Choosing Portable Solar Panel for Temporary Use (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 28, 2024
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 1998
Thinking of getting one as a temporary fix for the newer MH we get tomorrow as won't have the time to fit a fixed roof one before we go away off hook up in 3 weeks. Our current old van has a 120w roof solar panel which has served us fine but happy to go a bit bigger. This sort of thing looks good for the price but is the price too good and the panel will be poor value maybe?

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Should solve your problem....I use a 200w but I also use a MPPT controller... personal choice....you should find this useful even when you get round to having fixed panels...
I find roof panels very unproductive in the winter...where flexible folders can be repositioned to gain maximum harvest..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pollypenny
Jun 28, 2024
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 1998
Should solve your problem....I use a 200w but I also use a MPPT controller... personal choice....you should find this useful even when you get round to having fixed panels...
I find roof panels very unproductive in the winter...where flexible folders can be repositioned to gain maximum harvest..
Thanks for that and I was considering an MPPT controller, although have only recently been reading up on how much better they are than PWM as hadn't really looked into it before. We always used PWM for our fixed panel and now wonder if this may be the reason we had to replace the leisure battery more often than seemed reasonable.....

Upvote 0

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Thanks for that and I was considering an MPPT controller, although have only recently been reading up on how much better they are than PWM as hadn't really looked into it before. We always used PWM for our fixed panel and now wonder if this may be the reason we had to replace the leisure battery more often than seemed reasonable.....
Not in anyway qualified to answer your battery problem...but fairly experienced now in the use of any solar panel advantages....for me, tilting or movable folding panels are well worth the money.
OK, we live in Spain, that's a good start...we need a good off-grid system because we ride eBikes for sport and leisure..
Taking advantage of a low sun is greatly achieved with a folding panel...early morning or late afternoon or more importantly wintertime. It's 7:30 here in Spain now and the sun is striking the van...if I needed solar now, my folding panel would be doing it's intended purpose...however my roof panel is still sleeping...or let's say...just waking up...from mid-day till 5pm sun high...all panels function equally....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pollypenny
Jun 28, 2024
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 1998
Not in anyway qualified to answer your battery problem...but fairly experienced now in the use of any solar panel advantages....for me, tilting or movable folding panels are well worth the money.
OK, we live in Spain, that's a good start...we need a good off-grid system because we ride eBikes for sport and leisure..
Taking advantage of a low sun is greatly achieved with a folding panel...early morning or late afternoon or more importantly wintertime. It's 7:30 here in Spain now and the sun is striking the van...if I needed solar now, my folding panel would be doing it's intended purpose...however my roof panel is still sleeping...or let's say...just waking up...from mid-day till 5pm sun high...all panels function equally....
Thank you, that makes complete sense :)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back