Caravan & Motorhome maker (Swift UK) announces up to 175 job losses (5 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Just back from Caravan Salon. The 4 main manufacturers in the Premium Hall including Morello and Concorde ALL had a very good show and exceeded their expectations and quota targets. They say that some manufacturers, especially of van conversions, were struggling and had poor years sales. Concorde said that they came into the show feeling quite nervous and half expected a much tougher year, but were very pleased with the result.

Must be plenty of money about at the upper end of the market?

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Just back from Caravan Salon. The 4 main manufacturers in the Premium Hall including Morello and Concorde ALL had a very good show and exceeded their expectations and quota targets. They say that some manufacturers, especially of van conversions, were struggling and had poor years sales. Concorde said that they came into the show feeling quite nervous and half expected a much tougher year, but were very pleased with the result.

There always is, cost of living crisis doesn’t exist for their target group, will never happen 🤷🏻‍♂️

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Both Swift & Bailey are struggling to shift units and have slowed production. There's a certain company in Grimsby who are expanding & building a third production line. All 3 will be for their own brand as the PVC's for Benimar, Roller Team & Chausson have now moved to Trigano's dedicated panel van site.

I'd certainly drop them a CV.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Both Swift & Bailey are struggling to shift units and have slowed production. There's a certain company in Grimsby who are expanding & building a third production line. All 3 will be for their own brand as the PVC's for Benimar, Roller Team & Chausson have now moved to Trigano's dedicated panel van site.

I'd certainly drop them a CV.
If they can take over a firm with questionable reputation for water leaks etc and turn it around it sort of proves that management and design are big factors in the failure of a lot our industry

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

Every manufacturer jumped into the van conversion market. Which is more difficult because converting panel vans takes longer than building furniture on a coachbult chassis then fixing walls and roof. I wonder how many PVCs the new entrants needed to shift to break even.

After Hymer, who will be next to be bought up by the Americans? Knaus-Tabbert group possibly?

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
If they can take over a firm with questionable reputation for water leaks etc and turn it around it sort of proves that management and design are big factors in the failure of a lot our industry
Maybe one of the issues facing Bailey is that their motorhomes are not built under one roof, not even at the same location. The coachbuilt homologation is transported over distance to a secondary location where the chassis cabs live. There's countless reports and insurance claims for the rear panels of both caravans & motorhomes basically falling off.

Elddis have some similar issues with their SoLiD design - So Loose it Detaches.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
It’s not just recent the quality has been poor about 20 years ago bought a twin axel caravan at Birmingham show it arrived in December sat on drive until we went away for a week end in march set up an an hour later it started raining very lightly a short while later Denise went to the toilet and called me in and showed me that half the toilet and shower area wall had water running down it .Denise took the criss no and the dealer sent his chief engineer out to look at it and his damp meter went of the scale and asked if it was anywhere else we said don’t know but want a new van. When we took it back Denise gave the owner a letter saying we did not want the van back but a new one.
Swift repaired it and sent it back but the owner said don’t take it off a I can’t sell it and the customer won’t accept it . Took 6 months to get a new one looked inside and opened a cupboard door and one of the hinges fell off .
We sold it and bought a hymer

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Let's face it the obstacle in UK... and it's unique to us, is brand snobbery. No other country is badge obsessed and we're exploited for it.
Over 70% of what goes into constructing a motorhome & RV from any of the 5 groups who build them is fabricated in China.

You could put a German brand name on a turd and us Brits would pay through the nose for it.

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Because they take a longer term view.
Yep look at our railways , it’s a shambles of the biggest order , the rest of Europe is full of high speed railways and has been for decades, here we don’t even manage to get them electrified, big talk about banning ice cars but still relying on mass polluting slow diesel trains, some of them entering or nearing clean air zones, it’s laughable and sad at the same time……

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Let's face it the obstacle in UK... and it's unique to us, is brand snobbery. No other country is badge obsessed and we're exploited for it.
Over 70% of what goes into constructing a motorhome & RV from any of the 5 groups who build them is fabricated in China.

You could put a German brand name on a turd and us Brits would pay through the nose for it.
That clearly isn't true or no one would buy eldiss, swift, Bailey etc . And no one would buy skoda, kia etc.

And the supermarkets wouldn't sell any of their own brand products.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

I think you are correct to a point but I am sure that is not the only reason we bought a N+B or Morelo over a Swift or Autotrail.

I don't agree though with your 70% figure, I assume you discounted the chassis in that figure we even still, Alde is made in Sweden, Dometic Fridges Thailand, Thetford fridges the Netherlands, E&P or any other hydraulic levelling the Netherlands, the glass on our van comes from Turkey etc etc, I am sure there are products in that list that have components from China and of course other smaller parts that I have not looked at will be Chinese.

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
That clearly isn't true or no one would buy eldiss, swift, Bailey etc . And no one would buy skoda, kia etc.

Come to think of it, a family member of mine who lives in Belgium has decided that after a lifetime of buying luxury German caravans he wanted to try something new, he just bought a rather expensive Sprite 😱😱😱🥶

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
How many German motorhomers do you know who bought a cheap swift instead of something German, everyone likes cheap but quality first👍
Just a different way of doing things .

Pay more for the important stuff and everything else buy it cheaper.

Much the Same as myself , I'd rather buy a quality older vehicle whether it was motorhomes or cars. But when it comes to food shopping, clothes shopping etc then I'm not one to splash out on brand names

I think the UK is more age related than quality related ... I think we've allowed ourselves to be manipulated in always replacing things and everything must be new . New cars , new sofas, new kitchens every 2 or 3 years.

So as a result manufacturers don't bother making things to last. And governments push that agenda , replace cars , windows , kitchens , boilers blah blah blah

Only now they use the environment as an excuse and people fall for it hook line and sinker

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yep look at our railways , it’s a shambles of the biggest order , the rest of Europe is full of high speed railways and has been for decades, here we don’t even manage to get them electrified, big talk about banning ice cars but still relying on mass polluting slow diesel trains, some of them entering or nearing clean air zones, it’s laughable and sad at the same time……
Because the owners want maximum profit for minimum investment.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

One of the things I noticed when touring in France this summer how few and far between Audis on French plates are.

Plenty of brand new Peugeots, Citroens etc.

In the UK I see dozens of Audis (new and old) on the roads every time I drive. Including the S3 (drug dealer favourite), S4 and S6 rockets. More than cheaper equivalent VWs, Skodas, and Seats (although the Cupras do seem to have a growing following among the boy racers). You do see more Skodas with taxi plates.

Badge snobbery.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back