Chain belt (4 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
Hi guys, just bought a bentley van n have found out it has a chain belt.

How often does that need servicing. I've just bought it,but had a full service n habitation on the vehicle n past everything plus mot.ALL PAID BY ME I MIGHT ADD.
THANKYOU FOR ANY RESPONSES.
It's done 80k in mileage

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I assume you mean a chain driven camshaft. Simple answer is not a lot as long as you ensure there is enough oil in the sump, and ,if fitted, it's properly tensioned. I have a Skoda car with chain rather than belt. It's done over 120,000 miles on the original with no sign of wear. Does make the engine heavier though.

Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
Agree with the above but you won't be able to check your camchain is properly tensioned. Just buy a Haynes type manual for the type of engine you have and do the regular service checks it mentions, basically fluid levels under the bonnet, top up engine oil, keep washer fluid topped up, tyres etc. it's easy to forget these things so maybe put a note on your calendar / reminder on your phone.

I have an Autosleeper but it is based on Peugeot Boxer van so I bought the Boxer van manual. You might find regular service checks in your Bentley handbook.

Personally I wouldn't buy a motorhome with a cambelt as I don't like having loads of heavy engine components driven by a rubber belt that needs periodic replacement. They should be absolutely fine though if replaced at the specified mileage. Anyway, you haven't got one and you won't need to change your camchain unless it becomes noisy.

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
I think your motorhome is based on a 2l 115 Renault traffic, with a quick google that engine is fitted with a cam chain and not a cam belt (can need changing every 5 years). The chain should be good for 100k plus but for piece of mind I would ring a Renault dealer and ask them if it is a chain or belt and when it should be replaced.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Belts are made of fabric/synthetic rubber and liable to break without any prior symptoms or warning, in most cases causing extensive and expensive engine damage.
The beauty of a steel chain is that they very very rarely break. During 50 years spent in or closely connected with the motor trade I have never had or heard of one breaking. They become noisy/rattly long before they break, alerting to the need for changing. Probably good for at least 150,000 to 200,000 miles before it might become noisy.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If you have a garage you trust just ask them to tell you when things need doing all you should need to do yourself is check oil and fluid levels top up the screen wash and check tyre pressures ( talking of which how old are the tyres!)
Enjoy the motorhome

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
I have looked into this a lot with the 3 Renault vans i have had all chain timing belt Regardsless what you read on recomendations (I can only comment on the 2.3 engine but see know reason it makes a difference) I have had one do 225,000 mile and still ran and sounded sweet. one do 100,000 in 3 yrs, another 90,000 none haveing new timing chains
a merc sprinter van that had done 275,000 as well
If a timing chain sounds ratly or rattles it needs to be changed asap
But of course you need to researce and come to your own conclusion

OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
I think your motorhome is based on a 2l 115 Renault traffic, with a quick google that engine is fitted with a cam chain and not a cam belt (can need changing every 5 years). The chain should be good for 100k plus but for piece of mind I would ring a Renault dealer and ask them if it is a chain or belt and when it should be replaced.
Thanks guys for all yr help above. Whatever, would I do without you all !
Much better than finding another husband haha

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
I have looked into this a lot with the 3 Renault vans i have had all chain timing belt Regardsless what you read on recomendations (I can only comment on the 2.3 engine but see know reason it makes a difference) I have had one do 225,000 mile and still ran and sounded sweet. one do 100,000 in 3 yrs, another 90,000 none haveing new timing chains
a merc sprinter van that had done 275,000 as well
If a timing chain sounds ratly or rattles it needs to be changed asap
But of course you need to researce and come to your own conclusion
Thanks Peter that's so reassuring to hear,as the owner wasn't sure as he had inky had it 2 years n never had it serviced, asbhe had only done a couple of thousand miles in her! I've had her thoroughly serviced ,mot n habitation done, n apart from 359£ worth of repairs to do ,noting seriously needed. She's a Bentley Cobalt,n have been told they were built to quality inside n out!

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Thanks Peter that's so reassuring to hear,as the owner wasn't sure as he had inky had it 2 years n never had it serviced, asbhe had only done a couple of thousand miles in her! I've had her thoroughly serviced ,mot n habitation done, n apart from 359£ worth of repairs to do ,noting seriously needed. She's a Bentley Cobalt,n have been told they were built to quality inside n out!
Hi I saw your first post when you were going to pick it up. What i would seriously consideras well and this is advice of 40 yrs of renault vans.

Your van being a traffic will be on its weight limit and heavy on the back end. I would look at getting fitted rar suspecion air bags they can be bought on ebay for aprox £220 will take a competent person 2 hrs to fit

It should do 3 things
1. Give a better ride
2. Take the strain off the rear leaf springs and bushes
3 lift the back end up slightly stop it saging and looking overweight

I dont know how many layers of leaf spring your van has or what condition they are

Look into this read up about it and make your own mind up

I am sure there are many on here would agree

OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
Hi I saw your first post when you were going to pick it up. What i would seriously consideras well and this is advice of 40 yrs of renault vans.

Your van being a traffic will be on its weight limit and heavy on the back end. I would look at getting fitted rar suspecion air bags they can be bought on ebay for aprox £220 will take a competent person 2 hrs to fit

It should do 3 things
1. Give a better ride
2. Take the strain off the rear leaf springs and bushes
3 lift the back end up slightly stop it saging and looking overweight

I dont know how many layers of leaf spring your van has or what condition they are

Look into this read up about it and make your own mind up

I am sure there are many on here would agree
ok, I'll pass this on to my garage who are now going to do the service for me here in bse, after having the service done in Holt. Thank you for that. The whole of the back end of my Bentley, is the bathroom, so don't store anything in there other than towels, so I don't load too much. i have no awning either, and as it is only me driving, I don't think the loading of this van is an issue. but I do appreciate your kind thoughtful information for the best drive!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back