LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
There's an old couple that spend all winter on the motorhome parking at Archena. They bring their caravan and set it up for the duration. They aren't Spanish! They come from cold Germany, to save on their heating, I expect!

The authorities are to blame for not "policing" these "parking" places. Whilst people get away with what they're doing, they'll continue to do so.

Some of us abide by the regulations (especially when we have a ESP registered van) because we should know the rules 🤔😂

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Converted by whom? Would you include Possl, IH and numerous other manufacturers? And then there are small outfits that convert to a customers order, right down to Joe Blogs doing it himself in his back garden.

Very difficult to differentiate.
it was a tongue in cheek reply to post#22 not a serious suggestion :)

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Maybe they ought to ban converted vans as well ? :)
Having converted five vans myself and read the horror stories of folks on here who have bought 'professionally' built one I think you may have a wrong impression of 'self builds'.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 20, 2020
Mallorca, Spain
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Marlin
Exp
About 10 years
There's an old couple that spend all winter on the motorhome parking at Archena. They bring their caravan and set it up for the duration. They aren't Spanish! They come from cold Germany, to save on their heating, I expect!

The authorities are to blame for not "policing" these "parking" places. Whilst people get away with what they're doing, they'll continue to do so.

Some of us abide by the regulations (especially when we have a ESP registered van) because we should know the rules 🤔😂
The site in Archena is huge, at least in comparison to most sites, and if one couple choose to winter there wether in a motorhome or caravan it's really not going to change anything. Massive Concords or motorhomes with trailers are more of an inconvenience I find. But whichever, live and let live is my motto...

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Thank you, I'm glad you realise that there are good and bad in both scenarios.
Open to all types I have self built several different vehicles even one of these back in 1970 IIRC
bedfordjamb.jpg :)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
And they can afford to stay on campsites.
There should be a 7m limit.

What's being able to afford campsites or not got to do with using airs?

Exactly. We often want to go to remote places where a campsite could not possibly make a profit. One little aire has room for 2 units. half way up a mountain and no flat space for a campsite.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Head the comment more than once from French motorhomers who have not been able to use what they consider to be a national institution.
Just saying.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What's the problem with caravans parking on an Aire, I know it's supposed to be against the rules but why ?

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Head the comment more than once from French motorhomers who have not been able to use what they consider to be a national institution.
Just saying.

That doesn't make sense when the French themselves sell MHs of 7m+. Mine is one of them. Although it's a Benimar, it was sold from new in France.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
What's the problem with caravans parking on an Aire, I know it's supposed to be against the rules but why ?
Lots of Caravans do not have the facilities that a MH has is a probable one.
An Aire invariable doesn’t provide a large enough pitch is another.
Motorhomes generally move on but a Caravaner lingers in one spot.
Caravans definitely abuse the Rule, No camping behaviour.

I could go on.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Lots of Caravans do not have the facilities that a MH has is a probable one.
An Aire invariable doesn’t provide a large enough pitch is another.
Motorhomes generally move on but a Caravaner lingers in one spot.
Caravans definitely abuse the Rule, No camping behaviour.

I could go on.
Most caravans IV seen have all the facilities, probably far more than some of the mattress in a van setups.
A small caravan and car is smaller than these palace things towing a trailer or car.
Caravans can be moved on just as easily as a motorhome.
What camping would they get up to that you can't in a motorhome?
I could go on.
None of the above reasons makes any sense that caravans are any different than motorhomes.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Most caravans IV seen have all the facilities, probably far more than some of the mattress in a van setups.
A small caravan and car is smaller than these palace things towing a trailer or car.
Caravans can be moved on just as easily as a motorhome.
What camping would they get up to that you can't in a motorhome?
I could go on.
None of the above reasons makes any sense that caravans are any different than motorhomes.
OK not that frequently, a few times over the years, but we've even seen tuggers reversing into a pitch, disconnecting the towing hook-up cable and dropping their steadies / jockey wheel as they were only staying overnight. Not even using their water / waste hogs but just a couple of collapsible buckets.

Would guess it would just be a transit stop maybe between ferry and home or vice versa.:unsure: In fact we've even seen one in the ferry queue overnighting like this.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

• Back