in the motorhome. (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
After the Hereford rally we had a mission to find somewhere for our Christmas day lunch as we are travelling from the northwest down to the south coast to catch a ferry to northern Spain. (When Brittany ferries release the December dates)
I had booked the camc site in Cirencester arriving on Christmas eve but we needed to choose a restaurant for Christmas day.
Sorted.
We have now booked "The Fleece" in the centre of town after a lovely meal was had the other night.
We did have an open invite to his sisters but wanted to get down country for our ferry.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Waiting for son and family to decide what they are doing. They were thinking of going away somewhere. If that happens we shall be at home and able to ignore the whole thing. If they stay we shall be either at their house or ours. We won’t be away in the van because we can ignore it better at home, too many sites want to celebrate it for some reason or other.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
home alone i expect, got kinda used to it over the years..
although last year was an exception. my daughter came to stay, was lovely..
That’s almost what I did last year, although decided to go up to my static, and one of the ladies said what are you doing for Christmas dinner, said I wasn’t bothering, as I walked into bar on Christmas Day she appeared with a plate wrapped in silver foil, biggest dinner I’ve had in years !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
We not certain yet, probably xmas day in the van like last year, probably Sandringham CACC site. We went to Canterbuty this last Christmas and enjoyed it, but we both preferred Sandringham over new years this year and are considering booking again. We may go further afield to the Lakes as we have family up there that is less manic than the family down south -> we're awaiting until December to actually book as we want to see the weather forecast ideally before committing to a location.

We can't be at home for risk we'll get invited to the super large family gathering at a pub, which neither of us like much (and my parents could miss too) - It's a group of 18 without us, so far too big by our liking for Christmas, and only 4 of them are "direct" family anyhow, as in mum dad, and my sister and husband. The rest are in-laws who we would only see at this event...... The issue is it's too large and someone always has to drive ... and the food is poor Thankfully we have 2025 Christmas booked already and we're on a ship at sea.

Last year we really enjoyed doing both the beef joint & the turkey in the motorhome. With it being cold at Christmas we use a cool box (outside) to allow us to do a week or more off grid withotu needing the shops + empty a locker. This year we have an exterior awning to act as a mud room too.

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I think it might be very quiet this year as daughter is getting married and getting posted to Panama in November. One son in Edinburgh and his girlfriend works in hospitality so tied. Other son in Glasgow so he might want to come down. If not then it might be a Panamanian Christmas as Claire certainly won’t get leave having only just arrived. I think we could cope with that haha.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I somehow managed to hive birth on Christmas Day so it is also daughter’s birthday.
Any ideas for trying to make it special? The day now overtaken by her children’s excitement at Christmas.
Ideally, I would go away to escape but that would be too mean.
Her other special day, wedding anniversary which is today, also now overtaken by Rosie’s pups, born a year ago today.

Upvote 0

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
That’s almost what I did last year, although decided to go up to my static, and one of the ladies said what are you doing for Christmas dinner, said I wasn’t bothering, as I walked into bar on Christmas Day she appeared with a plate wrapped in silver foil, biggest dinner I’ve had in years !

what a lovely thing for them to do, i bet you had the biggest smile and tum that day..

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Hopefully Portugal, plan to leave via Plymouth/Santander early October so our 90 days will run out around the 10th Jan 2025. Getting on a bit now so probably the last long run as the most we do a day now is around four hours at a time. Just also waiting for Brittany Ferries to announce winter timetable. I mailed them and the said around the end of July for the winter set.

Upvote 0

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
We never spend Xmas in the UK as It's just too dismal but this year we are struggling with finding a cat sitter so that's going to be a problem for the first time in over 10 years, usually though we are in Southern Spain / Algarve whichever has better weather. I will book the boat (Santander) when they are available, just in case we do find someone. Fingers crossed :)

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
I somehow managed to give birth on Christmas Day so it is also daughter’s birthday.
Any ideas for trying to make it special? The day now overtaken by her children’s excitement at Christmas.
Ideally, I would go away to escape but that would be too mean.
Her other special day, wedding anniversary which is today, also now overtaken by Rosie’s pups, born a year ago today.

How about making her an Honorary Royal and declaring an Official Birthday?
I'd go for 21st December (Solstice) or maybe 25th June because that way she might even be able to wangle two birthday's.

Or you could adopt the St Nicolas of some European countries and celebrate on 24th?

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
thing is, if you want to book at a restaurant or whatever for christmas day, you have to get in early, thats just how it is..

I notice schools already have bookings in for summer 2027.
They are also now collecting final deposits for the Summer 2026 trips.

Summer 2025 was sold out before Christmas 23.
Basically the schools are working 18 months ahead for fixed bookings and money and 3-5 years ahead for penciled in dates.

We have a holiday home and already have 2025 dates and I expect August 2025 to be sold out by September this year.

Likewise popular campsites, especially those frequented by the Germans and Dutch take high season bookings 12-18 months ahead.
Many campsites, especially Austria, Croatia, and northern Italy already know they are full for July and August 2025, and are happy to take a 2026 booking.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I notice schools already have bookings in for summer 2027.
They are also now collecting final deposits for the Summer 2026 trips.

Summer 2025 was sold out before Christmas 23.
Basically the schools are working 18 months ahead for fixed bookings and money and 3-5 years ahead for penciled in dates.

We have a holiday home and already have 2025 dates and I expect August 2025 to be sold out by September this year.

Likewise popular campsites, especially those frequented by the Germans and Dutch take high season bookings 12-18 months ahead.
Many campsites, especially Austria, Croatia, and northern Italy already know they are full for July and August 2025, and are happy to take a 2026 booking.

We are already booked for 2025 and 2026 winters in SE Spain!

Upvote 0
Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
I miss our Christmas in Norfolk at the Sandringham estate campsite our dog loved the beaches around there. We used to go every year until my mum in died 2017, leaving my step dad on his own so he always comes to us on Christmas day.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back