Carthago Compactline 138 or 143 advice please (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi - does anyone have a Carthago Compactline either 143 or 138?

We are interested in buying one (we have been looking for a PVC but struggling to find the right van!).

The dimensions of these compact line carthago’s seem to be similar to a PVC, but does anyone have any real life experience if driving them, especially narrow country lanes and small, steep alpine climbs?

Also, it would appear that with the 143, the bathroom door can be used to separate the bedroom / living areas (effectively making an internal door). Does the 138 have the same bathroom door to close off the living area?

There are a few up for sale on Autotrader (although even the second hand prices are somewhat steep!). It would be a big investment for us, so we’re trying at the moment to find the right van / size / layout etc!

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
We have a 143, Minxy has a 138 and Lenny HB a 141. Yes you can separate the bedroom on the 143. We are loving our 143, 180hp engine is a dream and we drove it up porlock hill from new so looking forward to the pyrenees in winter.

Huge garage and cavernous underfloor storage, we d9nt have front bed so extra storage there too.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P
Jun 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you!

Impressed you got it up Porlock Hill (I’ve cycled up there and nearly gave myself heart failure!!!)

We go to the Pyrenees and Alps - usually drive the car to the top of the small alpine roads to start hiking, so keen to have a van that is small and narrow enough to get up there.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
We loved our 143 and now have a smaller Malibu Van 640. Compared to earlier motorhomes the 143 was easy to manoeuvre down narrow roads and we never found it wanting on hills, but didn’t attempt any steep Alps. Our current van feels smaller still but in reality there is not a lot of difference in size. The 143 room dividing door is useful but I wouldn’t describe it as a game changer.

Upvote 0

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
We have the 143 and it has a sliding door to block the bedroom off from the rest of the van. It’s a comfortmatic that drives superb. Had it remapped to 180bhp and the torque and economy increase was quite significant.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
141 & 143 both have door that opens across the van to give a dressing area. Can't do that on a 138.

Drives almost like a car hardly notice hills, for the UK market the 180hp engine & 9 speed auto box is standard.
Only had ours a few weeks the lounge is a bit tight other than that really pleased with it.

Don't even think about trying to run one at 3500kg just not possible if you can best to get one on the Maxi chassis at 4250kg.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Hi,

We also have a 143 (2020). Just had it up plated as the payload was going to be a problem for us, something you might want to consider?
So far very pleased with it does what it says on the tin Lol.
Where abouts in the country are you? If you are anywhere near Norfolk or Northampton at the right time you are welcome to come and have a look.

Mark & Jill.

Upvote 0
Dec 7, 2017
Sherwood Forest, Notts
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017. Before had caravan, folding camper and various tents.
We have a 141 and love it. It’s got 150hp engine and comfortmatic gearbox and was fine in the alps last year. It’s a 2019 model.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
I have 2021 138. The bathroom door is hinged at the bed end. We can, and do, use the door to partially block off the bed area if a nap is required, but it is not eally designed to do this. I think older 138s have the bathroom door hinged at the lounge end, so I don't think it would work to separate the bed area at all.

My 138 is 150bhp 2.3 9 speed and it drives very well. Narrow, hilly roads aren't much of a problem. Plenty of power. My thought process is if an Amazon van can make a delivery then my 138 will be ok as long as the surface is grippy enough for the front tyres to keep hold uphill.

My previous van was a 6m PVC and there isn't a huge difference in footprint but the 138 interior height and cab space is much better for me at 6"3. Storage is brilliant too. I only wish our 138 didn't have the pull-down bed. It's a great van for 2 folk but, although roomier than the PVC, I still wouldn't want 4 folk living inside for any length of time.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P
Jun 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks all - really useful information.

There are only 2 of us, but we need separate sleeping areas, with a divider (preferably a door).

Thanks for heads up about the payload - I’d looked on the Carthago website and it said the “compact line lightweight” version had a payload around 600kg. That would be OK for us, but I’m not sure if it is that much in reality (how many “extras” would decrease this in practice?)

Many thanks for the kind offer to see your van. We’re in North Wales, so unfortunately not close enough (unless you’re heading this way on holiday … half of the UK seems to be visiting here at the moment 😂)

Upvote 1

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks for heads up about the payload - I’d looked on the Carthago website and it said the “compact line lightweight” version had a payload around 600kg. That would be OK for us, but I’m not sure if it is that much in reality (how many “extras” would decrease this in practice?)
600kg is not a lot on a German van it refers to the basic weight you can't even buy one like that. They won't sell it to you without the chassis pack & 16" wheels and every extra you add reduces the payload.
Also Carthago's always come out of the factory between 125 to 130kg over weight.

Upvote 1
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
I've taken my 138 to some very tight places. The visibility is very good as it has excellent mirrors and an always on rear camera. I don't worry about taking it into small towns, villages or city centres.

I have taken mine up quite a few mountain roads like this one near Alpe d'Heuz ..... no problems at all with the performance in the hills.

It's the same footprint as a 6.4m PVC van but much bigger inside, has a double floor with heaps of storage and a decent garage.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have a 141 and love it. It’s got 150hp engine and comfortmatic gearbox and was fine in the alps last year. It’s a 2019 model.
Same here, never had any problems going up any hills anywhere except for one time when in Ireland when the road was wet and pretty steep and had gravel etc on it, no way could we get up it ... when we reversed down and turned round the chaps at the bottom who were doing some road repairs mentioned that there was a sign saying no MHs etc ... they'd parked their van in front of it so we never saw it! :rolleyes:

I have 2021 138. The bathroom door is hinged at the bed end. We can, and do, use the door to partially block off the bed area if a nap is required, but it is not eally designed to do this. I think older 138s have the bathroom door hinged at the lounge end, so I don't think it would work to separate the bed area at all.
We have the earlier one and it doesn't close off the bedroom as you say however when I get changed for kayaking I have a large quick-dry towel that I hang from the back of the door across to the kitchen top cupboard handle to create a dressing area, if I wanted something a bit more 'permanent' I'd simply put an expanding net curtain rod at roof level with a shower curtain on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My 138 is 150bhp 2.3 9 speed and it drives very well. Narrow, hilly roads aren't much of a problem. Plenty of power. My thought process is if an Amazon van can make a delivery then my 138 will be ok as long as the surface is grippy enough for the front tyres to keep hold uphill.
We've got the 150bhp 6 speed Comfortmatic and it gets us where we want to be without issues.

My previous van was a 6m PVC and there isn't a huge difference in footprint but the 138 interior height and cab space is much better for me at 6"3. Storage is brilliant too. I only wish our 138 didn't have the pull-down bed. It's a great van for 2 folk but, although roomier than the PVC, I still wouldn't want 4 folk living inside for any length of time.
Prior to our Carthago we had a 6m Autocruise PVC and two 6.36m Globecar PVCs (coachbuilts etc before them), our 138 is 2.12m wide and 6.41m long so only 7cm wider and 5cm longer than the last two PVCs but the difference is like chalk and cheese as has been mentioned by you and others ... a heck of a lot more room, fantastic storage, much superior built quality etc. We loved our PVCs but absolutely adore our Carthago.

As for beds, I and our Tazzy (right in avatar) have the rear double and hubby and the other two have the front drop-down double, it works a treat for us as he goes to sleep earlier than me as I like to do my puzzle book and he tends to be awake before me to let the 2 younger pooches out.

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I've got a 2016 138 with 150hp engine and six speed manual box. Mine has the locker option rather than the drop-down bed. I too have been up and down Porlock hill a number of times when my stepson lived just outside Lynton at Countisbury. Notwithstanding Lenny the Pencil's caveat on payload, I can just about run mine with full fuel, water and two e-bikes plus the usual stuff with 20Kg to spare. The absence of the drop-down bed does save some kilos though.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P
Jun 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you all for such useful information - much appreciated 😊

Definitely seems like a suitable van for us, subject to payload. Although we would like to see one in person to check driving position (I’m only 5 foot, other half is 6’3”, so adjustable drivers seat is crucial!)

We’ll keep an eye open for any coming up for sale, especially near us in north Wales.

Thanks again folks 😊

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016

Definitely seems like a suitable van for us, subject to payload. Although we would like to see one in person to check driving position (I’m only 5 foot, other half is 6’3”, so adjustable drivers seat is crucial!)

We’ll keep an eye open for any coming up for sale, especially near us in north Wales.

Thanks again folks 😊
They have Aguti seats so fully adjustable up, down, forward and back, I'm 6'5" and Mrs T a foot or so shorter and both fine.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017

Thanks again folks 😊
My better half is 5'2" . A footrest is needed for the front seat to stop her feet from dangling, one for forward facing and another for lounging. Also a folding step is needed for the loo to stop her feet dangling ( and to provide some purchase when required ... .so I'm told) . The loo is extraordinarily tall. To help her ascend to the bed ( 138 so no middle steps, just little steps adjacent to the fridge) an adapted garden trampoline ladder is in place ( thanks Minxy for this life-saving tip) .

Edit: she can drive fine... the footrest is for the passenger seat!!!

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
My wife is 5'1". In our 143 she didn’t need a foot support for facing forward in the passenger seat but we both preferred a foot rest when facing the table. We used a low plastic storage crate which was easy to slide around by foot. The loo was particularly high and a collapsible plastic step was kept behind the loo for those thoughtful moments.

IMG_0600.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
Thank all.

Any thoughts / feedback / advice on this 141 on autotrader? Not much info in the ad …

If you plan on sleeping separately then a 138 with transverse rear and drop down front bed might suit better. The lounge in the 141 is a bit smaller and the bathroom layout is different. If a dividing door is an absolute necessity then 141 or 143 are needed. If the separate sleeping arrangements are due to noise, then earplugs would be cheaper. ( I'm not prying nor do I expect you to share your reasons).

Upvote 0
Dec 7, 2017
Sherwood Forest, Notts
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017. Before had caravan, folding camper and various tents.
Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Thank all.

Any thoughts / feedback / advice on this 141 on autotrader? Not much info in the ad …

Very low mileage of 6307 with only 782 in the last year. Should have had a new timing belt this year and a Comfortmatic full fluid change last year. With such a low mileage the previous owner may not have made certain these jobs were done properly. Even some Fiat Professional garages cut corners on the Comfortmatic fluid change and pretend it is not needed, but it is.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P
Jun 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks folks.

We are also considering the 138 as well as the 141.

Small vehicle size is really important, along with separate sleeping areas. An internal door is good, but we could consider internal curtains. Unfortunately I have a brain injury (after being hit by a car). It means I am extremely sensitive to sound (even someone breathing at night), and temperature. We managed in our last motorhome which had a combination of an internal (bathroom) door, soundproof curtains, earplugs etc. We are hoping to do something similar with a different (smaller!) motorhome.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
My better half is 5'2" . A footrest is needed for the front seat to stop her feet from dangling,

My wife is 5'1". In our 143 she didn’t need a foot support for facing forward in the passenger seat
All you people with tall wife's, mine is 4'10".😊
She made a beanie bag that she uses as a footrest.

The loo height in the 138 & 143 is plain stupid one reason we bought a 141 it has a normal loo. Also I know 3 people who have had problem with the 138/143 washrooms where the shower screen allows water to splash on the cupboards and ruin them.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
All you people with tall wife's, mine is 4'10".😊
She made a beanie bag that she uses as a footrest.

The loo height in the 138 & 143 is plain stupid one reason we bought a 141 it has a normal loo. Also I know 3 people who have had problem with the 138/143 washrooms where the shower screen allows water to splash on the cupboards and ruin them.
I added a sealing strip to the bottom of the shower screen in front of the cupboards before any damage was caused.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back