Charging problem? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
I have an Adria with a Nordelectronica NE237 charger. I arrived at a site in Spain, plugged in ehu, plugged in Martindale tester. No earth. Checked continuity from earth in 2 pin 240v sockets to end of hook up lead, all good. Tried another post and other outlets still no earth. Not too bothered as have RCD and double pole breakers. Everything appeared working OK. About 3 hours later I hit the control panel and noticed batteries still at 14.6v and showing 9 amps still going in. Thought this odd as I'd been on solar and had driven an hour. Batteries were full. Looked in the battery compartment and the battery was very warm. I disconnected it and gradually it cooled and everything worked fine. I continued for 2 days just on solar. Battery performed normally. Went to an aire for 3 nights used solar as no ehu. Everything OK. Drove an hour to another site. Plugged in to ehu. Martingale in 3 lights, all good. Battery began charging at 14.6v, 4 amps going in. 3 hours later still at 14.6v and 4 amps going in. Battery getting warm. I decided to remove the Internal charger fuse F7 on the Nordelectronica so that I still had ehu for fridge and hot water. The voltage dropped to 13.6v. Later I popped the fuse back in. Battery sat at 13.6v all night with 0.3 amps going in. Battery continued to cool. Left it on all night and this morn still at 13.6v and 0.3 amps going in abd the battery at room temp which is what I'd expect.
Was the missing earth anything to do with the overcharging? Does the charger need an earth as some sort of reference?
Does a battery get warm during charging?
Sorry for sure a long complicated post. Anyone got any thoughts?
I'm onsite for another night so will see what happens after the next site with ehu.

May 16, 2024
Funster No
MH
VW Crafter
I have an Adria with a Nordelectronica NE237 charger. I arrived at a site in Spain, plugged in ehu, plugged in Martindale tester. No earth. Checked continuity from earth in 2 pin 240v sockets to end of hook up lead, all good. Tried another post and other outlets still no earth. Not too bothered as have RCD and double pole breakers. Everything appeared working OK. About 3 hours later I hit the control panel and noticed batteries still at 14.6v and showing 9 amps still going in. Thought this odd as I'd been on solar and had driven an hour. Batteries were full. Looked in the battery compartment and the battery was very warm. I disconnected it and gradually it cooled and everything worked fine. I continued for 2 days just on solar. Battery performed normally. Went to an aire for 3 nights used solar as no ehu. Everything OK. Drove an hour to another site. Plugged in to ehu. Martingale in 3 lights, all good. Battery began charging at 14.6v, 4 amps going in. 3 hours later still at 14.6v and 4 amps going in. Battery getting warm. I decided to remove the Internal charger fuse F7 on the Nordelectronica so that I still had ehu for fridge and hot water. The voltage dropped to 13.6v. Later I popped the fuse back in. Battery sat at 13.6v all night with 0.3 amps going in. Battery continued to cool. Left it on all night and this morn still at 13.6v and 0.3 amps going in abd the battery at room temp which is what I'd expect.
Was the missing earth anything to do with the overcharging? Does the charger need an earth as some sort of reference?
Does a battery get warm during charging?
Sorry for sure a long complicated post. Anyone got any thoughts?
I'm onsite for another night so will see what happens after the next site with ehu.
Heya. Just curious as to whether you have a Solar Regulator, or an Automatic Charger unit hooked up between your panels and battery?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IRHP
Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Epever mppt solar controller. I tried disconnecting it but made no difference. Since pulling the fuse on the charging unit and putting it back in a few hours later it sat for 3 days absolutely fine at 13.6v with 0.2 amps to 0.3 amps going in. Battery stayed cool. I haven't been on ehu again so haven't had the chance to test it. I'm also wondering if all the plugging and unplugging to while trying to check the no earth problem could have caused some sort of confusion to the changing unit.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back