Charging EcoFlow power bank from solar panel (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
Cool,
that seems the perfect solution and not too complicated.
Will order one of those leads asap
Thanks for the info 👍

Graydo

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
Fridge would still have 240 to it but you just manually select gas.
There will be a normal trip consumer unit that you could throw the trip to fridge but really not needed just switch it to gas
One more question, would the solar panel still charge the leisure batteries with the kettle plug removed/isolated?

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
One more question, would the solar panel still charge the leisure batteries with the kettle plug removed/isolated?
In most vans it should, as on most I've seen it's directly wired to leisure battery via the charge controller.

As ever depends on your manufacturer though as some do wire things funnily. The reason to wire it direct is so that it keeps charging when you have your van isolator "off" for storage.

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
Even better, would only need to flick the switch again whilst on EHU (and swap cables)
I can query the leisure batteries voltage via my i-net unit which I assume will still operate.
If not, I'll know when the lights go out 😁

Thanks

Graydo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
Quick update,

Patch cable came today and fitted this afternoon.
When the eco flow is connected to ehu and the charger isolated I Can confirm that-

The heating works
The fridge works on gas (leccy too, but not for long on the ecoflow)
The i-net box works and accepts commands remotely as normal
The lighting works
The mains icon in the control panel does indeed NOT illuminate
The tracker works
The alarm works
The solar panel and shunt works and does indeed continue to charge the leisure batteries from solar panel.
Once the ecoflow unit is connected it shows zero draw until I use one of the 3 pin plugs.

With the ability to charge the ecoflow at night from the 12 v socket and leisure batteries (which in turn will recharge during the day from solar and driving) this should simplify electrical needs for future stays on aires/stellplatz.

Thanks again for the valuable information.

Only limiting factor now is how often I need to empty the toilet cassette but that's another story......
😁
Cheers

Graydo

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Quick update,

Patch cable came today and fitted this afternoon.
When the eco flow is connected to ehu and the charger isolated I Can confirm that-

The heating works
The fridge works on gas (leccy too, but not for long on the ecoflow)
The i-net box works and accepts commands remotely as normal
The lighting works
The mains icon in the control panel does indeed NOT illuminate
The tracker works
The alarm works
The solar panel and shunt works and does indeed continue to charge the leisure batteries from solar panel.
Once the ecoflow unit is connected it shows zero draw until I use one of the 3 pin plugs.

With the ability to charge the ecoflow at night from the 12 v socket and leisure batteries (which in turn will recharge during the day from solar and driving) this should simplify electrical needs for future stays on aires/stellplatz.

Thanks again for the valuable information.

Only limiting factor now is how often I need to empty the toilet cassette but that's another story......
😁
Cheers

Graydo
The other limiting factors, in addition to the cassette is, the amount of sun and driving (in the winter months) but you already knew that.

As you know, I know little of electrics of any kind but am trying to learn so have been reading some books to try and sort out a constant voltage leak on my 2023 Starter Battery
(Down from 12.85v to 12.67v in 24hrs) and I read in this Boat Electrics Book, just how much difference the Solar panel angle to the Sun truly makes.

It's tremendous! (but the book is about is about 15yrs old) 😄

I took have just acquired a Power Pack and, like you, am experimenting how best to use it. 👍

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
The other limiting factors, in addition to the cassette is, the amount of sun and driving (in the winter months) but you already knew that.

As you know, I know little of electrics of any kind but am trying to learn so have been reading some books to try and sort out a constant voltage leak on my 2023 Starter Battery
(Down from 12.85v to 12.67v in 24hrs) and I read in this Boat Electrics Book, just how much difference the Solar panel angle to the Sun truly makes.

I took have just acquired a Power Pack and, like you, am experimenting how best to use it. 👍
Many things affect the cab battery.
Radio, even when off can sapp power.
Tracker if fitted
Alarm if fitted
The electronics that dont fully go to sleep, remote door lock etc.
Age of battery, how well it has been maintained etc.
Battery master or almblemail trickle chargers shiuld be enough to keep it a float. Or a dedicated solar just for cab battery. Smallish cheap one as it dont have that much work to do

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp

I am fortunate that in the worst of the winter I can park the van outside my house and run a cable to it with the heating on low.
Getting the best from all lithium sources is a dark art for me also, lots of trial and error.

Hope you manage to isolate your leak.

Graydo

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
Tracker if fitted
Alarm if fitted
Battery master or almblemail trickle chargers shiuld be enough to keep it a float. Or a dedicated solar just for cab battery. Smallish cheap one as it dont have that much work to do
Thanks,
had the engine battery replaced this year as it was just over 5 years old.
I give it a run regularly over winter to fill up on gas and keep the rust off the discs.

Might get a trickle charger in the future.

I can also see through the victron bluetooth app that the hab battery is kept in float most of the time, although I like to plug something in every now and again to give them something to do.

Seen a few vans in storage that use a trickle solar charger in their windscreen though.

Graydo

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Tracker if fitted
Alarm if fitted
Tried a cheap one from Halfords, it didn't seem to work.
Someone told me that Solar doesn't work well behind windscreen glass but when I asked on here about that, no-one answered. 😢
When the sun shines, I now use a larger folding one or EHU every few days.

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
We may do saem this weekend, we leave tmrw, and it's so hot, we are thinking of taking the ICE machine which has a 10A constant draw on the 12v... We'll run it with our solar ocnnected on the array in the day (it'll still discharge slightly) then recharge using the leisure battery and the 12V 10A socket in evening, rinse, repeat, that way we'll be using the roof solar AND the solar array (portable) connected equally, and exercising the leisure battery a little. I'll probably set the delta2 for 60W charging when not using solar.
I have the ecoflow 100 watt version solar panel, when folded, it fits nicely into the rear cupboard on the van.
I am hoping that I can get away with just using the 100 watt panel on the roof though, but its a case of trial and error.

Graydo

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Cool,
that seems the perfect solution and not too complicated.
Will order one of those leads asap
Thanks for the info 👍

Graydo

I have done this to run the fridge off the batteries (via inverter)

It really is a simple as unplugging the electroblok (personally I think pulling the lead out is as easy as switching that switch!) and putting the fridge onto manual and selecting gas.

The fridge's electrics for the control panel will still run off the battery.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I have the ecoflow 100 watt version solar panel, when folded, it fits nicely into the rear cupboard on the van.
I am hoping that I can get away with just using the 100 watt panel on the roof though, but its a case of trial and error.

Graydo

I could have written that! 😄

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Someone told me that Solar doesn't work well behind windscreen glass but when I asked on here about that, no-one answered.
Must have missed that question, the glass reduces the light by about 10%, so not much effect really. It has a bigger effect on the infrared and UV parts of the spectrum, but solar panels mostly use the visible part which isn't affected much.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Must have missed that question, the glass reduces the light by about 10%, so not much effect really. It has a bigger effect on the infrared and UV parts of the spectrum, but solar panels mostly use the visible part which isn't affected much.

Appreciated that, I will now add a direct link to the Starter battery under the passenger side footwell and connect it to my 100w folder across the front seat while it's parked on my driveway.
I will only get direct sunlight for a few hours but if a small panel will do the job, hopefully the 100w will be more than adequate? 🤞

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Appreciated that, I will now add a direct link to the Starter battery under the passenger side footwell and lay my 100w folder across the front seat while it's parked on my driveway.
I will only get direct sunlight for a few hours but if a small panel will do the job, hopefully the 100w will be more than adequate?
The problem with a bigger panel is trying to avoid shadow on it - a small bit of shadow can cut the output a lot.

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
I have done this to run the fridge off the batteries (via inverter)

It really is a simple as unplugging the electroblok (personally I think pulling the lead out is as easy as switching that switch!) and putting the fridge onto manual and selecting gas.

The fridge's electrics for the control panel will still run off the battery.
In my case the kettle lead was behind a heating ducting pipe and a ton of wires and a hinged vent.
I have situated the patch cable so the switch is just reachable without having to unhinge the cover and dig about behind the wires but I suppose everyones setup may vary.
I am well pleased that the heating, lighting and fridge all run off the leisure batteries with this setup,(with panel switched on) whilst using the ecoflow purely to power the 3 pin ac sockets.

Graydo

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
The problem with a bigger panel is trying to avoid shadow on it - a small bit of shadow can cut the output a lot.

I'll try the little one again and place it, with the suckers provided, in the centre of the screen and see if anything comes through with my multimeter? 👍

Edit, I might even try both and measure the difference?
All I need then will be a little more sun! 😢

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I noticed that, as my driveway where the van is parked faces roughly North and my folding panel has two panels, I had hoped to have one facing towards the East for the morning sun and one facing East for the evening sun, and had hoped to get about 40w from either.
Will that work,he asks hopefully! 😄

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
It should work if the panels have solar controllers, but they may interact and pull each other down if they don't. Worth a try, though.

And a problem with very small panels is that a solar controller consumes a small amount of power, and the small panel ends up just powering the controller, with nothing left for the battery. That's why you don't see panels smaller than about 50W with a solar controller.

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
I have a permanent 10 amp 12 volt socket in the back of the van which will charge the ecoflow delta 2 with the appropriate cable from the leisure batteries (two 110 lithiums).
The leisure batteries are replenished with the 100 watt solar panel on the roof.
I am interested to know how well this works.
I have just purchased a Bluetti AC70 power bank and intend using this method to charge it.
We currently have 230W of solar and two 100ah AGM batteries.
I am concerned that the AC70 would drain too much power from the leisure batteries when charging, but I would only connect the AC70 when the leisure batteries are full and the sun is shining. (The AC70 capacity is approx 60ah). Do you see any problems with this?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Windscreen solar
When I used to go to Oz for6+ weeks, I always came back to a flat battery.
I got one of the little AA ones plugged into the OBD port - and never had a flat battery from there on.
I'm not claiming it fully charged the battery but it partially compensated for the parasitic drain.

17195747939482116101788526549484_copy_800x800.jpg

So I'm sure a larger panel even if not ideally positioned will deliver something.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Windscreen solar
When I used to go to Oz for6+ weeks, I always came back to a flat battery.
I got one of the little AA ones plugged into the OBD port - and never had a flat battery from there on.
I'm not claiming it fully charged the battery but it partially compensated for the parasitic drain.

View attachment 916214

So I'm sure a larger panel even if not ideally positioned will deliver something.
Just got my small Halfords one that looks very similar and placed it in the West passenger window which seems to have the best sun amount and connected it directly to the Starter battery so we will see?

I put my multimeter onto the connections before I connected and it read 22v in bright sunlight, is that correct? 😱

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
I am interested to know how well this works.
I have just purchased a Bluetti AC70 power bank and intend using this method to charge it.
We currently have 230W of solar and two 100ah AGM batteries.
I am concerned that the AC70 would drain too much power from the leisure batteries when charging, but I would only connect the AC70 when the leisure batteries are full and the sun is shining. (The AC70 capacity is approx 60ah). Do you see any problems with this?
So am I, 😁
The ecoflow is a new.addition to the van and was bought to use mainly abroad due to their usually being more sun.
I would say that you are in a better position to replenish your leisure batteries than me as I only have 100 watt of solar panels but that I should be able to drain my lithiums down more than AGM's.

So mileage may vary😁

I can see in the history of my victron app that in 3 years of owning my lithium batteries the.max I have depleted them is 86 amps.
That would still leave me with 134 amp hours spare, so with the addition of the ecoflow I hope that will be sufficient.

I'm not electrically qualified, but in my (amateur) opinion you may be a little light on batteries given you can only drain to 50 percent.

Graydo

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I put my multimeter onto the connections before I connected and it read 22v in bright sunlight, is that correct?
That's the 'Open Circuit Voltage' Voc. A solar cell doesn't behave like a battery or or battery charger. If it's connected to a low resistance device like a battery, the voltage drops to the battery voltage, and gradually rises as the battery becomes charged. If it's a low power panel (up to 30W or so) it won't produce enough milliamps to raise the voltage enough to harm the battery. But anything bigger than about 30W needs a solar controller to avoid overcharging.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back