Carthago option

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2020
Hi All
I am seeking your advice yet again. Having just returned from the show ( like hundreds of others ) we are seriously considering ordering a new van . After much searching we have decided on a Carthago Chic C line A Class. This will be our first A class and our first European van . We have always had Autotrail.
The options list for Carthago is huge and can be very costly . I am interested to get your opinions as to which options are desirable and would be essential and those which are not . For example a coffee machine and inverter is £1800. Carpet set £600 ish , silver paint £3500 ish ……full leather £3500 ish.
Advice please as to which options you would consider are key to retain good resale value.
Thank you

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2019
We're considering joining the Carthago owners club.
Our only question is: Mercedes Benz or Fiat ?

Having recently had a glitch with our Fiat based Bürstner, I'm more inclined towards the Merc but is it more reliable?

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Fantastic response . Thank you .Yes the main reason for starting this thread is one of weight . We want to add only the essential options to keep the weight and cost down and get maximum payload and train weight 👍
The C Lines can be a bit heavy when you’ve added your extras, I’ve had to uprate to 5 tons to carry our scooter and other bits and when we’re really full if the water tanks are full I’m still 100kg over on rear axle but 250kg under overall
Last time I weighed it it wasn’t completely empty and it was something like 4230kg👍 but I do carry a lot 😉👍👍

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp

Having recently had a glitch with our Fiat based Bürstner, I'm more inclined towards the Merc but is it more reliable?
Mercedes all day long👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2020

We are going Fiat . The only reason for this is we get more payload and an extra 120 kg on the train weight. I must admit we have had two Fiat MH so far and had no problems. What glitch did you have with your fiat if you don’t mind me asking ?

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016

Mercedes sit front down more and we were advised if we do have levellers fitted you would nearly always have to use manual.mode rather than auto. Also Merc very narrow track so body sticks out more from wheels. Reliability probably about the same, you hear more issues with Fiat cos probably 90% MH built on them.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
Fantastic response . Thank you .Yes the main reason for starting this thread is one of weight . We want to add only the essential options to keep the weight and cost down and get maximum payload and train weight 👍
If we were starting again I would be sure to get the things that are difficult to change from Carthago (Layout/Fabrics/Corian Kitchen surface/Socket pack/Vehicle Driver aids and chassis/engine options etc Posh hab door), but only have the minimum spec for other options (battery and charging system inc Solar, rear TV etc) because they can be done aftermarket often with better value for money, and usually as good or better than factory fit, plus using the van for a while helps decide on your priorities. We never really considered the resale value of the van since it has to suit us - and I don't think we're unique so someone else will like it........

Our current van was in stock at the dealer, so wasn't exactly our choice but close enough.

What I miss from it's predecessor (E Line 51QB 5.5ton) is:
The option to delete the front drop down bed which suited us and gave a great feeling of space, and less bumping heads - but we never take guests.....
Proper oven vs the tec tower thing, because it's dangerously high, even if the proper oven isn't great and takes away the storage - now difficult to change
Outside gas point - We don't BBQ much, many do and the option would be good - Not difficult to add, so will get it done at some point.
Extra electrical sockets pack - cant ever seem to have enough. Doable aftermarket of course, but perhaps neater from factory
We had a rubber "checkerplate" floor fitted in the garage, the standard floor was like sandpaper. I preferred the non slip rubber to the Carthago aluminium stuff we have in the current van. Easily done aftermarket, possibly heavier and doesnt look as neat?
Mercedes ride/suspension was softer and generally better than the Iveco straight out of the box - Now we have aftermarket dampers from Marquart and the torsion bars and tyre pressures correctly set for our weight the difference is not so great, still a little crashy on potholes/poor surfaces though. The engine/gearbox combination is very relaxed compared to the Merc. On the Merc stuff like auto wipers/adaptive cruise control etc all worked a little better I think. If you have the choice between Merc/Fiat etc it's worth having a test drive, they definitely cant be changed!

What we got on the S Plus (6.7ton) that I wouldn't order again:
Air Con in the hab area. Have used it but only when it was hot and the beds had to be made!
Tec tower oven - As above.
Tecma "marine" toilet/holding tank (only because the UK is geared up for cassettes, and you can always carry more than one) In use it's great but does use more flush water.
Leather - most folk seem to prefer it but I would want Alcantara (Easy to clean and less slippy) - not sure if the Carthago substitute is as good though having never had it.
Carthago carpets - although hard wearing they felt low budget and were very dark, now replaced by our local marine carpet guy at similar cost to the factory stuff but better value in my view

What we do like
Air suspension - from Iveco/VB ours was factory fitted, but would be just as good aftermarket.
Leveling - VB system fitted by SAP - Not sure if the Alko system Carthago fit gives weights, if it does I would be tempted.
240v electric awning - Possibly because the S Plus is quite high, but the E Line one was a faf as the crank handle kept slipping.
Alde heating - the heat exchanger keeps the van toasty for when we arrive and the underfloor heating and heated towel rail in the back of the van keep everything dry (Dog also likes it) - prefer the heat it gives to warm air, although it takes longer to warm the van. Has to be factory fitted.
Gaslow system - Actually would consider underslung as well, easily done aftermarket. Old gas locker might be handy for other stuff.
Aftermarket Lithium battery/Solar/Inverter/charger - Carthago options are now much closer to our needs with decent capacity and Mastervolt (Which I like - high quality kit) but still not great value so would still go aftermarket I think - Ours is all Victron which I chose for quality, good intergration and conectivity vs Mastervolt. Overall we added weight but have 550w solar - 460AH battery - 3000w Inverter with 120Amp charging - 50amp B2B, would have put in more battery but it was pandemic time so got what I could get quickly.
Dog shower in the garage! - Not easily done aftermarket
Tyre pressure monitoring - part of one of the Iveco related packs (actualy the Tyrepal system we fitted to the Merc was just as good)

So I suspect just as many folk would dislike what we have or our opinions as would like or agree, so shouldn't affect resale.... My main concern was that the new van didn't miss out on stuff that can't be easily altered or added to suit us, and I guess the only real mistake is the Tec tower oven thing (which gets mentioned every trip)!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2020
If we were starting again I would be sure to get the things that are difficult to change from Carthago (Layout/Fabrics/Corian Kitchen surface/Socket pack/Vehicle Driver aids and chassis/engine options etc Posh hab door), but only have the minimum spec for other options (battery and charging system inc Solar, rear TV etc) because they can be done aftermarket often with better value for money, and usually as good or better than factory fit, plus using the van for a while helps decide on your priorities. We never really considered the resale value of the van since it has to suit us - and I don't think we're unique so someone else will like it........

Our current van was in stock at the dealer, so wasn't exactly our choice but close enough.

What I miss from it's predecessor (E Line 51QB 5.5ton) is:
The option to delete the front drop down bed which suited us and gave a great feeling of space, and less bumping heads - but we never take guests.....
Proper oven vs the tec tower thing, because it's dangerously high, even if the proper oven isn't great and takes away the storage - now difficult to change
Outside gas point - We don't BBQ much, many do and the option would be good - Not difficult to add, so will get it done at some point.
Extra electrical sockets pack - cant ever seem to have enough. Doable aftermarket of course, but perhaps neater from factory
We had a rubber "checkerplate" floor fitted in the garage, the standard floor was like sandpaper. I preferred the non slip rubber to the Carthago aluminium stuff we have in the current van. Easily done aftermarket, possibly heavier and doesnt look as neat?
Mercedes ride/suspension was softer and generally better than the Iveco straight out of the box - Now we have aftermarket dampers from Marquart and the torsion bars and tyre pressures correctly set for our weight the difference is not so great, still a little crashy on potholes/poor surfaces though. The engine/gearbox combination is very relaxed compared to the Merc. On the Merc stuff like auto wipers/adaptive cruise control etc all worked a little better I think. If you have the choice between Merc/Fiat etc it's worth having a test drive, they definitely cant be changed!

What we got on the S Plus (6.7ton) that I wouldn't order again:
Air Con in the hab area. Have used it but only when it was hot and the beds had to be made!
Tec tower oven - As above.
Tecma "marine" toilet/holding tank (only because the UK is geared up for cassettes, and you can always carry more than one) In use it's great but does use more flush water.
Leather - most folk seem to prefer it but I would want Alcantara (Easy to clean and less slippy) - not sure if the Carthago substitute is as good though having never had it.
Carthago carpets - although hard wearing they felt low budget and were very dark, now replaced by our local marine carpet guy at similar cost to the factory stuff but better value in my view

What we do like
Air suspension - from Iveco/VB ours was factory fitted, but would be just as good aftermarket.
Leveling - VB system fitted by SAP - Not sure if the Alko system Carthago fit gives weights, if it does I would be tempted.
240v electric awning - Possibly because the S Plus is quite high, but the E Line one was a faf as the crank handle kept slipping.
Alde heating - the heat exchanger keeps the van toasty for when we arrive and the underfloor heating and heated towel rail in the back of the van keep everything dry (Dog also likes it) - prefer the heat it gives to warm air, although it takes longer to warm the van. Has to be factory fitted.
Gaslow system - Actually would consider underslung as well, easily done aftermarket. Old gas locker might be handy for other stuff.
Aftermarket Lithium battery/Solar/Inverter/charger - Carthago options are now much closer to our needs with decent capacity and Mastervolt (Which I like - high quality kit) but still not great value so would still go aftermarket I think - Ours is all Victron which I chose for quality, good intergration and conectivity vs Mastervolt. Overall we added weight but have 550w solar - 460AH battery - 3000w Inverter with 120Amp charging - 50amp B2B, would have put in more battery but it was pandemic time so got what I could get quickly.
Dog shower in the garage! - Not easily done aftermarket
Tyre pressure monitoring - part of one of the Iveco related packs (actualy the Tyrepal system we fitted to the Merc was just as good)

So I suspect just as many folk would dislike what we have or our opinions as would like or agree, so shouldn't affect resale.... My main concern was that the new van didn't miss out on stuff that can't be easily altered or added to suit us, and I guess the only real mistake is the Tec tower oven thing (which gets mentioned every trip)!
Thank you Adrian for a very informative reply . A lot of very useful advice 👍

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner-for-t
May I ask what’s on the list of issues
The list is ,
The hab door RFID tag locking system has failed,the sink drain leaks,the inverter isn't working,the garage door struts need replaced, the sat dish isn't working,the WiFi router needs repaired.Some of the awning leds have stopped working.
Since I've had it the Thule awning needed replacement, the Alde boiler was replaced,the hab door auto opening strut fell off,the Truma air con needed replacement, Some of the furniture board had to be replaced due to water ingress.
The van broke down in France and was towed to the dealers . Most of the faults were Carthago's ,some were due to others.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner-for-t
Mercedes all day long👍
I've had dealings with both Fiat and Mercedes and found one no better than the other. Mercedes seem to have the perception that it's a high quality piece of kit, it's not. Fiat have the perception that it's cheap and nasty,its not. The Fiat fitted 9 speed auto box is world class. The engine tends to be tough as old boots. How many Mercedes Sprinters do you see around compared Fiat Dailys and Ducatos?

Upvote 0

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Changing to lithium is well worth doing. But, apart from a factory fitted solar panel, that is all you need to do.

Take out the very heavy AGM battery and put in the same weight of lithum. At least three times more usable power and no loss of payload.

So you triple the size of battery capacity and hope it charges ok from the factory fitted 120W ish solar panel, can you explain how it will do that

The rest of all that blue equipment is total OTT.

In your opinion it may be but in mine it’s a game changer, since fitting a more solar with Victron Smart MPPT controllers, Victron Orion 50ah B/B and a Victron Multiplus II it’s been an absolute no brainer for us

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2020
The list is ,
The hab door RFID tag locking system has failed,the sink drain leaks,the inverter isn't working,the garage door struts need replaced, the sat dish isn't working,the WiFi router needs repaired.Some of the awning leds have stopped working.
Since I've had it the Thule awning needed replacement, the Alde boiler was replaced,the hab door auto opening strut fell off,the Truma air con needed replacement, Some of the furniture board had to be replaced due to water ingress.
The van broke down in France and was towed to the dealers . Most of the faults were Carthago's ,some were due to others.
Omg Alex . That’s a pretty long list . So the big question …..would you buy Carthago again ?

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
The list is ,
😱😱😱

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner-for-t
Omg Alex . That’s a pretty long list . So the big question …..would you buy Carthago again ?
Not sure if I've been very unlucky. However most people I've spoken to have been very disappointed by Cathago Germany's respone to problems. It's awful. They definitely seem to have issues that you'd not expect at that price point.

Upvote 0

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Hi Al
What electrical upgrade did you have . What functions does it give you Al ?

630w solar on the roof controlled with 2 separate Victron controllers
50A Victron Orion B2B, i’ve 90A B2B in total
Victron Lynx distribution unit
Victron Display panel
Victron Multiplus II, 120A charger 3KW inverter
Victron Shunt

IMG_1112-compressed.jpeg

IMG_0596.jpeg

IMG_0606.jpeg

IMG_1115-compressed.jpeg

The motorhome thinks it’s on permanent hookup so we can and do use everything like it is, albeit sensibly.

Kettle, Airfryer, Induction hob, Aircon, Alde, Fridge, outside 240 supply, you name it, if we’ve got it we use it 👍

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
I've had dealings with both Fiat and Mercedes and found one no better than the other. Mercedes seem to have the perception that it's a high quality piece of kit, it's not. Fiat have the perception that it's cheap and nasty,its not. The Fiat fitted 9 speed auto box is world class. The engine tends to be tough as old boots. How many Mercedes Sprinters do you see around compared Fiat Dailys and Ducatos?
I have an old 2016 3.0L with comfortmatic, just coming up 52k now, no issues other than new airbag module, everything just works on it, but I do think the Mercedes driving experience is better than the fiat offerings, but perhaps more expensive when it goes wrong👍
If I was chucking 200k around I’d be looking at the Iveco chassis😉👍👍
Hope you get your problems sorted soon👍

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2020
630w solar on the roof controlled with 2 separate Victron controllers
50A Victron Orion B2B, i’ve 90A B2B in total
Victron Lynx distribution unit
Victron Display panel
Victron Multiplus II, 120A charger 3KW inverter

View attachment 967933

View attachment 967934

View attachment 967935

View attachment 967936

The motorhome thinks it’s on permanent hookup so we can and do use everything like it is, albeit sensibly.

Kettle, Airfryer, Induction hob, Aircon, Alde, Fridge, outside 240 supply, you name it, if we’ve got it we use it 👍
Wow . Al that is a very impressive set up .

Upvote 0

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Wow . Al that is a very impressive set up .

We’ve been back in the UK 2 weeks and haven’t hooked up since we left Germany which is close to 3 1/2 weeks ago.

It really depends how you use and want to use your motorhome, you said the other day that you use sights a lot so if ehu is included you won’t need what i’ve got. If you want to be independent of a cable for i’d say 90% of the time then do it right and do it once 👍

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
We have a c-tourer 149LE 2018 build... came with a coffee machine and that was the first thing to go. Fitted in a top cupboard that was a pain to get to.
Factory inverter fit is Dometic and lots of them fail and as they link the van sockets it needs cables patching if it does fail or no mains even on ehu.
Tec tower oven is high, (need to be 6ft to see in it without steps). Currently in the process of fitting new fridge freezer and an oven under the hob after short wife complaining about it every trip for 5 years... she was correct.
We have the soft cream fabric trim which seems to wear well but has always been used with covers, some of the fake leather wears very quickly.
We have carpets and use them on winter trips, they are OK but will get replacements made locally when they wear out.
26000+ miles and the Fiat side of it has been pretty good, the odd blip but nothing major. The new Mercedes stuff is having issues with battery drain from all the gizmos fitted so some owners are reporting and Merc service costs are a lot more than Fiat..
Fitted solar, Victron b2b, shunt, MPPT and a lithium battery, oem options for this are silly money so another vote for offgrid if you can't do it yourself.
The c-tourer has less bling so more payload but it was about 100kg over what they claimed and we had to get it up-plated for the motorbike in the garage or we blew the rear axle weight. The bonus to that is we can carry everything we want for a winter trip and travel with a full water tank etc and still be under max weight on all axles / gross.
Build quality is mixed, odd rattles when driving at times but generally a very serene and quiet drive. Silly stuff breaks on all of them, bathroom door hinges, stickers covering screws peel, door locks jam, steps break and Carthago parts supply is shocking... measure it in months if not years... not joking. The whole aftersales is piss poor tbh.
Carthargo make the trim for the oven under the hob now but refuses to supply me as our van wasn't made with the under hob oven, same as the oem drawer under the fridge if no oven. No chance of getting it regardless of the cost...
If I ordered a new one it would likely be a c- line on a Fiat as a good balance between bling and weight but would still need to be up- plated. Would spec the better hab door, double glazed side window and maybe Alde.... but that does take longer to warm the van but handy to have on when driving fed off engine heat.
However I won't be ordering a new one as IMHO the quality on the new stuff (all brands) has fallen through the floor post pandemic years.
Be aware e-line and L42 are lovely vans but payload is real tight... even if taken to 5000kg, you won't be carrying 150L of water in one of those and still be legal.... oh and finally most of the dealers are sharp... to the point of fibbing .... buyer beware and good luck.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

In my many years of running Mercedes Vans, Vito's and Sprinters, NO.

I ran Small fleets and still have A Mercedes Sprinter Van. 3 of our Motorhomes were Mercedes and they are shocking for reliability .

After sales usually involve big Van and Truck Dealers and their customer service is disgraceful. The only company I have had any great dealings with is The one down in Newport & Bridgend. Though I think they have moved and been taken over now.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Not sure if I've been very unlucky. However most people I've spoken to have been very disappointed by Cathago Germany's respone to problems. It's awful. They definitely seem to have issues that you'd not expect at that price point.
Quite the opposite of my experience but they do expect everything to be done through one of their UK dealers or an authorised agent. I landed up with a Fiat repair bill for something that was their responsibility but the cost was very quickly covered by Carthago and credited to my bank account by the dealer. Similarly with my Malibu, one of the bathroom fittings had a small kink in it, I didn’t even notice it at first. The replacement part turned up with no fuss in plenty of time for when I had booked it in for a battery fitting. Some of the problems you have experienced are with bits of kit I didn’t think Carthago fitted as factory options but obviously I must be wrong.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Based Hymer
In your opinion it may be but in mine it’s a game changer, since fitting a more solar with Victron Smart MPPT controllers, Victron Orion 50ah B/B and a Victron Multiplus II it’s been an absolute no brainer for us
This thread is about a 3,500Kg (Maybe 4200Kg) Carthago which has neither the room nor the payload capacity for the warehouse full of equipment which you like to show in your house on wheels.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner-for-t
I have an old 2016 3.0L with comfortmatic, just coming up 52k now, no issues other than new airbag module, everything just works on it, but I do think the Mercedes driving experience is better than the fiat offerings, but perhaps more expensive when it goes wrong👍
If I was chucking 200k around I’d be looking at the Iveco chassis😉👍👍
Hope you get your problems sorted soon👍

Quite the opposite of my experience but they do expect everything to be done through one of their UK dealers or an authorised agent. I landed up with a Fiat repair bill for something that was their responsibility but the cost was very quickly covered by Carthago and credited to my bank account by the dealer. Similarly with my Malibu, one of the bathroom fittings had a small kink in it, I didn’t even notice it at first. The replacement part turned up with no fuss in plenty of time for when I had booked it in for a battery fitting. Some of the problems you have experienced are with bits of kit I didn’t think Carthago fitted as factory options but obviously I must be wrong.
The majority of the issues were original factory options.
I got so frustrated waiting for a resolution that I resorted to emailing the ceo in Germany twice. He didn't reply.
My impression was they couldn't care less.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 DL (2017)
Exp
Well travelled
WE put Flotex carpet in our previous Hymer B544, had it made up in 3 sections so easy to lift to access under floor lockers. Whe dirty, just remove and pressure wash hang on the fence then replace. Just about the hardest wearing commercial carpet you can buy.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
Wouldn't have central locking on a Carthago as ours on our Malibu drives me mad, locks all the doors one minute after you've opened it, have to make sure you have the keys on you at all times. Fiat problem not Carthago I suppose.

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Wouldn't have central locking on a Carthago as ours on our Malibu drives me mad, locks all the doors one minute after you've opened it, have to make sure you have the keys on you at all times. Fiat problem not Carthago I suppose.
Mine has never done that, I love the central locking, wouldn’t be without it👍

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2019
We are going Fiat . The only reason for this is we get more payload and an extra 120 kg on the train weight. I must admit we have had two Fiat MH so far and had no problems. What glitch did you have with your fiat if you don’t mind me asking ?
The engine management light came on whilst we were in Salamanca. Took it to the Fiat professional dealer, who ran diagnostics & declared it was problem in the Turbo system, with the Turbo pressure sensor being the most likely culprit. As it was Friday afternoon, we had to wait until the Monday for them to get the part. Once they'd replaced it, we drove off, only for the engine management light to come back on within 5 miles. Hoping it was just a temporary glitch, I decided to press on but the van went into limp mode 30 miles up the road.
Switching off, then on, seemed to restore power but the eml was still on.
We lost power twice more on the way back to the garage but made it there without further incident.
Unfortunately they couldn't look at it for another 8 days, they had a truck on the lift which was undergoing a full engine strip down & rebuild, so we had to hang around in Salamanca.
When they did get to look, they decided it had to be the turbo - even though it was an intermittent problem & it had been pulling to 70mph with little effort. They ordered a turbo, which would take 3 days to arrive, then they wanted another 3 days to fit it.
I took the van back, the next day, and pointed out that the eml had gone out but they were still insistent that it would come back on, as the turbo was failing.

I sorted a hire car & we went to stay with friends, waiting for them to tell me it was fixed. Instead, they contacted me to say the couldn't do the job after all. Apparently my RHD Ducato is different from a LHD one & they couldn't lift it on their hoist.

My €1500 was duly refunded & we set off back home. Four days & 1500 trouble free miles later, I'm happy that they didn't change the turbo & I've saved around €4k.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2020
The engine management light came on whilst we were in Salamanca. Took it to the Fiat professional dealer, who ran diagnostics & declared it was problem in the Turbo system, with the Turbo pressure sensor being the most likely culprit. As it was Friday afternoon, we had to wait until the Monday for them to get the part. Once they'd replaced it, we drove off, only for the engine management light to come back on within 5 miles. Hoping it was just a temporary glitch, I decided to press on but the van went into limp mode 30 miles up the road.
Switching off, then on, seemed to restore power but the eml was still on.
We lost power twice more on the way back to the garage but made it there without further incident.
Unfortunately they couldn't look at it for another 8 days, they had a truck on the lift which was undergoing a full engine strip down & rebuild, so we had to hang around in Salamanca.
When they did get to look, they decided it had to be the turbo - even though it was an intermittent problem & it had been pulling to 70mph with little effort. They ordered a turbo, which would take 3 days to arrive, then they wanted another 3 days to fit it.
I took the van back, the next day, and pointed out that the eml had gone out but they were still insistent that it would come back on, as the turbo was failing.

I sorted a hire car & we went to stay with friends, waiting for them to tell me it was fixed. Instead, they contacted me to say the couldn't do the job after all. Apparently my RHD Ducato is different from a LHD one & they couldn't lift it on their hoist.

My €1500 was duly refunded & we set off back home. Four days & 1500 trouble free miles later, I'm happy that they didn't change the turbo & I've saved around €4k.
Sounds a nightmare buddy .

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2019
Sounds a nightmare buddy .
Curtailed our 10 week trip after only 4 weeks.
SWMBO thoroughly hacked off & wanting to give up on motor homing :frowny:
Before we went away, we'd been discussing getting a van with an island bed. After a good run home & she's starting to come round to that idea again :happy:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2020
Curtailed our 10 week trip after only 4 weeks.
SWMBO thoroughly hacked off & wanting to give up on motor homing :frowny:
Before we went away, we'd been discussing getting a van with an island bed. After a good run home & she's starting to come round to that idea again :happy:
We love island beds 👍

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back