Chains or locks whilst out and about. (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
I don't think bike shops recommend them -

We have 4 of these.

Relatively simple to break them if you know how to Google but solid looking to an unknowing thief, easy to carry, 2 seconds to put on and off, no keys.

And have been successful for 4 years .... So far.

Amazon about 15-20 quid

Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
Well to be honest if a thief wants your bike it’s gonna go.
It seems crazy to carry massive & presumably heavy locks around while on a leisure ride. They will reduce the miles for a start. I also assume that any chain/lock could easily be cut with a battery grinder.
Not wishing to tempt fate I’ve had my e-bike for several years now & have always use a simple light weight coded cable from a Chinese shop. It cost about 3 euros. The bikes a bit scruffy but works great.
I always attach it to a bit of street furniture in the open when necessary. Maybe it’s not bright & shiney enough to steal!
It sits secured on the rear rack when travelling or not in use. Although to be honest the whole rack is only held on by 4 10mm nuts & could easily be off in a jiffy.
We have been all over Europe too.

Just my opinion.

Jul 26, 2019
Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
McLoius Fusion
Exp
Since 2019
We use a D Lock, a metal one that folds away and a couple of normal combinations. We’re thinking of purchasing quick release pedals as this would prevent anyone peddling away, I think all we’re trying to do is make our bikes slightly harder to nick than the ones next to it but if they want them they take them.
The thing with the grinder proof ones is they’ll just cut the pole, few YouTube videos where they cut the metal the bike is secured to so no lock would prevent this.
We have been using these on our e-mountain bikes for over 2yrs now with zero issues. Like you say, they’re not riding away on it when the peddles are in my backpack

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
I use Litelok Core Plus version. Various cables in some sort of outer mesh. They claim the mesh catches some of the dics cutter blades and also the cable cutter thing and similarly the different cables make it different to chew through them. They suggest some can be body worn around waist but in reality not that comfortable as they are heavy and don't flex much.

I don't think any lock will deter a determined equipped scooter but makes it unattractive that they chose an easier target.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
This is my bike lock. Had it about 10 years now, used it with the scooter too, gets good reviews on amazon.

Kryptonite Unisex's Evolution Chain Lock, Black/Orange, 10mm x 55cm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006QN0MIU?tag=mhf04-21

Screenshot_20240906_144031_Opera.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Globescout
My expensive e-bike has a Dutch/Cafe lock with small Abus chain to wrap around street furniture.I don't worry about theft on the street because the bike is never out of my sight. With the Dutch lock they'd have to carry it away after cutting the light chain. If there is no out door seat at that seductive Euro cafe or restaurant I move on. On the rack on the back of my PVC the bike is secured with a Squire Motorbike Sold Secure Gold chain and Squire Sold Secure Gold padlock through the towing bracket. Dutch lock on,bike rack securing bracket locked,Vanbitz growler alarm loop on.Bike always under it's Bags4less cover, batteries removed. It is at it's most vunerable on the van, but the thing is for riding not whittling about. At home it is in a brick built outhouse with barred locked security door behind the locked wood door.Then a very heavy Squire Motorkbike Sold Secure Gold chain that runs through a ground anchor in the concrete floor and the chain I use on the van through a wall anchor.Both locked with Squire Sold Secure Gold locks. Despite all this I cannot get insurance with anyone as my outbuilding is on a shared yard and not in the curtilage of my property. I could put the bike in my wooden garden shed with nothing to secure it to and they will insure me. Crazy.

Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
Loads on You Tube testing various locks. I have two different types but one of them is the LITELOK. Check this lock out on You Tube.

May 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Converted VW Crafter
I use Litelok Core Plus version. Various cables in some sort of outer mesh. They claim the mesh catches some of the dics cutter blades and also the cable cutter thing and similarly the different cables make it different to chew through them. They suggest some can be body worn around waist but in reality not that comfortable as they are heavy and don't flex much.

I don't think any lock will deter a determined equipped scooter but makes it unattractive that they chose an easier target.
They all can be broken in under a minute
I think I agree that if they want it, they will get it. And therefore don't rely on one lock. Think of it as time to steal e.g. "the longer it takes to steal, the better" So if each one takes a minute then buy multiple cheaper ones

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
They all can be broken in under a minute
I think I agree that if they want it, they will get it. And therefore don't rely on one lock. Think of it as time to steal e.g. "the longer it takes to steal, the better" So if each one takes a minute then buy multiple cheaper ones

That's an older or simpler version. The Core came out later and was toughened to address some of the issues in that linked test.

Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
I've seen Utrecht council workers with an angle grider shift 50+ (illegally/inappropriatley chained) bikes onto a flat-bed in 20 mins. Just seconds for each. They even have a gizmo for tensioning chains & cables prior to cutting.
If it's any consolation, I've got all the heavyweight kit but all I ever use now is Hiplock Pop. Light, easy to use, carry - and never left for more than 5 mins outside shops

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
This is my bike lock. Had it about 10 years now, used it with the scooter too, gets good reviews on amazon.

Kryptonite Unisex's Evolution Chain Lock, Black/Orange, 10mm x 55cm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006QN0MIU?tag=mhf04-21

View attachment 945368
I had one like this for my motorbike and lost the keys…….I cut through and removed it in under 2 minutes.
All bike locks are angle grinder resistant not grinder proof.

Check out this vid for an idea how easy it is for thieves

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
If you had got the Van Moof ones they come with I phone app that disables the power and is tracked, anyway I would look at one of the hidden trackers and disabling the power option plus warning stickers and as others have said lots of locks, we have the Dutch wheel locks a gold standard d lock and bar lock as well as a cable lock, you are looking at delaying tactics, the more time it takes the more attention it draws. At the end of the day they may well just cut through whatever its attached to and carry off, hence the tracker!

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
If you had got the Van Moof ones they come with I phone app that disables the power and is tracked, anyway I would look at one of the hidden trackers and disabling the power option plus warning stickers and as others have said lots of locks, we have the Dutch wheel locks a gold standard d lock and bar lock as well as a cable lock, you are looking at delaying tactics, the more time it takes the more attention it draws. At the end of the day they may well just cut through whatever its attached to and carry off, hence the tracker!

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Electric bikes? Simple,use the battery to electrify the frame when left.Same as electric fencing but stronger.
You'd have to put a sign up...

"will thieves kindly take their shoes and socks off and step on the copper grid while working on the security devices. Many thanks😊"
😆⚡

May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
I had never heard of "dutch locks" before reading this thread.
I like the idea of the simplicity of a lock that is fitted to the bike permanently and so easily deployed and did a little search on Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=dutch+...s,101&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_10&tag=mhf04-21
I couldn't see how any of those would be mounted on the bike in a true "Dutch Lock" style as I understand it. Anyone enlighten me on this?

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
I think I may have found the answer to my Dutch Lock question .... get one of these as well as typical UK bikes don't have the required mounts?
You can buy the mounts on line they are like a thick tie/zip lock, if they are cut the lock will still jam the wheel. If you go abroad the Dutch equivalent of Halfords do them, branches in most towns as geared up for bikes in Holland

May 15, 2020
York
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 709
Exp
Learning
As well as locks we have airbags concealed inside the bike, does stop them being stolen but should help them to be recovered.
N

OP
OP
Mr porky

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
I looked at them but it's for apple phones not androids.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Thats a cracking idea, just ordered one.
I've bought lots of alarmed disc locks, even a xena Bluetooth one, sadly the electronics are garbage on most of them but my latest one has been OK for over a year 🤗Screenshot_20240906_103930_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Edit : just had a thought, all the dead ones are in my garage, I could open a disc lock museum 😁

May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
You can buy the mounts on line they are like a thick tie/zip lock, if they are cut the lock will still jam the wheel.
I created my own version of the Dutch Lock well over 40 years ago.....
Riding home the 3 miles from school I managed to get the rear deraillier jammed into the spokes a couple of hundred yards leaving school.
Dragged the bike home the 3 miles - so could have been nicking it just as easily (shows the importance of locking to an immovable object as well) but by the time I got home the rear tyre had been totally worn away at the bottom as well as the inner tube and probably the wheel rim a bit knackered!
(there is a reason why I didn't try to sort the derailler out. suffice to say I didn't).

If you go abroad the Dutch equivalent of Halfords do them, branches in most towns as geared up for bikes in Holland

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back