Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
Hello Fellow Funsters, me again.

Found an A class I like the look of. The owner hasn’t had it long, done a bit of euro trip and is now unfortunately back due to health issues.

Very little paperwork to go with the van before he bought it so no previous service or hab history. No current hab check either from what I can gather, despite seller saying it’s just been serviced inside and out…..when I asked about the hab check, he mentioned he was a gas engineer and is happy with that part but didn’t really understand the rest…..might time for a roadtrip with me damp meter🧐

Does anyone know what these are plated at? The owner seems to think it’s 3.5t, but mentioned when he was on a weighbridge empty he came in at 3150. That leaves a payload of 350kg - that can’t be right can it?
Our current payload is aound 900kg🙀

Any other tips/advice for stuff that I’ve missed would be appreciated🙏🏼

Solution2
I get that, what’s of concern is the anomalies that others have pointed out above that I hadn’t even spotted.
I've always thought that if you're not absolutely certain about something then walk away, otherwise if it turns out to be a wrong 'un, you'll be kicking yourself forever more.
Jul 5, 2022
Bridport, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
30 years
Hello Fellow Funsters, me again.

Found an A class I like the look of. The owner hasn’t had it long, done a bit of euro trip and is now unfortunately back due to health issues.

Very little paperwork to go with the van before he bought it so no previous service or hab history. No current hab check either from what I can gather, despite seller saying it’s just been serviced inside and out…..when I asked about the hab check, he mentioned he was a gas engineer and is happy with that part but didn’t really understand the rest…..might time for a roadtrip with me damp meter🧐

Does anyone know what these are plated at? The owner seems to think it’s 3.5t, but mentioned when he was on a weighbridge empty he came in at 3150. That leaves a payload of 350kg - that can’t be right can it?
Our current payload is aound 900kg🙀

Any other tips/advice for stuff that I’ve missed would be appreciated🙏🏼

According to the vehicle details on the advert it’s 4250 kg.

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I don’t see that, perhaps because I’m on the App?
1717449188782.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
Smells fishy to me
Yup, as nice as the chap is - his story doesn’t quite add up. Bought it in November and and done a Euro trip, went as far as Portugal which from his address is 1400 odd miles…it’s only done that since last Mot over a year ago🙀
When I asked him about the mileage not sounding right, he said he’d have to check which i find bizarre…
He also only had a v5 and Mot which I find bizarre too but then I am a boffin for paperwork🙈

Upvote 1
OP
OP
S
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
Ferry to Santander?
Good point, never thought of that🙈
Still doesn’t explain the anomalies mentioned by others above.
Also when I try and HPI on both original & private plate, it initially gives me the same van but a different year. When I then proceed to buy a full check, I get the below (message in the top banner)

IMG_8314.png

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
I think you need to be realistic on this, it is a 15 year old van, at what seems a fair price, check it carefully for damp, and general condition, if you are happy with it go for it. At that age it will need things doing to it, but should still be sound.
Check the weight plates and v5, as very unlikely to be under 3500kg, and so will need c1 licence.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Yup, as nice as the chap is - his story doesn’t quite add up. Bought it in November and and done a Euro trip, went as far as Portugal which from his address is 1400 odd miles…it’s only done that since last Mot over a year ago🙀
When I asked him about the mileage not sounding right, he said he’d have to check which i find bizarre…
He also only had a v5 and Mot which I find bizarre too but then I am a boffin for paperwork🙈
400 odd miles since MoT in February 2024.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
I think you need to be realistic on this, it is a 15 year old van, at what seems a fair price, check it carefully for damp, and general condition, if you are happy with it go for it. At that age it will need things doing to it, but should still be sound.
Check the weight plates and v5, as very unlikely to be under 3500kg, and so will need c1 licence.
I get that, what’s of concern is the anomalies that others have pointed out above that I hadn’t even spotted.

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey
I've always thought that if you're not absolutely certain about something then walk away, otherwise if it turns out to be a wrong 'un, you'll be kicking yourself forever more.

Upvote 0
Solution
OP
OP
S
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
Went to view this, as suspected it had a few faults and didn’t look/feel very loved;
Damp at rear roof (29% readings)
Slipping clutch
Zero service or hab history
Water overflowing into hab area from freezer whilst on drive
Front scuttle panel behind bonnet was half gone due to rust.
Front bed not staying up (possibly an easy fix that one as guess it’s fixings of some sort)
Mines is 6 years older and really made me appreciate what I’ve got.
A day wasted which I don’t mind too much as had a day free with the kids & missus away, but a reminder I guess to trust your gut if something doesn’t quite add up.
The owner also changed his original story from our original convo of Euro trip (which didn’t tie up to mileage) to just around the UK….not sure why he felt the need to lie🙈😂

Upvote 0
May 26, 2012
Bangor, Northern Ireland, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic CLine
Exp
Since 2010
My Chic C Line came at 3850kg which we uprated to 4000kg and we manage easily with that. Ours is a 2017 with transverse beds, since then the Chic C Line range has got longer. If I was buying now, I would go for 4250kg.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back