Caravan clubs, are they worth it and which one to join!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Just Purchased
Been doing some research and just wondered what everyone's thoughts are on joining a Caravan Club and which one is best?

Appreciate any feedback

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Of the two biggest clubs CCC are quite a bit cheaper for club sites and offer discounts for over 60's, CAMC have better facilities but are more expensive, i'm in both clubs so I can pick the one nearest to where I want to be.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
I would suggest looking at privately owned sites and Aires in your chosen areas before joining either. It really depends on how you like to park up and what facilities are important to you.

hja

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
We are in both CCC and CAMC. CAMC have more CLs than CCC have CSs. Being in both definitely gives us more choice and we are more likely to find the sort of site we like where we want it. For a combined price of just over £100 try it for a year, really explore their offerings and then make a decision. We get our Green Flag UK car and van recovery through CAMC.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil Terrestra
Exp
Since 2004
We used to be in both but left the Unfriendly after three rallies where we were largely ignored as in a motorhome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Asked recently with 30+ opinions (the Fun 'Search' facility should be included when researching :wink:)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2002
Membership of either/both of the two big clubs can bring you discounts on a wide range of purchases from ferries to insurances to MH accessories so, depending on your purchases, you can recoup some or even all of the membership costs.

Personally, we find the CCC a little less formal and rule-driven. Apart from their permanent sites, they also organise temporary holiday sites and other meets throughout the year, mostly at low cost if you are happy to be without EHU and to use your own facilities. That includes an active Motor Caravan Section.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2019
We're in both, you get good ferry discounts with both. CAMC sites are always up to a good standard with decent facilities. CCC sites are not always up to the same high standards with some in need of modernisation.
It all depends on what floats your boat, some people just use their membership to gain access to the cheaper CLs which have very basic facilities.
Try both for a year then renew or not next year

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We are in both CCC and CAMC. CAMC have more CLs than CCC have CSs. Being in both definitely gives us more choice and we are more likely to find the sort of site we like where we want it. For a combined price of just over £100 try it for a year, really explore their offerings and then make a decision. We get our Green Flag UK car and van recovery through CAMC.

When I lived in UK and had just bought a MH I joined both and except for 2 nights away as a shake down to know the MH I think I only went on one CCC site and no CAMV, so I did not renew. We do not use site facilities wherever we are.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
We use a mix of Pitchup Google Maps and Tripadvisor.
Have been members of both clubs in the past but rarely used them so didn’t renew.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Used to be in both but now just the Camping Club although my home insurance is with the Caravan Club as they give me 90 days unoccupied, I will have to rejoin again if I wish to renew the insurance.
The Camping Club is useful for the THS sites and I will be helping out on the Porthmadog one in August so if anyone is thinking of using it then please arrive on one of my days off.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Each to their own.

We tried both
Ended up with the C&MHC only.

But in reality only use for a few nights each year, but it good to have options

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I left the CAMC this year but rejoined on finding the Ferry saving!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Used to be in both. Used to stop off at the CCC site at Moffat on our way to and from the Highlands from Wales twice a year. Then they introduced a 2 night minimum stay at most of their club sites in summer which meant using 4 days of our week's trip at Moffat. Although we loved the town of Moffat we simply couldn't use so much of our precious holidays there. No idea if this policy is still active, it just didn't suit our touring style. ;)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
No one mentioned the Temporary Holiday Sites the C&CC organise.

Excellent value.

Dave7

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner
We joined CAMC this year and have been pleased with their sites and will rejoin next get

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Belong to both.

• Convenience of searching and booking online.
  • Known standard - facilities will be OK to excellent.
  • We know the rules, conditions, arrival and checkout times without having to search for them.

Shrimp

Funster
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We were in both the big clubs but dropped the CAMH as too expensive membership and sites.
We stayed with C&CC, like their CS places and the THSs, also it’s cheaper than the other (with the age concession) and you can get the monthly mag online, which suits us

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
We are in both, manly for the CS and cl sites. We prefer small sites often with only a tap and CDP although with the lack of sun this year we have taken ehu

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
The CMHC Keep reducing deposits and extending site offers which indicates that they are having trouble filling sites out of school holidays. They have a good selection of CL s but manny of their sites are in the middle of nowhere no access to pubs or restaurants. Lately we have been using pub stopovers which works well for us being self contained.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We are now only members of C&CC for the DA rallies and THS.
What are the THS sites like this year? I let my membership lapse because lots were getting cancelled and they were the only thing I used.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
What are the THS sites like this year? I let my membership lapse because lots were getting cancelled and they were the only thing I used.
Apart from weather related cancellations all going ahead as far as I know.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
so.. what was the conclusion ? which of the 2 is cheaper and by how much ? i will be with one of them if only for the chunnel discounts

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
CCC is cheaper, especially if you're over 60.
can you give me an idea HOW much cheaper,and yes dammit i dont even remember being 60.. :unsure:

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
can you give me an idea HOW much cheaper,and yes dammit i dont even remember being 60.. :unsure:
Just do some dummy bookings but C&CC Zhave a lot more discount including over 60 so look for them plus THS and rallies in out and about. Currently on THS 1km from sea at £14

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Okay, i'm currently at CCC Mablethorpe, single occupant, grass no electric, with discounts that are available at this site £136 for two weeks, CCC Walton upon Thames end of June for two weeks with discounts £60 there are no facilities at this site other then grey and black dump and fresh water, hence the price.

CAMC Littlehampton two weeks early June, no discounts available, grass with electric (no non electric pitches at this site) £299.

Generally CAMC club sites have better showers and slightly larger pitches if you book an awning pitch, CAMC subs are about £10/year dearer from memory. As I said in a previous post I am a member of both clubs so I can pick one the nearest to where I want to be.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back