Channel Crossing Advice (1 Viewer)

Feb 10, 2024
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
We are looking into a tour to Europe, (first timers!), and have been looking into the cost of ferries, tunnel etc...
Seems a bit of a minefield as for example, P&O offer a flexi package to allow for being late, DFDS don't offer this option and the tunnel, although much quicker seems double the price!
Advice appreciated as to preferred methods of crossing the ditch please!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We nearly always use Newhave/Dieppe but we live near Newhaven. It's often cheaper than Dover /Calais with the 20% discount.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thank you but I think it's a bit out of my way and a 4-5 hour crossing?
It's a 4 hour crossing.
How is it out or your way if you live in Gloster it's a lot nearer than Dover.
If we are going down the west or centre of France Newhaven /Dieppe saves us nearkt 400 miles on a round trip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
It's a 4 hour crossing.
How is it out or your way if you live in Gloster it's a lot nearer than Dover.
If we are going down the west or centre of France Newhaven /Dieppe saves us nearkt 400 miles on a round trip.
I would second Lenny HB Newhaven Dieppe is great. We travel down from Northumberland and usually park up at 10pm to get the early crossing the next morning. A relax on the boat and then we put 3-5 hous in on the other side. We do tend to use Dover Calais on the way back though. The tunnel prices seem to have gone a bit mad these days. Enjoy your trip whatever way you go.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Keep an eye on tunnel prices they do change,

I dont use ferries anymore, the extra money for the tunnel is worth it to me for the time and flexibility

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Tunnel every time for us. Very easy, quick and convenient.

I don't think I've ever found it cost twice as much but it does normally cost more. And if travelling 'avec' your pooch it's a no brainer.
We tend to use the tunnel if we want to set off early from home. It is usually more flexible if we arrive a bit early, or indeed late. However, I do enjoy setting off from home in the afternoon for Newhaven-Dieppe the next morning as there is no pressure on the journey time down.

Apr 9, 2022
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 1984
It all depends on where you are heading when you get to the continent and how important the ferry price is compared to the most enjoyable experience. From Gloucestershire you would almost certainly have a nicer start to your holiday if you used Brittany Ferries from either Plymouth, Poole or Portsmouth. Not only would you avoid the hellish M25 but you would arrive in a more attractive part of France (in my opinion anyway). Roscoff is a particularly easy port for a first timer as you are not launched straight into a large busy town.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We are looking into a tour to Europe, (first timers!), and have been looking into the cost of ferries, tunnel etc...
Seems a bit of a minefield as for example, P&O offer a flexi package to allow for being late, DFDS don't offer this option and the tunnel, although much quicker seems double the price!
Advice appreciated as to preferred methods of crossing the ditch please!
If you are looking for the cheapest then the shorter crossings are the ones to aim for although I will be happy if I never see Dover again. :)

Newhaven/Dieppe is a good option but from Gloucester have a look at sailings from Portsmouth as well or even down our way from Plymouth. The advantage of Plymouth is you avoid the crush of traffic you will find around Portsmouth. Price will be higher but for us convenience wins out - it's 15 minutes from home.

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
We used to do tunnel. When we started 8 years ago you could get a crossing for about £70. Now it's always over £200. So we've stopped doing it. Also on the last two occasions we did use it, the trains were running late and they were only running 2 an hour instead of 3, so we had to go on later crossings. The trains are now looking in bad condition so it's not surprising they're on a reduced service. So we're converts to the Newhaven-Dieppe ferry. There's a 20% discount for seniors if you book over the phone.
And as regards taking your pet, you do have to leave it in the van during the crossing, but if the sea is reasonably calm you can request to go back to your van to check on it part way through.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
We tend to use Irish ferries on the dover Calais crossing because it is the cheapest. I also prefera bit of sea air to the tunnel and we're not in a rush.

I tend to book the cheapest non refundable tickets and make sure we are on time. I book late - maybe the day before (always availablity unless it's peak holiday which we don't travel at) and then there is little chance of needing to cancel for any reason.

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
Same as others. We use the tunnel with Tesco vouchers particularly as we have a Tesco credit card and our mobile phones are on Tesco contracts. We'll also use Newhaven to Dieppe on the night sailing using the discount to book a cabin. One nightcap in the bar and three hours sleep gives me enough energy for perhaps five hours driving the next day. We tend to take the Saturday afternoon ferry coming back giving us time to do the market in the morning and a last wine and cheese shop at the hypermarket not far from the racecourse

OP
OP
DK1083
Feb 10, 2024
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
It all depends on where you are heading when you get to the continent and how important the ferry price is compared to the most enjoyable experience. From Gloucestershire you would almost certainly have a nicer start to your holiday if you used Brittany Ferries from either Plymouth, Poole or Portsmouth. Not only would you avoid the hellish M25 but you would arrive in a more attractive part of France (in my opinion anyway). Roscoff is a particularly easy port for a first timer as you are not launched straight into a large busy town.
Going to Lake Garda, Italy…:unsure:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back