Carthago option

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2020
Hi All
I am seeking your advice yet again. Having just returned from the show ( like hundreds of others ) we are seriously considering ordering a new van . After much searching we have decided on a Carthago Chic C line A Class. This will be our first A class and our first European van . We have always had Autotrail.
The options list for Carthago is huge and can be very costly . I am interested to get your opinions as to which options are desirable and would be essential and those which are not . For example a coffee machine and inverter is £1800. Carpet set £600 ish , silver paint £3500 ish ……full leather £3500 ish.
Advice please as to which options you would consider are key to retain good resale value.
Thank you

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A bottle of LPG has far, far more stored energy than any batteries. And it is quicker than electric, so we use the LPG for anything which requires real energy (cooking. hot drinks, heating, hot water etc)
On our first long trip with the new van I upgraded the electrics myself.
Only have an Electric kettle with us takes the same time to boil as one on gas and doesn't cost us a penny.
Been using an induction hob and air fryer for most of the cooking, far faster than using the gas hob.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Based Hymer
On our first long trip with the new van I upgraded the electrics myself.
Only have an Electric kettle with us takes the same time to boil as one on gas and doesn't cost us a penny.
Been using an induction hob and air fryer for most of the cooking, far faster than using the gas hob.
Doing the electrics myself is not an issue.
But I think the merits of battery power varies with intended use.
If we were to do long distances with wall to wall sunshine, I would almost certainly agree with you.
But, for those of us who also use the motorhome off grid in all seasons in the British Isles .....
...... I think LPG wins hands down.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
I suspect there will be enough power from the Fiat as there was from our Merc at 5000kg+.
Our 170hp E Line was fine on normal roads at over 5 tons, but it did use to drop down a couple of gears on hills, and then the engine got pretty noisy at the higher revs. Steeper motorway slopes were enough to do it. It was pretty quiet on the flat and I was very impressed, but noisy when pushing hard.
There was always enough torque/power to do what was needed so its not so much about that, but it was not a relaxing thing to drive through the Derbyshire Dales, Snowdonia, The Highlands etc.
I find a busy gearbox and high noise levels pretty wearing after a while, but that's just me and perhaps I expect too much.
I wouldn't have changed the van because of that on it's own and had started looking at adding some sound insulation and perhaps an engine blanket, but I do appreciate the Iveco's ability to slog along in a relaxed fashion, even if the adaptive cruise control allows the van to slow 5mph on a hill rather than change down, whereas the Merc was determined to keep to the set speed.
We do tend to drive every 2nd or 3rd day, and sometimes for quite long distances during which times I get more sensitive to anything irritating! if you have a toad then I guess your use will be different from us and you may well find the Fiat entirely acceptable.

Oops forgot to press reply.......

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2020
I suspect there will be enough power from the Fiat as there was from our Merc at 5000kg+.
Our 170hp E Line was fine on normal roads at over 5 tons, but it did use to drop down a couple of gears on hills, and then the engine got pretty noisy at the higher revs. Steeper motorway slopes were enough to do it. It was pretty quiet on the flat and I was very impressed, but noisy when pushing hard.
There was always enough torque/power to do what was needed so its not so much about that, but it was not a relaxing thing to drive through the Derbyshire Dales, Snowdonia, The Highlands etc.
I find a busy gearbox and high noise levels pretty wearing after a while, but that's just me and perhaps I expect too much.
I wouldn't have changed the van because of that on it's own and had started looking at adding some sound insulation and perhaps an engine blanket, but I do appreciate the Iveco's ability to slog along in a relaxed fashion, even if the adaptive cruise control allows the van to slow 5mph on a hill rather than change down, whereas the Merc was determined to keep to the set speed.
We do tend to drive every 2nd or 3rd day, and sometimes for quite long distances during which times I get more sensitive to anything irritating! if you have a toad then I guess your use will be different from us and you may well find the Fiat entirely acceptable.

Oops forgot to press reply.......
Thank you for that . Yes we mainly travel in the uk and use the van as a base . I have the fiat 160 bhp at the moment but that’s a single axle not tag . I find that adequate but on hills the gearbox can be quite indecisive. I was just a little worried the new 180bhp may struggle with the power to weight ratio as new van will be longer and a tag . I think A class tends to be a little quieter than coachbuilt. Well I am hoping !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I think A class tends to be a little quieter than coachbuilt. Well I am hoping !
The new 2.2 litre Fiat diesel is quieter and smoother than the previous 2.3 litre. The automatics also come with more gears and higher torque and should cope with hills better than the manual ones.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner-for-t
We are thinking of the 5400kg 6.2 c Line which is a tag . I believe it has the same layout as your Iveco . We thought we may go fiat due to the slightly increased train weight . Do you think the fiat will be underpowered pulling a tag and towing a small car ?
I've a Liner-for-two L with tag axle.
The 180bhp Fiat pulls it just fine. In fact I'm able use the eco mode in the auto box most of the time. This has a marked effect on mpg.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2020
The 180bhp Fiat pulls it just fine. In fact I'm able use the eco mode in the auto box most of the time. This has a marked effect on mpg.
Ah that’s very interesting. I only use the standard setting on my 2.3 , 9 speed auto and I have no complaints with MPG . I think I get about 25-26 mpg even when towing . Next time I go out I will try eco mode . I must admit until you mention it I had forgotten about the gearbox mode button ! Good to hear you have a Tag with the 180bhp and it is not under powered . The big thing will don’t know is how the new 8 speed auto will perform ? By the time my new MH arrives ( next summer ) it will be a 10th generation Ducato base with a new 8 speed auto box . I can find much out about it but just keeping fingers crossed it’s ok .

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My little CompactLine I'm only getting 25mpg tried Eco once for about 5 miles it was so lackluster on even small inclines not bothered again. Always use Power mode in hills & mountains that makes a big difference & gives better engine braking when descending.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
Our's is always in ECO - still around 18/19mpg, we cruise along at around 65 on motorways and A roads but just had the first service and the service guy said there has been a firmware update to improve MPG. Looking forward to see how much difference it makes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
My little CompactLine I'm only getting 25mpg tried Eco once for about 5 miles it was so lackluster on even small inclines not bothered again. Always use Power mode in hills & mountains that makes a big difference & gives better engine braking when descending.
Is it getting any better as you get more miles on the clock? I think the Merc did, by a small amount - haven't noticed on the Iveco but still only 7500miles

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
liner-for-two
Exp
I also have a liner-for-two L on Fiat, and I have a post here where I was complaining about the power (https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...-ducato-180-bhp-struggle-to-go-uphill.307270/)

I have since then traveled to Norway via Germany, Denmark and Sweden, and I am now touring Norway for the past two months. I can confirm all the positive comments about the engine and gearbox being smooth, BUT I can also confirm that above 8-9% incline, on a longer distance the speed starts to drop.
So far I have never experienced again what happened to me in Austria: 13% incline for a quite long straight line where I was not able to drive faster than 30 kmh. I only drove on roads where the speed dropped to a level which was anyway the comfortable level for that situation.
In conclusion, you should expect a few specific roads in the continental Europe where you may want to drive faster and you cannot, but that's just a handful. I cannot speak for the UK, as I haven't had the chance to visit it yet, but planning a tour in 2025 after the high season :)

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
Agree, ours locks anything between 15 sec & 1 min completely random.
We leave the hab door open until it locks then only the cab door locks.

Spoken to dealer he said they can't do anything about it even though it says in the manual the relocking is disabled.
I've checked the Fiat setting and it's off, spoke to Fiat professional they say its a setting that they don't have access to only Carthago do.

I'm going to fit a switch on the hab door to disconnect the solenoid, so I can unlock then flip the switch and the hab door will remain unlocked.
Auto re-lock caught my friend out who was with me one weekend at an event. She innocently opened the van, went in, left the key inside, came out almost immediately and shut the hab door. Five minutes later went to step back inside the van only to find the lock engaged. Fortunately I had the small 400mm heki in the bedroom open and we were able to borrow a ladder to access the roof. Being of very slim hips, Debs was able to shimmy down through the opening and drop onto the bed, thus being able to gain exit from inside again. Lesson learnt, spare hab door keys cut, one tucked away safely in a magnetic safe box for emergency use if ever required again. Absolutely stupid function to have on a motorhome, but we're seemingly stuck with it!

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I've averaged just under 31mpg with my 150BHP manual engine over the past four years. Perhaps yours will improve when it has a few more miles under its belt.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back