Carthago option

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2020
Hi All
I am seeking your advice yet again. Having just returned from the show ( like hundreds of others ) we are seriously considering ordering a new van . After much searching we have decided on a Carthago Chic C line A Class. This will be our first A class and our first European van . We have always had Autotrail.
The options list for Carthago is huge and can be very costly . I am interested to get your opinions as to which options are desirable and would be essential and those which are not . For example a coffee machine and inverter is £1800. Carpet set £600 ish , silver paint £3500 ish ……full leather £3500 ish.
Advice please as to which options you would consider are key to retain good resale value.
Thank you

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I wouldn't bother with the coffee machine & inverter, they fit a crap Waco inverter & you can make much better coffee in a Moka pot. Also I don't think you can have that option without a second gel battery and no way are 2 x 80ah gel batteries cabable of running that size inverter.

Silver & leather not bad options if you like them.

I wouldn't have the oven option they fit them in a centre kitchen draw position without an outside vent, not impressed by that, that's why we didn't have one.

There Lithium option is quite a good price but it's only 150ah but it is a Super B battery which are horrendously expensive. You can but good quality lithium batteries for a ¼ to a ⅓ of the price.

If you are not planning on having full 4c air fitted it's worth having the uprated front springs as they fit VB.

For an inverter and electric upgrades you are better off contacting RogerIvy or nigelivy at Off Grid Power Solutions.

Upvote 0

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Our carpets are in the loft and will only come down when we sell the van. We use the striped office type strips - they are hard wearing, easy to vacuum and clean and don’t move.

Pack your own coffee machine if you really think it’s necessary.

There’s a wealth of advice on here about batteries and inverters. Cliff fitted his own as many on here have, so no need to buy what they’re offering.

I wish our van had leather upholstery, but only because our ‘suedette’ is cream - a totally ridiculous colour.

Perhaps that’s the good thing about buying ‘used’ - the choice is taken away!

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Wouldn't have central locking on a Carthago as ours on our Malibu drives me mad, locks all the doors one minute after you've opened it, have to make sure you have the keys on you at all times. Fiat problem not Carthago I suppose.
Agree, ours locks anything between 15 sec & 1 min completely random.
We leave the hab door open until it locks then only the cab door locks.

Spoken to dealer he said they can't do anything about it even though it says in the manual the relocking is disabled.
I've checked the Fiat setting and it's off, spoke to Fiat professional they say its a setting that they don't have access to only Carthago do.

I'm going to fit a switch on the hab door to disconnect the solenoid, so I can unlock then flip the switch and the hab door will remain unlocked.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
We love island beds 👍
Usually sacrifice a decent lounge to have one though unless going to 9 metre plus in length.

The focus for many seem to be the bedroom which most of the time your asleep. I prefer a decent comfortable lounge

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
I've never bought a new van but i think if I did I wouldn't have any of the electric upgrades from the dealer or factory you can always fit better cheaper yourself.

I wouldn't bother with the fitted carpets either as removable hard wearing matts are much easier to keep clean and to replace. .

Coffee machine and inverter ....nope definitely not.

Leather , yes if its a sensible colour and decent quality . Not vegan leather ( plastic ) or white/cream/biege in colour

Silver paintwork is always a bit nicer than boring white I think but would depend on the cost ....and whether the plastics matched the rest of the body as I notice a lot of older vans that are silver or gold have multiple shades after a few years old. Burstner is really bad for it.

That said if you ever sell it the second or third owner may appreciate the extras they get free .

I do appreciate the many boxes the first owner ticked on my van when they ordered it.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back