Carthago import queries (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 6, 2024
Funster No
MH
AT Expedition 68
Does anyone know if carthagos have fog lights on both sides or if not is the loom there to connect? Just wondering if on a lhd van I would need to purchase a fog light.
Also headlights on the a-class I assume are switchable and does the merc mbux have a mph option on the display?

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
I’ve imported two A Class Carthago vans.
Fog lights are fine and the LED headlights are a flat beam.
If the MBUX dash is similar to my car which I would think is then yes, it will switch over from kph to mph.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
D
Aug 6, 2024
Funster No
MH
AT Expedition 68
Yes rear fogs. It doesn’t have front ones. All sounds good then - might just book the testing station checks for the way home if it doesn’t need any physical alterations to get a pass.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML-t 580 4x4
Exp
Getting there!
My RHD 138 A Class has rear fogs on both sides.

The import requirements for the speedo are ...

Speedometer

a. The existing (digital) speedometer is, permanently, re-programmed, through a standard feature of the vehicle, to display the vehicle speed in mph.
— or —
b. A dual marked dial / facia has been added as a replacement to the factory fitted one

The current MBUX 'should' show MPH on the digital display on the instrument binnacle.

I'm not sure if the rules means that the MPH display should be permanently on as the area on the display that would show this is also used to display other data.

I've imported a LHD E Class Merc which had a kmp/h speedo which would only show mph if I set the digital display and I managed to get that through the reg process.

If not, you will need one of these:

Mercedes Sprinter / Hymer Motorhome KMH to MPH Conversion Dial for imported

You can find enough info on how to fit the dial in these videos:

Your dials as standard will look like this:

image001.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
D
Aug 6, 2024
Funster No
MH
AT Expedition 68
I’ve imported two A Class Carthago vans.
Fog lights are fine and the LED headlights are a flat beam.
If the MBUX dash is similar to my car which I would think is then yes, it will switch over from kph to mph.
Can you recommend anyone to make the customs declaration? I had the below from HMRC which I am slightly confused about as I thought you could just notify HMRC with the details for personal imports?

In order to pay import VAT and Duty you will need to get a Customs Agent to make a customs declaration for you on the Customs Declaration System - even if you have brought the vehicle to the UK yourself on the ferry or Channel Tunnel.

Upvote 0
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML-t 580 4x4
Exp
Getting there!
Can you recommend anyone to make the customs declaration? I had the below from HMRC which I am slightly confused about as I thought you could just notify HMRC with the details for personal imports?

In order to pay import VAT and Duty you will need to get a Customs Agent to make a customs declaration for you on the Customs Declaration System - even if you have brought the vehicle to the UK yourself on the ferry or Channel Tunnel.

Try UK Import Services - they can handle the VAT declaration and NOVA forms.

The HMRC Import Code is:

Commodity 8703331100
Motor caravans

https://trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/duty-calculator/duty

Upvote 0
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML-t 580 4x4
Exp
Getting there!
Does anyone know if carthagos have fog lights on both sides or if not is the loom there to connect? Just wondering if on a lhd van I would need to purchase a fog light.
Also headlights on the a-class I assume are switchable and does the merc mbux have a mph option on the display?
This is on German spec 2024 LHD Mercedes Hymer ….

Mph on the centre display … just set units to mph in the MBUX.

IMG_5340.jpeg

Two fog lights at rear … pretty sure the Carthago would be the same as it’s the Mercedes wiring loom that must power the Carthago lights.

IMG_5341.jpeg

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back