Carver Cascade Water Heater Tie Rod Issue

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 1998
Hi, the tie rod in my carver cascade 2 water heater snapped at the nut end. Thankfully no issues getting the snapped part out of the nut or finding a replacement tie rod. My problem is the the water tank will not sit tight against the outer van section with the large seal as it is hitting the shoulder of the other end of the tie rod before it can. I've checked the length of the rod compared to the old one as thought maybe it is a few mil to long, but it is spot on. Also can't screw it in any more at the outer van end of the system. Really quite baffled by this so considering trimming it off but know this could go horribly wrong too if I trim off too much. Any thoughts/ideas very welcome please?

OP
OP
Pollypenny
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 1998
Understood. I used that pic with the end of the rod just poked through the case (not finally assembled) as it shows the plain reduced dia end as opposed to your externally threaded and and internally drilled and tapped end.
I can only say that I reassembled the unit exactly as it came apart, have not used any silicone and it is still working fine after 6 or 7 years.
That's good to know and you will be pleased to know that I have now completed the job. No leaks and it works perfectly on both gas and electric. I'm actually quite chuffed as the gas option used to be a pig to light and would take several attempts, but now lights first time. Not sure why as I didn't refurb that section or even remove it as did the whole job in situ. Must say it involved some gymnastics though and the use of a mirror, lol! Just glad it's all over as it was turning into one of those jobs....

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Hi, the tie rod in my carver cascade 2 water heater snapped at the nut end. Thankfully no issues getting the snapped part out of the nut or finding a replacement tie rod. My problem is the the water tank will not sit tight against the outer van section with the large seal as it is hitting the shoulder of the other end of the tie rod before it can. I've checked the length of the rod compared to the old one as thought maybe it is a few mil to long, but it is spot on. Also can't screw it in any more at the outer van end of the system. Really quite baffled by this so considering trimming it off but know this could go horribly wrong too if I trim off too much. Any thoughts/ideas very welcome please?
New o ring and if needed silicone

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back