Caravan & Motorhome maker (Swift UK) announces up to 175 job losses (10 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
They're just down the road from me and have a massive site, I have a suspicion that they likely have some plans to sell some of the site for housing as it would have quite a bit of value and the likelihood is that they'd get permission as it would be a brown field site. There have been some new developments a little way down from them on the opposite side of the road.

Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
They're just down the road from me and have a massive site, I have a suspicion that they likely have some plans to sell some of the site for housing as it would have quite a bit of value and the likelihood is that they'd get permission as it would be a brown field site. There have been some new developments a little way down from them on the opposite side of the road.

How long will the money from the sale of land subsidise the poor build quality.

Was recently in a caravan dealer and, while in multiple vans, totally unimpressed with build and finish.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Just come back from Hull area.
Passed Maple leisure a few times and their hard was awash with new campervan and I think they had caravans as well.
Too expensive couples with hard times for most ordinary folk.?
Happy Jack.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Wonder which of the things they produce are seeing the biggest downturn. There's another couple of static caravan manufacturers that have already had redundancies.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I think you're right about talking ourselves into it I'm not convinced there really is a cost of living crisis for most people
It would be better if Starmer was a bit more positive, or if he can't be positive then a 'we will pull through together' narrative might be less unsettling.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It would be better if Starmer was a bit more positive, or if he can't be positive then a 'we will pull through together' narrative might be less unsettling.
I'd sooner he was honest than tried that sort of bluster we had all that with Boris. The we all need to pull together was just an excuse to avoid questions and silence criticism

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
But he needs to blame the previous govt for everything. He's running out of envelopes though.*

*Starting a new job John found 3 envelopes in his desk drawer marked " get out of trouble 1,2and 3. Open when needed." As it always will things went pear shaped and he opened envelope 1. It said "blame me". A few weeks later and another serious issue arose so envelope 2 was opened "you are pushing it but blame me again". John then needed to open the third envelope and the advice was "prepare 3 envelopes".......

Oct 31, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Carthago T149
Exp
Since 2016
Its a shame Swift are finding it a "challenging and difficult trading period", with the two new Swift vans we bought I found both of them "challening and difficult" to own so perhaps karma is present 😀

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Wouldn’t surprise me if they would fold all together, so better start class actions now🤷🏻‍♂️

Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
I had two twin axle tourers back in the day, first one for twelve months, then made the error of ordering new at the show, what an absolute bag of nails, they wouldn’t pick it up from my house to take for all the warranty work so traped back to the dealers.
After picking it back up, noticed the side had been partially re sprayed, they denied all knowledge of it, took months to get an answer of what had been done, traded it 6 months later for a vanmaster,

They were obstructing, sometimes rude and complete liars, their aftersales not interested in the slightest.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Used to be reasonable quality. All I seem to see now are Baileys.
My neighbour's twin axle Bailey is a pile of crap too. On his way through Hawick last year, there was an ambulance parked awkwardly on a call and he had to mount the kerb to get past. Later that day, he went to get something from a front overhead locker and it was full of water. Driving up the kerb was enough to crack the top of the front section of the van which is a one piece vacuum formed (?) piece of thin plastic. A quick visit to the Bailey Owner's Club website and he found he wasn't alone !
When we stripped out the interior, you could see how shoddy the build was. I've seen thicker and stronger pieces of wood used as the sticks on bottle rockets !
The window reveals on the front moulding were stretched that thin, they were translucent !
He had a mobile caravan repairer come out to it who reinforced the area with glass fibre (did the other side too just in case) and replaced the water stained wall boards too.
All in all, it's a piss poor build, even though they made a big play of "No water ingress due to the SoLid construction"

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
When we stripped out the interior, you could see how shoddy the build was. I've seen thicker and stronger pieces of wood used as the sticks on bottle rockets !
The window reveals on the front moulding were stretched that thin, they were translucent !
So no longer this strong?

f84191cfe1a2153e6b04780afc6f8a37.jpg

Wonder how long ago that was?

Remember they also made a big thing about being the only manufacturer to do actual crash testing.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Two wheel job towed.
Exp
Since 2004
Others may well find it necessary to follow Swift and tighten their belts, immediately following covid leisure vehicle sales were good but following a high there will no doubt be a drop in sales now that holidays abroad are back to normal.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
So no longer this strong?

f84191cfe1a2153e6b04780afc6f8a37.jpg

Wonder how long ago that was?

Remember they also made a big thing about being the only manufacturer to do actual crash testing.
It's got blacked out windows so you can't see the four Acro Props inside, but you can see the extra wooden supports for them under the front ! :LOL:

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Yep, you're right, Bailey are Alu-Tec it seems, a similar "no wood" construction. Brain fart on my part !
My daughter's Elldis was SoLid but it still had square wooden corners covered by curved grp which cracked on all corners due to the stress of being wrapped around the square wood.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
At least one Continental manufacturer is looking to expand production at their new factory by 30% this year. They are certainly not undercutting UK manufacturers on price but they do have a reputation for good quality. When people are spending their children’s inheritance they seem prepared to spend a bit more for quality and appear to be avoiding purchases with poorer reputations.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I'd sooner he was honest than tried that sort of bluster we had all that with Boris. The we all need to pull together was just an excuse to avoid questions and silence criticism
Imho People tend to better with a bit of inspiration. Yes Boris had his faults but Starmer is just irritating.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back