CCP planning up to 1,000 aires (4 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
They may have paid in the past for the creation of the free aire by the local municipality BUT the Mayor has leased the site to CCP who have invested capital in upgrading the aire to CCP standards. So that's why everyone is now paying. It's win:win for the Mayor, nice annual lease payments and no maintenance costs or customer hassle/damage. Seems to me the French want the CCP electric/wifi and water services but hate paying even the measly 12 or so euros.
Absolutely true but that doesn't explain why the french don't like paying for Aires, which I was trying to explain.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
They may have paid in the past for the creation of the free aire by the local municipality BUT the Mayor has leased the site to CCP who have invested capital in upgrading the aire to CCP standards. So that's why everyone is now paying. It's win:win for the Mayor, nice annual lease payments and no maintenance costs or customer hassle/damage. Seems to me the French want the CCP electric/wifi and water services but hate paying even the measly 12 or so euros.

But a Frenchman might be like us and not want EHU nor WiFi and rarely water. In which case €12 is a lot for parking which was previously free.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Wouldn't know if we've been in one or not.
Is that a CCP at Honfluer? if so been in there.

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
CCP do not buy or own any campsites, they are basically in a Joint Venture with the landowner, whether it a local municipality or private owner. CCP supply infrastructure/admin and the original operator, in most cases, continues to provide the maintenance. Profits are split according to whatever agreement they have.

If it weren't for CCP and similar companies most Municipal Campsites in France would either close or only be open in July and August when students are available to staff them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Kups
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
CCP do not buy or own any campsites, they are basically in a Joint Venture with the landowner, whether it a local municipality or private owner. CCP supply infrastructure/admin and the original operator, in most cases, continues to provide the maintenance. Profits are split according to whatever agreement they have.

If it weren't for CCP and similar companies most Municipal Campsites in France would either close or only be open in July and August when students are available to staff them.
Agreed and of course CCP are a smaller player in France when compared to AireParkReservation who now operate 1,500 sites. They too are expanding their operation.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
But a Frenchman might be like us and not want EHU nor WiFi and rarely water. In which case €12 is a lot for parking which was previously free.
It's the EHU which seems to be the attraction for the French MHs in my experience. Not all of course but most.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We are in France at the moment. We booked a CCP at Briquebec for our first night as it had been showing as often full when we checked. Lovely little area and our card popped out when we arrived and off we parked. The toilet was out of action but hopefully repaired soon. Night 2 was at St Germain sur Ay. Another CCP. Didn’t book, just turned up in the morning. Another great area. No toilets but all other amenities, even a fuel stop and washing machines just outside. Tonight we are staying at an ordinary aire at St Pair sur Mer. We tried Granville just up the road…awful little place. Absolutely rammed and sloping. Here is larger but with toilets and is a small seaside town. €10 but no electric and terrible WiFi for those that want it. We have pre booked Mont Saint Michel for Monday and Tuesday as that was showing as full most days.
So just tomorrow night to find a spot for and Wednesday night. All in all having a lovely time just meandering. ☺️

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
For anyone using CCP Aires that advertise WiFi - the best reception is invariably near the entrance. It can be poor to non- existent away from there.

(Just in case you didn’t know).

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
What’s the policy/ Ways Of Working on these CPP sites WRT water? Unmetered water is the main attraction for us and on some occasions would be the only reason we would stop. Do you have to pay separately for water on CCP’s?

For context, we would like to fill up 300-500 litres at a time.

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
What’s the policy/ Ways Of Working on these CPP sites WRT water? Unmetered water is the main attraction for us and on some occasions would be the only reason we would stop. Do you have to pay separately for water on CCP’s?

Water and electric are not normally extra, you pay an all in price usually between €10 and €15. Often you can park for 5 hours for a reduced price which includes services and electric. I’m not aware of any limits on volume.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

The three we used in France were just ordinary taps, no limit.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
And all to save 12 euros or so. Cheapskates. Never will understand this logic. Surely they can afford to pay.
As chaser says it's a matter of principle. Originally Motorhomes were baned from campsites so the councils set up Aires for Motorhomes and they were free. A lot of the French still see it as there right to overnight for free.

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
As chaser says it's a matter of principle. Originally Motorhomes were baned from campsites so the councils set up Aires for Motorhomes and they were free. A lot of the French still see it as there right to overnight for free.
Also if you have a good leisure battery setup and don’t need services you are paying quite a bit to park. I’m thinking of improving our leisure set up and it’s certainly not cheap, especially if like me you don’t have Lenny’s knowledge. But I think it Will give us ultimate flexibility.

Aug 3, 2021
Caterham-on-the-Hill, UK
Funster No
MH
Pegaso - 740
The thing is though, this is just the start , when they have closed all the Aires and got parking restrictions everywhere do you think they will still be charging 15 euros?
Yes I do. This is France we're talking about not the UK. Personally I think CCP aires are great and very easy to make use of. We stayed on a little aire in June for one night with a couple sleeping in their car with a massive dog. Every time I walked past their car the dog came charging out. It was terrifying. It was an honesty box type arrangement and would have been perfect if it wasn't for this couple and their dog. Entering a CCP aire was sheer bliss by comparison.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The thing is though, this is just the start , when they have closed all the Aires and got parking restrictions everywhere do you think they will still be charging 15 euros?
I think they will. There are many French sites which don't charge much more than that so they would lose business.

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
Yes I do. This is France we're talking about not the UK. Personally I think CCP aires are great and very easy to make use of. We stayed on a little aire in June for one night with a couple sleeping in their car with a massive dog. Every time I walked past their car the dog came charging out. It was terrifying. It was an honesty box type arrangement and would have been perfect if it wasn't for this couple and their dog. Entering a CCP aire was sheer bliss by comparison.
Dogs not allowed on CCP sites ?

May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
They use a mild form of dynamic pricing at the moment, I would imagine the popular sites in July and August will see that stretched somewhat over coming years. They are great resource and of course no one has to use them if they don’t want to, there are still many ‘000’s of low cost and free Aires to chose from, just seems that, electricity, black and grey waste disposal and fresh drinking water, a user friendly app, all wrapped up in a convenient location where campers aren’t stepping on anyone’s toes has hit a sweet spot with users.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Get ready to shoot me down in flames but don't you think the level of vandalism in the UK is just too high for this kind to work? Not everywhere, obviously, but even in the smallest and nicest of places bored kids find things to destroy. I mean, CCP sites have no one there all the time to oversee them. Imagine what fun 'open to anyone' toilets and showers might be. And people using the electricity for free. It's not like the sites are secure; anyone can get in. Personally (remember this is my personal opinion), I don't think it would work in the UK.

OK, go, shoot me down.....
From experience I agree. I used to have to do the Court work mentioned below. Glad to be retired.

Unmanned sites in the UK would be an opportunity for the itinerants to break barriers and swarm in. Companies like CCP would have to go through a slow and costly Court process to get a possession Order against "persons unknown". Next, organise private bailiffs accompanied by Police to enforce the Order ... usually to find that the itinerants (very used to gaming the system) have just moved out before the Order comes into effect. Leaving behind large quantities of waste, and trashed facilities. It's a big expense for the landowner, as well as resulting in loss of revenue for several weeks.

Next year the same itinerants will be back. This happens a lot. Creatures of habit.

CCP cannot expect to recover any costs from these "persons unknown". Trespassing vehicles are not going to be seized. These "persons unknown" have more rights than you or me, thanks to Harriet Harman and her Equalities Act.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I like them, we used one in L’Argentiere in April. No campsites open in the valley and nowhere to fill and empty.

It’s in a bit of a crappy location between a main road and river but is 2 minutes from a supermarket. It was virtually empty in summer though.

If CCP hadn’t taken it over a few years back, it simply wouldn’t be available.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

The other competition is the Dutch-run ACSI discount scheme for low season campsite pitches. ACSI prices have gone up quite a lot probably to reflect higher commercial electricity tariffs for campsite owners but that would also apply to CCP. It comes down to whether you prefer the feel of a proper campsite with wardens or some impersonal unmanned CCP aire/former Municipal. The ACSI prices are only slightly higher, or even equal to CCP.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I think they will. There are many French sites which don't charge much more than that so they would lose business.
I am not saying this for any reason other than it will happen.
I use ccp as at the moment if you need any service they are indeed not dear and for the length of time I have left in motorhomes it isn't going to make 1 iota of difference to me but once they get the majority of stops it is going to snowball into being like the clubs here, the prices will just keep going up and you will have to pay them as everything else will have gone.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I would add that the ethos of the Municipal campsite system is quite important from a non-MH French perspective.

During school holidays the Municipals provide cheap tent camping for groups of school children as well as older students who have finished their exams. I have also seen a lot of couples, and families of tent campers, who arrive by bicycle. Even some retirees. It is part of the French enlightenment, expressed as "Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité". CCP is not for them. It would be a shame if all the Municipal campsites got taken over by CCP and other similar profit-seeking private companies.

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
I like them, we used one in L’Argentiere in April. No campsites open in the valley and nowhere to fill and empty.

It’s in a bit of a crappy location between a main road and river but is 2 minutes from a supermarket. It was virtually empty in summer though.

If CCP hadn’t taken it over a few years back, it simply wouldn’t be available.
From your description doesn't sound as though it will be available much longer .
CCP and , basically, any commercial organisation will cherry pick their sites . Not making money they'll be dropped.
Unless local council subsidises them ?

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
From your description doesn't sound as though it will be available much longer .
CCP and , basically, any commercial organisation will cherry pick their sites . Not making money they'll be dropped.
Unless local council subsidises them ?
I would suspect it is subsidised, but then I have no idea how much they cost to run. It used to be an Aire years ago. I suspect CCP took it on and upgraded it to minimum spec with hook up and services.

I suppose if the land it’s on is already paid for, all they need to find is maintenance. Though you are correct, it’s never been busy, even in peak weeks. But then some of the CCP sites never are and seem to survive fine.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I would suspect it is subsidised, but then I have no idea how much they cost to run. It used to be an Aire years ago. I suspect CCP took it on and upgraded it to minimum spec with hook up and services.

I suppose if the land it’s on is already paid for, all they need to find is maintenance. Though you are correct, it’s never been busy, even in peak weeks. But then some of the CCP sites never are and seem to survive fine.
I can't see them dropping any of them they will just average them out so they can keep others out.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Ho
I can't see them dropping any of them they will just average them out so they can keep others out.
Hope so.

It works and is cheap enough for now. I might not say that forever though. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back