Change passenger 2 seats to single seat. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 12, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Fiat Ducato (2013), thinking of changing the passenger 2 seater to single seat to allow easier access to the living area.
Anyone had this done?
Ballpark cost?
Gotcha's?

Thanks in advance.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
If you can buy a single passenger seat it’s an easy change as the bolts for the base are exactly the same. You may have to get an auto electrician to stop the middle seat belt from showing as a fault and also make sure that the seat that you buy has the same seat belt stalk as the existing one.
edit.. You can pinch the stalk from the double seat and swop it for the one on the new seat if it’s not the same.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Had this same problem...single seat needs to be LHD , sometimes on eBay but an arm and a leg .I modified the double seatbase frame ( not difficult) and the drivers seat to seat frame and fitted a pair of leather seats from a BMW with electric adjust,seat belt buckles swop easily ..all sounds very complex but is not if you have a mig welder and angle grinder all done in a morning..the bonus was I sold my drivers seat at twice what I paid for the 2 replacement seats.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Outdoorrambo
Feb 12, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Had this same problem...single seat needs to be LHD , sometimes on eBay but an arm and a leg .I modified the double seatbase frame ( not difficult) and the drivers seat to seat frame and fitted a pair of leather seats from a BMW with electric adjust,seat belt buckles swop easily ..all sounds very complex but is not if you have a mig welder and angle grinder all done in a morning..the bonus was I sold my drivers seat at twice what I paid for the 2 replacement seats.
Unfortunately I'm not that savvy with engineering to attempt that but a great idea and definitely food for thought...just need to find someone locally in the know 😀

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
You may want to consider a swivel plate as well to turn the seat around into the van

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
If you want to add swivel a lowered seat mounting is needed not cheap Magnum motorhomes have them and the swivel on their website,also often on ebay

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
If you want to add swivel a lowered seat mounting is needed not cheap Magnum motorhomes have them and the swivel on their website,also often on ebay
Not always the case, both of my front seats have normal bases and swivel plates.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Don't you need a LHD drivers seat, or the seatbelt receiver will be in the wrong place???
Usually they have holes both sides-If not drill a hole -
On my lhdrive Transit I have fitted another lhdrive drivers seat . Fits straight on same mountings that part of the double does, just removed the arm rest on the right hand side.
So the same could be done with a rh drive drivers seat used as a passenger seat.

OP
OP
Outdoorrambo
Feb 12, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Well after a lot of thought and investigation we've found a single passenger seat on eBay (£500) but we will mitigate some of the cost by reselling the current 2 seater bench seat (hopefully he says) as it's in good condition. Anyway, these kind ladies in the video show how easy it is to change from a 2 seater to a single seat...(but for the seat belt bit i'll be calling on a mechanic friend just incase i screw it up :LOL: )

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Well after a lot of thought and investigation we've found a single passenger seat on eBay (£500) but we will mitigate some of the cost by reselling the current 2 seater bench seat (hopefully he says) as it's in good condition. Anyway, these kind ladies in the video show how easy it is to change from a 2 seater to a single seat...(but for the seat belt bit i'll be calling on a mechanic friend just incase i screw it up :LOL: )
In my and several others experience (mine was 2 yrs old and mint) double seats have no value...I fitted 2 X BMWeather seats and sold the original drivers seat

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I think the middle seat's seatbelt buckle receiver has to remain because it has a seatbelt pretensioner safety system in it. If you disconnect it, it triggers an airbag light. So what generally happens in conversions is you find the middle seat's buckle receiver is cable tied up in the seat base, but still connected to its electrics.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
In ours we installed a captain's seat which turned around for access to hab area.

OP
OP
Outdoorrambo
Feb 12, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Well eventually got round to doing this and the single seat is all fitted, whoop, whoop!
The DVLA and Insurance have been informed that it's now a 2 seater and not 3 seater and MOT passed, hooray!...but as has been said the double bench seats are worthless, even the local council's recycle centre would not accept it as it's classed as a 'car part' and not recyclable!!!
Anyway, took me an hour but stripped it down to bare metal, the foam and covering have gone in the non-recycling home bin and the 'heavy' metal frame has been left out for the ever patrolling scrap metal men....phew! :p

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back