Charge Powerbank While Driving (6 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 8, 2018
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SLB
Exp
Since 2018
I want to charge my powerbank while driving. It can charge from a 12v (fag lighter) socket which gives around 90 - 100 watts. OK but can I do better? I have an Adria Twin with a standard MH electric system

When driving I am essentially off grid in that the 230v 13amp sockets are dead. Question - If I put an inverter in that socket will there be 12v power there that the inverter can convert to 230v power?

The powerbank also has solar connections. Should I seek to divert the solar panel on the roof to the powerbank instead of vehicle and leisure battery as it is now?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I want to charge my powerbank while driving. It can charge from a 12v (fag lighter) socket which gives around 90 - 100 watts. OK but can I do better? I have an Adria Twin with a standard MH electric system

When driving I am essentially off grid in that the 230v 13amp sockets are dead. Question - If I put an inverter in that socket will there be 12v power there that the inverter can convert to 230v power?

The powerbank also has solar connections. Should I seek to divert the solar panel on the roof to the powerbank instead of vehicle and leisure battery as it is now?

Sounds to me like you need a battery to battery preferably with a lithium battery and inverter rather than a power bank.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that

if the power bank is that important whilst driving you could wire it direct to either battery using anderson plugs and appropriate leads with fuses

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Lots of issues to be considered before deciding best options.

The Powerbank, what is it's capacity, what is it's max input charge rate, what are the charge methods and their max ratings (12v socket, USB C, solar plug, 230V).

What is your existing vehicle systems, leisure battery size & type, charger types, solar, etc.

For best solution you will probably want to connect the powerbank charging system direct to the leisure battery so it is on regardless of any isolation that cuts habitation electrics when the engine starts. But try to find something that charges at voltage similar to the 12V vehicle or powerbank voltage. To fit even a small inverter to raise power from 12V to 230V and then back down to the powerbank would be inefficient, but may be fastest charging of your powerbank input options.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
if the power bank is that important whilst driving you could wire it direct to either battery using anderson plugs and appropriate leads with fuses
The power bank probably has a higher internal battery voltage than 12V. The limitation is probably the internal circuitry that steps the voltage up to the required level. The mains charger and solar inputs are likely to be a higher voltage to start with and as a result can charge quicker.

Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
Hi. I have an Anker 767 and charge like you but also with 400watts solar when static. On the Anker FB group there has been chat about Anker not having an alternative to the new eco flow “alternator charger’ which throws in loads of watts and even reverse charges. Expensive though. A company call pecron do a 500 watt b2b device that charges at over the 31 volts that the Anker needs but can’t purchase it in the uk at the minute (if anyone can find a work around to purchasing in uk please let me know. It’s available in Europe and USA 🙄). Anyway, the pecron charges any power bank through the solar port at between 400 and 500 watts. And can be hooked up to hab or leisure. Costs about £175. The VictronConnect voltage boost only goes to 30 v so no good to get the 20 amp charge in mine. Hope this info helps. Please excuse any typos as on phone and wrong glasses! Cush

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Using 12 volt DC to invert to 220 AC to transform down to 12 DC to charge what some call a “power bank” is stupid

A powerbank, solar generator et all is a small battery in a box with and inverter connected to it.

If you must use a boxed battery/inverter setup, organise a pair of short robust DC 2 DC charging leads from your leisure battery

Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Using 12 volt DC to invert to 220 AC to transform down to 12 DC to charge what some call a “power bank” is stupid
Agreed. Some YouTubers are trying to run a small inverter off the van battery to run a smallish inverter then run the ax power cable. Not my choice

Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
If the powerbank is an ecoflow, there is a B2B especially for the job.

OP
OP
TheBows
Jul 8, 2018
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SLB
Exp
Since 2018
Thank you to all who replied. I think my best option is to wire the power bank to the leisure battery. Please can someone describe the cables / fuses I need to do this. Some links to Amazon / Ebay would be excellent.

Also let me clarify that I am not a YouTuber and not therefore inherently stupid.

Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Also let me clarify that I am not a YouTuber and not therefore inherently stupid.
😂
What brand PB do you have? Just curious, don’t have the skills to help with a direct power install. Sorry. But will be watching. Which port you going to put the power in solar / 12 v?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Thank you to all who replied. I think my best option is to wire the power bank to the leisure battery. Please can someone describe the cables / fuses I need to do this. Some links to Amazon / Ebay would be excellent.

On the instructions do you have a DC input? What type is listed?

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
😂
What brand PB do you have? Just curious, don’t have the skills to help with a direct power install. Sorry. But will be watching. Which port you going to put the power in solar / 12 v?
Anker767 see original post

1720186170668.png

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Yes, you can do better. But you might need to buy and wire in an extra gadget or two. First look at the maximum amps that the power bank can take into its 12V charging input. Often that is quite low, maybe 8A to 10A. So even if you had a powerful supply from the alternator, you could not charge more than 100W to 120W by that method.

What is the make/model of the power bank? There is another method that is possible if the power bank battery is smaller than your leisure batteries. If you know you will be driving for a few hours, you could start recharging the power bank from the leisure battery via the (slow) 12V charging input, a few hours before you start driving. The power will come from the leisure battery. Then as you drive, the leisure battery is recharged at a fairly fast rate (25A?), so that both the power bank and the leisure battery are full at the end of the driving.

To charge it through the 'solar' input, you could use a B2B charger like the Pecron or Ecoflow chargers in links above from Cush and Tigger-Tim. These take charge direct from the alternator when the engine is running.

Another possibility if you really want to charge up the power bank while driving, is to use the 230V mains charger, which can probably charge it up in an hour or so, and will probably have a power requirement of about 800W to 1000W. The details will be on the charger label. To do that you will need an inverter, big enough to power the charger, so probably a 1200W Pure Sine Wave type.

An inverter like that will take a large current from the leisure battery, probably around 100 amps. You will also need a B2B (ie a DC-DC charger), running off the alternator, pushing power into the leisure battery when the engine is running. A heavy duty B2B charging at 120A would be best, but a 70A would more or less keep up with the load I think. You need to check that your alternator is OK to supply that number of amps, in addition to its normal load.

brocola

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2020
West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Since 2020
I want to charge my powerbank while driving.
If you're technically confident, some people seem to be using a 12>24 volt converter and the solar input to charge at a faster rate/higher power than the 12V input can accept.

Here's one example using a Victron Orion 12/24 Converter

Or another using a cheaper Amazon 12/24 volt converter.

OP
OP
TheBows
Jul 8, 2018
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SLB
Exp
Since 2018
😂

The power bank is an Anker 757. I have no electrical skills so cannot comment on ports.

Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
No more comment required.
I know but this may help you and Mr Vanbitz son. The 757 has a charge rate through the solar / 12v xt60 port of max 300 watts at 11-30 v, (unlike the 767 which will take 20 amps at 33 volts). Think the only way to get faster charging thank you are getting is via the ac input from an inverter. Good luck

Input:

AC Input Voltage: 100-120V~ 12A Max, 50Hz/60Hz

AC Input Power (Charging): 1000W Max

AC Input Power (Bypass Mode): 1440W Max

Solar Panel Input: 11-30V 10A (300W Max)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
If you use an XT60 plug into the port that will (allegedly) accept 300w why wouldn’t it accept 300 watts at 12 volt from a dc charge source?

Personally to anyone who has already bought on, charge it up at home from mains, ensure your solar is charging your fitted leisure battery, get a B2B fitted if you can afford it ( you should be able to, after all you bought a little battery, connected to a little inverter all hidden in a little box 😉) and get it out if and when you need it.

Think of it as a one shot use thing, take it home and charge it up for the next time you don’t need it

Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
you should be able to, after all you bought a little battery, connected to a little inverter all hidden in a little box 😉

Unless you inherited it 😔
If you use an XT60 plug into the port that will (allegedly) accept 300w why wouldn’t it accept 300 watts at 12 volt from a dc charge source?
I guess it should 🤔

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

• Back