Changing to a Lithium Leisure battery (24 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 16, 2024
Funster No
MH
Burstner 745
We have a 2021 Burstner 745 and want to change the leisure battery to one with more storage capacity. I have been receiving conflicting information as to whether I can do a straight swap for the 85 Ah lead acid to a 200 Ah lithium battery (of the same physical size). We have a Burstner fitted 120 watt PV cell on the roof. Some say yes, just change it; others say no because the Burstner charger isn't compatible. Any advice please? Thanks, Chris

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It is possible to just change them but I don't think you will get the best life or performance out of the battery unless the solar controller and the mains charger have a lithium setting. You should also consider fitting a B2B for rapid charging after running the battery down.

Upvote 0

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Boats Caravans & Motorhomes for 25 years
We have a 2021 Burstner 745 and want to change the leisure battery to one with more storage capacity. I have been receiving conflicting information as to whether I can do a straight swap for the 85 Ah lead acid to a 200 Ah lithium battery (of the same physical size). We have a Burstner fitted 120 watt PV cell on the roof. Some say yes, just change it; others say no because the Burstner charger isn't compatible. Any advice please? Thanks, Chris
I had the same idea but my understanding was that there is no economical way to make the change and I did not want to spend £1k plus.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chris1949
Apr 16, 2024
Funster No
MH
Burstner 745
It is possible to just change them but I don't think you will get the best life or performance out of the battery unless the solar controller and the mains charger have a lithium setting. You should also consider fitting a B2B for rapid charging after running the battery down.
Thanks, nothing's simple!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chris1949
Apr 16, 2024
Funster No
MH
Burstner 745
I had the same idea but my understanding was that there is no economical way to make the change and I did not want to spend £1k plus.
Thanks, nothing's simple!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I would just change to the lithium. Your battery charger will not charge it to full capacity if its a standard pb acid charger but it will charge it to 90 % or so which is still better than the amps in your 85ah battery. If you travel a lot then a b2b charger is ok but if you spend days at one place then it may not be that cost effective. I would consider increasing your solar and changing your controller to a lithium compatible mppt.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
On Order.Carado V337
You say Burstner... Fiat Ducato cab ??? I did a straight "drop in" of a Fogstar drift 230 (Under the drivers seat) Lithium battery on my 2023 model ..... the 2023 will charge directly from the Alternator and don't think it needs a Lithium specific charger, Get in touch with them and ask the question direct ...
No idea as to how you van is setup re position of the Leisure batt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chris1949
Apr 16, 2024
Funster No
MH
Burstner 745
I would just change to the lithium. Your battery charger will not charge it to full capacity if its a standard pb acid charger but it will charge it to 90 % or so which is still better than the amps in your 85ah battery. If you travel a lot then a b2b charger is ok but if you spend days at one place then it may not be that cost effective. I would consider increasing your solar and changing your controller to a lithium compatible mppt.
Thanks. We tend to spend most of our time 'off grid' preferring to find quiet locations but usually move on every couple of days so the engine will charge the battery if it isn't being charged by the PV cell. Cheers

Upvote 1
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Get advice about whether you should disconnect the split charge relay as lithium battery can try to pull lots of charging amps as they accept charge so much faster than lead acid.
B2B replaces the mechanism.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chris1949
Apr 16, 2024
Funster No
MH
Burstner 745
You say Burstner... Fiat Ducato cab ??? I did a straight "drop in" of a Fogstar drift 230 (Under the drivers seat) Lithium battery on my 2023 model ..... the 2023 will charge directly from the Alternator and don't think it needs a Lithium specific charger, Get in touch with them and ask the question direct ...
No idea as to how you van is setup re position of the Leisure batt
Yes, it is on a Ducato chassis with the L Battery under the seat. When you say "get in touch" do you mean Burstner or the selling dealer (who we have found to be as much use as a chocolate fireguard).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
On Order.Carado V337
Hi Chris ..Go direct to Fogstar ( or your chosen supplier ) .... the only thing I had to do was buy some new M 8 or M 6 ??? threaded rod to replace the short
ones for a standard battery

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back