LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Its Throunal time, A thread and a Journal. I write a sort of blog, load it up with photos, write a few words which may or may not assist somebody in the future when planning their holiday. Previous journals are in my signature of each post.
I, possibly because I have done a few, find them quite easy to do and they take the amount of time it takes the wife to cook a frozen paella from lidls and pour a chilled beer and they can be found from the map they create. Here is a link to the Continental version of the Journal map where you can see all previous continental tours entries https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/categories/continental-tours.77/map

A completely different holiday for us, I am normally an unpaid up member of the FLT society and dont pay an awful lot for our holidays, as can be seen in other journals, but this time, with Austria being free aire challenging, we are going to 3 campsites within 100 km of each other.
Carinthia is Southern Austria, just over the Alps and bordering Slovenia and Italy. We have done a week through there previously and really liked it. We have tried doing this holiday previously but the weather over April to warm the lakes up didnt happen so we swapped.
This year, the temperature in the lakes is sufficient enough for us to swim in (or will be in a week or so) so our cunning plan is to go the campsite with a swimming pool first.

We have ummed and arred all week about the weather and even until yesterday afternoon we were going to Provence, which will wait til late August, but already planned but we are going for it.

We have 53 days away and I leave work late this afternoon and straight to ferry to Bergues overnight and it seems we wont get to Carinthia until Wednesday afternoon when it is raining and Thursday will be our first full day.

Our plan is to buy the Carinthia card https://www.kaerntencard.at/sommer/en/ for 72 pounds each. This gives us free entertainment for 5 weeks including all the panoramic roads, swimming pools, ferry cruises, cable cars and a lot of tourist attractions.
In order to get to these from the campsites (averaging 25 pounds a night) we are taking our little Suzuki Address 110 cc instead of the trusty E bikes and we cant find too many disused railway lines !.
We plan on taking a fortnight for getting there and getting back giving us the 35 days in Carinthia.

The motor is Rollerteam 685 with sufficient solar, lithium and LPG to keep us off grid for extended periods but full fat electricity will be had at the ACSI sites. We are over 3500 kgs

We will not be using the Vignette/Gobox system for Austria (see above for FLT badge holder) and will use the minor roads instead so it will cost me an hour and save me 100 euros. Irish Ferries is our cheapest option for channel hopping so that is our choice for later today. We are also armed with Graffiti stickers to be stuck on appropriate places (by a friend of course)

The map below is self created (I do like a map) of all the sites we can go to on the Carinthia Card and a couple of other interesting things located. There will also be a free Millstat card giving us further free adventures

I wouldnt have thought there will be another entry til we hit Germany somewhere around Sunday evening then I write up the Journal of the day, possibly including photos of an autobahn and the graffitied stellplatz (done by a friend of course) we stay at. Salzburg may be on the agenda for Tuesday.
Then I copy the link from the journal and put it into the Thread (this thing) and on here you can all advise me of the cheapest diesel, best beer, unmissable sights, traffic jams etc. but youre probably wisest to keep recommendations for nice and poor restaurants to yourself as that wont be happening, but if you do know of cheap and nasty kebab shop, we are your target audience. No guessing the cost of the meal because it will always be under 5 euros for the pair of us ! That then keeps the Journal free of chit chat. It doesnt mean you cant use the journal to comment as that has possibilities as well.
Carinthia.PNG

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I’m in front of you😁😁 I’ve just cracked open one of these
View attachment 899200

Something to look forward to when you get there, 👍
Arggh but did you have the romantic meal we did ?

I actually put some effort in for the first time and bought a 10 piece bargain KFC bucket yesterday in ashford
Reheated it tonight with coriander rice.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!

I actually put some effort in for the first time and bought a 10 piece bargain KFC bucket yesterday in ashford
You’re in Augsburg and they’ve got one of the best steak houses in the area the Chorizo Argentina steak house at the top end of maximilionstraße 😉😁😁

Edit it’s now called the Block House🤷‍♂️

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
You’re in Augsburg and they’ve got one of the best steak houses in the area the Chorizo Argentina steak house at the top end of maximilionstraße 😉😁😁

Edit it’s now called the Block House🤷‍♂️
You don't know me very well 😉

Last time a proper meal was purchased was 7 years ago in Frejus on our wedding anniversary. It was a back street kebab house but we did eat in so it counts as a meal out.

Bung me a link to this steak house of notoriety and I LL show her what she could have had. 👍 She LL appreciate that

Genuinely, it's not me that's the tight one! I need sympathy for being groomed into being a FLT. 😏

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp

Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
Memories, 40 years ago we used to go to one in Munich. Ordered a rack of ribs for me and a steak for her. Blinking blimey was our doggy bag heavy!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp

You old romantic that you are 😂😂
Enjoy your trip, look forward to reading about it

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We went there a few years ago, big walk up to the top though👍
I looked at it and thought, "that's a trek" but as I was going over to see how much the lift was, 3 year old kids with grandparents more elderly than us started walking up there.
You get a break every 100 yards or so at each gate and although we didn't time it, it didn't feel long at all.

If I had used the lift I would have had to have a word with myself

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
I looked at it and thought, "that's a trek" but as I was going over to see how much the lift was, 3 year old kids with grandparents more elderly than us started walking up there.
You get a break every 100 yards or so at each gate and although we didn't time it, it didn't feel long at all.

If I had used the lift I would have had to have a word with myself
suavecarve are you going to visit the minimundus? That’s worth an afternoon👍

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Its unfortunate as it does look like a good un and right up my street
Looked at the billy bonus pyramid berg thing and the lake trip but we get them free anyway.
We will give it til Monday where we are based at volkermarket then we will be just south of Klagenfurt and might do there and Villach for 11 days (campsite does 11 days for price of 10) then we will move on to Spittal area and do all the freebies up there. We have 11 cable cars to somewhen !
Stalactite caves tomorrow and I found a waterfall somewhere but can't find it now. If weather good in morning we might do a cable car tomorrow

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
suavecarve the pyramidenkogel is great, lift up, slide down, but beware they charge you to slide down, I think it was about €4 each! It takes around 22 seconds to get to the bottom👍👍

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

🤮🤮🤮

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
suavecarve the pyramidenkogel is great, lift up, slide down, but beware they charge you to slide down, I think it was about €4 each! It takes around 22 seconds to get to the bottom👍👍
4 euros is within my remit for the slide but it looks steep and looks like it's on my back so I LL have to begrudgingly give it a miss ..... But if the wife isn't looking then there are possibilities !

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Couple of less interesting ones today (in our view)

Spotted this on the way through.

Something about Cathedrals and Basilicae ? We like
Nothing extraordinary about age or exterior photogenic but thought it was worthy of a pop in.

We were there in the 12-2 lunch period and it was open and not... https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/sankt-andra-basilica.462/

Located in Wolfsberg this is a proper museum which under any circumstances wouldn't interest us at all.
But it was a nice ride out on a nice day and our intention was to couple it up with the poms waterfall but when we checked from wolfsberg it... https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/museum-in-the-lavanthaus-karten-card.461/

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
One more later today

A cable car up and down which was free with the Karten card savings 23 euros.
Nice bike ride up to the base and we made an early start with less clouds about. Reckon it was about 10 minutes long in a telecabin and it goes straight but does go up... https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/petzen-cable-car-karten-card.463/

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back