Carrying a guitar in a 6m motorhome (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB

Made my own version of a Backpacker
DSC_8412.JPG

Or if you prefer electric... 20 inch scale.
DSC_7270.JPG

Silas

Free Member
May 1, 2018
Stafford
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
One month
No, not at all. Guitaleles have 6 strings and very weird tuning so you would have to learn even more chord shapes!

Errr. NO.
You can tune it the same as a guitar.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nonose

Free Member
Mar 13, 2019
Gloucester.
Funster No
MH
Cl Riviera 121 (Vandora)
Exp
1previous van. Not had one for 3 years.
In a soft case and stored in a cargo net (or hammock,) suspended from the ceiling perhaps ? :)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Never has a guitar, but if it helps you we used to carry our short surf boards in the garage space under the bed ...... BUT ........ suspended from the 'ceiling' (I.E. just under the bed slats) in our 6m Globecar PVC.

This kept them safely out of the way and only used up the 'dead' space in the garage .......... it was a win/win situation (y)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Not quite sure how much space you think your going to save by having a soft case, think about it, you will save a bit of space but only because your squashing your guitar into somewhere, a hard case takes up not a lot more room, put detachable legs on the case and use it as a table!:whistle:
I take my Gibson J200 with me often, it still gets battered and it’s in a hard case, so what, I’m never going to sell it, son will get it when I go, he’ll like the road worn effect, a pristine guitar tells me it’s probably rarely used, it’s life that’s precious not the guitar, use it and love it dings and all.(y)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I was able to carry a fully flight-cased acoustic when touring.
Plus a P.A. system, plus mic stands and mics, plus two amps, lights and backing singers eh Mike;)(y)

MickyP

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 601
Exp
12 years plus
Bungee it to the back of the passenger seat. I know people who carry their folding chairs like this.
I carried a guitar in a soft case around Morocco like that the bumpy roads broke all the binding around the body. Now put it on the fixed bed in a soft case. In footwell at bedtime.
Biggest problem I have is which Guitar to Take? Only room for one, and sometimes a Uke, More often than not I carry my Yamaha 6 string Apx 500ii a Roland street Cube a mic and stand and leads. Quite often travel 2/3 months can’t live with an instrument that long. No chance of taking the Bass Guitar.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ralph Hardwick
Sep 30, 2018
Norfolk UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 202
Exp
10 years overlanding in a Discovery. Sahara, Arctic, Iceland and Asia with more to come.
Thanks everyone. TBH, when I posted this I didn't expect so many replies. There are obviously more mobile virtuosos than I thought. So it sounds like a soft case fixed to the back of the passenger seat when driving on smooth roads, and on the bed when driving in North Africa (or Norfolk!). ;)

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
Recently we've carried a guitar on the fixed bed over the garage whilst travelling (in a case) then transferred it to the cab whilst parked up,.

BUT last year for our summer trip Martin took a guitalele which fitted nicely, in its case, in the wardrobe. Hopefully, as I type, it's being sold, and a three quarter guitar is the next purchase for travelling.
I’ve got a three quarter guitar for sale if you want one

Nov 1, 2011
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
A Class Pilote
Exp
since August 2012
2016-Foxash-7).jpg

You guitarists don't know you're born! All the above kit lives in the double floor of my 7.5m Pilote and goes everywhere with me.

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I was considering getting one of these, actually been considering for quite some time just not got the dosh. It's called a silent guitar and if you've ever heard me play then that is not a bad thing.

At the moment I take a Tanglewood Gibson sg copy and a Vox battery ampl
preview.jpg

Best Wishes Tony

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ralph Hardwick
Sep 30, 2018
Norfolk UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 202
Exp
10 years overlanding in a Discovery. Sahara, Arctic, Iceland and Asia with more to come.
That looks good from a weight perspective but would still take up as much space as a 'normal' guitar. I love the look of it, but prefer the acoustic sound for the 'around the campfire' sound. I'm intending to carry a small amp. Mainly for effects rather than volume.

9584025_800.jpg

url

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
When we were motorhoming my guitar travelled on the fixed bed with no case and then stood in the footwell behind the passenger captains seat when not in use , easy .
Brian & Jo

Hilewaychile

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Very variable. UK and Spain are the loci
Funster No
MH
DIY Vaux Movano
Exp
10 years, on and off.
Thanks, do you know I had never even heard of a guitalele! I had to google that. Every day is a school day :D
My current guitar is a full-size Ovation and I would rather not buy another (that's code for: my wife will kill me if I buy another guitar!). We bought our granddaughter a 3/4 and I can definitely see the attraction, but I'm not sure it really saves that much space.

In a room full of non-players I am a guitar god! However, in real life, I can strum a few campfire favourites and if everyone has drunk enough I sound pretty good :cool:

The Ovation is a big guitar. In a case, a great lump. A gig-bag is not really as much protection as I would want on the road for such a guitar. If you have rigid-shell case, you could cut down on weight but barely any loss of protection with one of the semi-rigid cases. They are simply the same as rigid cases but the shell is made of polystyrene. I've had a couple of these for Strats. Look in Gear4You.

Another route altogether would be to go electric - solid body. Semi-acoustic like the Gibson 355 [as per BB King's 'Lucille'] and clones is too big. Strats, Teles, SGs, and all the clones of these are not bulky. In a semi-rigid case 1/3 the depth and about the same weight as your present rig.

Amps - there are plenty of biscuit-tin size amps that run on battery or mains. Where would your busker be, down the London U/gnd without one? I have a Black Star Fly Bass. It's available with a second speaker, making it stereo pair - nice when you use it as a system to play MP3s etc. It works perfectly well as an amp for a 6 string guitar. The Black Star Fly specifically for guitar doesn't have the option of linking a second speaker but has more 6-string specific effects. Interestingly, the photo Black Star uses on its page for the Fly is of a BBQ. These boxes are tiny, about the size of a 400 gram loaf. https://www.blackstaramps.com/uk/ranges/fly-bass

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I hang mine on the back of the bog door in a guitar hanger and I stop it moving with a tiny bit of Velcro stuck to the door and another tiny bit on the back of the guitar. In many years it’s stayed there quite happily so it’s both safe and easy to access.

OP
OP
Ralph Hardwick
Sep 30, 2018
Norfolk UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 202
Exp
The Ovation is a big guitar. In a case, a great lump. A gig-bag is not really as much protection as I would want on the road for such a guitar. If you have rigid-shell case, you could cut down on weight but barely any loss of protection with one of the semi-rigid cases. They are simply the same as rigid cases but the shell is made of polystyrene. I've had a couple of these for Strats. Look in Gear4You.

Another route altogether would be to go electric - solid body. Semi-acoustic like the Gibson 355 [as per BB King's 'Lucille'] and clones is too big. Strats, Teles, SGs, and all the clones of these are not bulky. In a semi-rigid case 1/3 the depth and about the same weight as your present rig.

Amps - there are plenty of biscuit-tin size amps that run on battery or mains. Where would your busker be, down the London U/gnd without one? I have a Black Star Fly Bass. It's available with a second speaker, making it stereo pair - nice when you use it as a system to play MP3s etc. It works perfectly well as an amp for a 6 string guitar. The Black Star Fly specifically for guitar doesn't have the option of linking a second speaker but has more 6-string specific effects. Interestingly, the photo Black Star uses on its page for the Fly is of a BBQ. These boxes are tiny, about the size of a 400 gram loaf. https://www.blackstaramps.com/uk/ranges/fly-bass

Fair point, the Ovation should really stay at home and I should take my old battered Tanglewood, but I just love it too much to leave it behind:rolleyes::rolleyes:
I already have an electric (Yamaha Pacifica 212) and an amp (Roland Cube) but want a true acoustic sound for campfire droning when everyone is too drunk to hear how bad I am. ;)

The problem with many amps is that they are not suitable for acoustics. The little Yamaha is tailored specifically for acoustics, can run off batteries, has reverb, delay and chorus and is the size of a lunchbox. It will mainly be when I'm noodling on my own, but is just enough for a small group if needed.

OP
OP
Ralph Hardwick
Sep 30, 2018
Norfolk UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 202
Exp
I hang mine on the back of the bog door in a guitar hanger and I stop it moving with a tiny bit of Velcro stuck to the door and another tiny bit on the back of the guitar. In many years it’s stayed there quite happily so it’s both safe and easy to access.

Nice idea(y)

I presume the extra weight hasn't affected the door hinges?

OZeRV

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Cobram, 3644, Victoria, AUSTRALIA
Funster No
MH
Aust bus conv., UK C
Exp
Since 1995
This year we are travelling with:
  • Tenor uke in hard case
  • Mandolin in soft case
  • UBass (bass ukulele) in soft case
  • Banjolele in hard case
  • Roland MicroCube Bass RX Amp
In this last 3 weeks we have been with this gear in Australia, Japan, Thailand, and now our motorhome in UK and about to head to the warmth of Spain and Portugal.

Our instruments sit on the bed whilst en route, we didn't bring a guitar this year as we are also travelling with an extra passenger for 6 months, our 12 year old granddaughter so space is at a premium.

So yes, by all means bring your cherished musical instruments with you, jam with others, maybe perform here and there and you will have a blast.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I could take one of my basses but fear as soon as I plugged it in I would be evicted from the site! And don't suggest acoustic basses or bass ukuleles, they are pants till you plug them in.....

May I suggest one of the Focusrite USB audio interfaces, just plug it into your laptop plug in a set of headphones and play away to your hearts content without upsetting anyone. If you purchase the Scarlet 6I6 model (I have one) you can plug two sets of headphones in so you can impress your loved one with your playing, you can even purchase amp simulators to run on the laptop so it sounds like your favorite set up. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back