Carthago option

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2020
Hi All
I am seeking your advice yet again. Having just returned from the show ( like hundreds of others ) we are seriously considering ordering a new van . After much searching we have decided on a Carthago Chic C line A Class. This will be our first A class and our first European van . We have always had Autotrail.
The options list for Carthago is huge and can be very costly . I am interested to get your opinions as to which options are desirable and would be essential and those which are not . For example a coffee machine and inverter is £1800. Carpet set £600 ish , silver paint £3500 ish ……full leather £3500 ish.
Advice please as to which options you would consider are key to retain good resale value.
Thank you

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I have a white Carthago that’s been paintsealed from new and looks good 8 yrs on, for years I always wished I had a silver one (it probably is a better finish to be fair) but now I think I prefer the off white, I’ve seen 100’s of silver E Lines and then I saw a white one and it looked different and stood out more!
As for the electrics don’t bother, get a victron/lithium set up from off grid power solutions, we have it and it’s a game changer👍
IMG_6662.jpeg

Good luck with your future purchase

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H592
Exp
Since 2018
No expert on Carthago’s but surely the options you choose are the ones you find essential and desirable for your usage of the van and not what gives it a good resale value in the future

A coffee machine might be good for resale value but no use to you if you don’t drink coffee!!

Just my take on it🙂

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 745
Exp
since 2012
Leather is like marmite. I had it on my Bessacar and loved it. Didn’t do leather on my boat and regretted it.
I would defo go for leather.

Electrics, yes, use Off Grid. Way best option. And choose your own coffee machine!

Tony

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2020
No expert on Carthago’s but surely the options you choose are the ones you find essential and desirable for your usage of the van and not what gives it a good resale value in the future

A coffee machine might be good for resale value but no use to you if you don’t drink coffee!!

Just my take on it🙂
Hi Bonsaiman

Yes totally get your point .
Thank you 👍

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I would avoid carpets. On my Compactline they would just have got in the way of opening the floor lockers. Also the heating ran in the double floor so it was not cold. Silver paint leather upholstery and coffee machines are personal choice items, they might not be top of my list but if they are important to you then better to get than regret.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Hi Just us on Tour, congrats on ordering your new Carthago A Class Chic C Line, you wont regret it, well built solid vans.
As for the options you mentioned, I would not chose the coffee machine & Inverter @£1800, simply because we do not use coffee pod machines (we have two already at home stashed away) plus I believe the inverter is not only small, but only supplies one socket to power the coffee machine.
I would be looking at upgrading the leisure batts to lithium, charged by a Victron Multi Plus & Solar Panels, it would also give the option of charging at much higher faster rates of 70/120 amps, and give me up to 3kwh for any 240v items in the van should I wish to use them such as air fryers or Remoska oven, hairdryers maybe.
As for the carpets at @£600 we still have ours wrapped up unused from new, as we use a pair of carpet runners that we bought at a show, easy to remove and clean as needed.
I would always chose half leather seats if available they are much more practical IMHO.
Silver exterior would be nice, shame it costs so much, when other manufacturers like Adria offer it as standard on some models.
Have fun.
LES

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi All
I am seeking your advice yet again. Having just returned from the show ( like hundreds of others ) we are seriously considering ordering a new van . After much searching we have decided on a Carthago Chic C line A Class. This will be our first A class and our first European van . We have always had Autotrail.
The options list for Carthago is huge and can be very costly . I am interested to get your opinions as to which options are desirable and would be essential and those which are not . For example a coffee machine and inverter is £1800. Carpet set £600 ish , silver paint £3500 ish ……full leather £3500 ish.
Advice please as to which options you would consider are key to retain good resale value.
Thank you
Only get what you need - Nothing you mentioned will make any difference to your resale value. Only difference will be to make it more desirable for the dealer. If you go down the private sale route then people will buy yours van before a basic but won’t pay more.
Get what extras you want fitted aftermarket it will be a lot cheaper

Upvote 0

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Steve

100% if you want to make any changes to the electrical system on any motorhome you choose then i’d have no hesitation in recommending nigelivy and RogerIvy at Offgrid Power Solutions.

These guys really do know what they’re doing and I wouldn’t go anywhere else 👍👍

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2020
Hi Just us on Tour, congrats on ordering your new Carthago A Class Chic C Line, you wont regret it, well built solid vans.
As for the options you mentioned, I would not chose the coffee machine & Inverter @£1800, simply because we do not use coffee pod machines (we have two already at home stashed away) plus I believe the inverter is not only small, but only supplies one socket to power the coffee machine.
I would be looking at upgrading the leisure batts to lithium, charged by a Victron Multi Plus & Solar Panels, it would also give the option of charging at much higher faster rates of 70/120 amps, and give me up to 3kwh for any 240v items in the van should I wish to use them such as air fryers or Remoska oven, hairdryers maybe.
As for the carpets at @£600 we still have ours wrapped up unused from new, as we use a pair of carpet runners that we bought at a show, easy to remove and clean as needed.
I would always chose half leather seats if available they are much more practical IMHO.
Silver exterior would be nice, shame it costs so much, when other manufacturers like Adria offer it as standard on some models.
Have fun.
LES
Thanks Les
That’s really useful advice 👍
Regards
Steve

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2020
Steve

100% if you want to make any changes to the electrical system on any motorhome you choose then i’d have no hesitation in recommending nigelivy and RogerIvy at Offgrid Power Solutions.

These guys really do know what they’re doing and I wouldn’t go anywhere else 👍👍
Hi Al
Yes a few people are saying the same . The Carthago electrical system seems very basic against my Autotrail . I am told it won’t even charge the vehicle battery unless I have a battery master fitted ? What electrical upgrade did you have . What functions does it give you Al ?

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Based Hymer
As for the electrics don’t bother, get a lithium set up ....
Changing to lithium is well worth doing. But, apart from a factory fitted solar panel, that is all you need to do.

Take out the very heavy AGM battery and put in the same weight of lithum. At least three times more usable power and no loss of payload.

It is a DIY change, as all of the chargers on a new Carthago will have lithium (or GEL) settings.

The rest of all that blue equipment is total OTT.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
I would avoid carpets. On my Compactline they would just have got in the way of opening the floor lockers. Also the heating ran in the double floor so it was not cold. Silver paint leather upholstery and coffee machines are personal choice items, they might not be top of my list but if they are important to you then better to get than regret.
They're also very dark - we had some made up for the van and the Carthago jobbies are in the loft!

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
I have a white Carthago that’s been paintsealed from new and looks good 8 yrs on, for years I always wished I had a silver one (it probably is a better finish to be fair) but now I think I prefer the off white, I’ve seen 100’s of silver E Lines and then I saw a white one and it looked different and stood out more!
As for the electrics don’t bother, get a victron/lithium set up from off grid power solutions, we have it and it’s a game changer👍
View attachment 967667
Good luck with your future purchase
Totaly agree, much better value (our instalation is almost a carbon copy of yours - I would add the extra sockets pack if ordering from new though

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp

Just my take on it🙂
Yes - ours turned up without the machine fitted (S Plus 61XL), but with the slide down drawer and fittings all in place - so we bought the same machine (£99) and plugged it in. We were fitting our own charger/inverter etc.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
Hi Al
Yes a few people are saying the same . The Carthago electrical system seems very basic against my Autotrail . I am told it won’t even charge the vehicle battery unless I have a battery master fitted ? What electrical upgrade did you have . What functions does it give you Al ?
Yes odd that - Cab battery charging happens only with the main panel switched on, and a charge source, solar or ehu, working, so as the van is in storage when not in use, we put in a BM type device.
Have fun.
LES
On our old e Line the Carthago inverter did supply all the sockets as well as the coffee machine, but I am happy that on the S Plus we put our own in (Victron Multiplus) as part of replacing the standard GEL batteries with Lithium and adding 550w solar just as you recommend. We also put in a Victron XS 50amp B2B - Carthago seem to offer a larger option now (70amp?) as well as the standard 25. I Think I would have that if not going with a Victron setup.....

Upvote 0

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Hi Al

I’ll answer you later Steve as just sat down for a sunday lunch but it’s a lot

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
My understanding is that, like Hymer, Carthago now fit the Schaudt WA 121545 B2B as standard.

As well as lithium, it has a 70amp option via easy settings, but is 45amp as standard
That makes more sense, always thought 25amp a bit miserly!

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer149
We’ve got carpets and they’re great in the autumn/ winter, then we leave them at home.

I’d make a spreadsheet and pay close attention to weight for what you add, remembering to assume full of water and fuel, two passengers (2 x75kg). I say this as we cancelled an order for an E-class as it had 1kg (!) payload with extras, fuelled etc but nothing else on board - dealer suggested we pay £20k extra for a tag axle. Errr, no. We bought a year old C-tourer an-class instead and love it. Weights are on the options price list.

Things I’d not want to be without:
  • awning
  • self levelling system (we added it, £6k, and removed the wind downs)
  • solar - we have 4x160w on the roof which I did myself (to be fair, the previous owner had a simple one panel system which I reutilised)
  • velo bike slideout
  • leather - we have a sort of suede which we’ve added seat covers to as we have two unhelpful dogs
  • coffee machine is bad, avoid (ours is in the loft - cheap rubbish which we’ll put back if we ever sell it - I use a nice stainless percolator and it’s fine)
  • we have the Mercedes mbux 10.2” which is fine but not at a great angle to use in practice - looks nice for resale (Garmin camper satnav added on top)
  • aircon depends on how you’ll use it (and needs to be on hookup unless you’ve got a lot of lithium!) - we’ve not used ours
  • more powerful engine is a must
  • 16” alloys helps with the weight (eg if up plating) and look nicer
  • ours is the creamy white, I had plan to pay for silver as I prefer white
  • get it plated to the max weight they’ll do
  • socket package is a must
  • not sure I’d get a gas oven - ours is pretty crap so I’d opt for an air fryer on hookup or just bbq outside if not.
  • external gas and electric points are essential
  • yes to carpets
  • biggest tv at the front you can (not sure if c is 32 or 40). We never use our small rear one (iPads are fine).
  • either additional battery or not (not if you’re planning to go lithium - we haven’t and have been fine so far as we run nothing which would need an inverter but haven’t ruled it out yet)
  • gaslow is brilliant
  • top end alarm and tracker (peace of mind and insurance)

Everything else is then fun to add (swap table as it’s too big, add lights to wardrobe, fastenings and lighting in garage, Victron shunt etc). We love ours - good luck!

Gordo

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Media pack as gives you rear camera.

Don't bother with carpets.

Chequer plate in garage

Get rid of front bed and get cupboards plus heki.

The basic plus package.

We fitted our own coffee machine.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner-for-t
Hi All
Thank you
Hi,
I have a Liner for two with some of the following options.
Silver paint,coffee machine,tag axle, leather, carpets, etc .The coffee machine come with an inverter which is very worth while. We also have auto and the uprated engine.
Word of warning,be prepared for quite a wait for parts should anything go wrong under warranty. Carthago are dead slow and stop in this respect.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner-for-t
Have fun.
LES
Hi,
The coffee machine is a good option as it comes with a decent quality inverter which appears to power all the 13amp pockets in the van. Unfortunately at the moment I have a fault with the inverter (hopefully something minor) which has been added to a list of issues for the dealer to fix.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Hi All
Thank you
Def the silver paint and the full leather, too many boring white boxes already, carpets no thank you, I would pay to not have them lol, inverter and coffee machine, much cheaper and better quality to do aftermarket, bring the van to Offgrid power solutions and go to town with upgrades😎🤷🏻‍♂️

Upvote 0

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Hi,
The coffee machine is a good option as it comes with a decent quality inverter which appears to power all the 13amp p Unfortunately at the moment I have a fault with the inverter (hopefully something minor) which has been added to a list of issues for the dealer to fix.

May I ask what’s on the list of issues

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2020
We’ve got carpets and they’re great in the autumn/ winter, then we leave them at home.

I’d make a spreadsheet and pay close attention to weight for what you add, remembering to assume full of water and fuel, two passengers (2 x75kg). I say this as we cancelled an order for an E-class as it had 1kg (!) payload with extras, fuelled etc but nothing else on board - dealer suggested we pay £20k extra for a tag axle. Errr, no. We bought a year old C-tourer an-class instead and love it. Weights are on the options price list.

Things I’d not want to be without:
  • awning
  • self levelling system (we added it, £6k, and removed the wind downs)
  • solar - we have 4x160w on the roof which I did myself (to be fair, the previous owner had a simple one panel system which I reutilised)
  • velo bike slideout
  • leather - we have a sort of suede which we’ve added seat covers to as we have two unhelpful dogs
  • coffee machine is bad, avoid (ours is in the loft - cheap rubbish which we’ll put back if we ever sell it - I use a nice stainless percolator and it’s fine)
  • we have the Mercedes mbux 10.2” which is fine but not at a great angle to use in practice - looks nice for resale (Garmin camper satnav added on top)
  • aircon depends on how you’ll use it (and needs to be on hookup unless you’ve got a lot of lithium!) - we’ve not used ours
  • more powerful engine is a must
  • 16” alloys helps with the weight (eg if up plating) and look nicer
  • ours is the creamy white, I had plan to pay for silver as I prefer white
  • get it plated to the max weight they’ll do
  • socket package is a must
  • not sure I’d get a gas oven - ours is pretty crap so I’d opt for an air fryer on hookup or just bbq outside if not.
  • external gas and electric points are essential
  • yes to carpets
  • biggest tv at the front you can (not sure if c is 32 or 40). We never use our small rear one (iPads are fine).
  • either additional battery or not (not if you’re planning to go lithium - we haven’t and have been fine so far as we run nothing which would need an inverter but haven’t ruled it out yet)
  • gaslow is brilliant
  • top end alarm and tracker (peace of mind and insurance)

Everything else is then fun to add (swap table as it’s too big, add lights to wardrobe, fastenings and lighting in garage, Victron shunt etc). We love ours - good luck!

Gordo
Fantastic response . Thank you .Yes the main reason for starting this thread is one of weight . We want to add only the essential options to keep the weight and cost down and get maximum payload and train weight 👍

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Based Hymer
Word of warning,be prepared for quite a wait for parts should anything go wrong under warranty. Carthago are dead slow and stop in this respect.
Gives you time to fix them yourself, which is a better option anyway because then you know its done properly.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back