Caracompact Mb 640 Meg Pepper (1 Viewer)

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
Having started our motorhoming with a large C class, Autotail Dakota, then downsized to a PVC when I became disabled. We needed something I found easier to move about in and which Mrs Norfolk was happy to drive. We have now reached the stage everyone tells you when you start out. It takes at least three vans before you find the right one for you.
I have now regained a lot of mobility and need something with more space to move around in, we still want the compactness on the outside of a PVC though. We came across the Hymer ML T a compact narrow coachbuilt, which seemed to tick the boxes for what we wanted. Only thing was that from a starting price of around £86k, by the time you put the options which we would need on it the price was nearer £120k and the wait at the moment is into 2024. We then happened to come across the Weinsberg CaraCompact which had pretty much the same spec and layout as the Hymer. It’s on the Merc chassis with the 170hp engine and 9 speed auto. It’s left the factory and on the way to the dealers. It has already been spec’d with all the extras we would want, oven, solar, LPG, carpets etc. And it’s just over £80k, that’s around £40k less than the Hymer.
I have read a fair few reviews and they are all positive. It’s said to be well built with quality materials. Does anyone on here own one, and have any comments about them. We have put a deposit down and are viewing it next week to really confirm, but views of funsters with experience of them would be appreciated.

Jan 19, 2008
Wetherby
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Carcompact
Exp
We took delivery of ours in September this year and only used a few times since them. It is well built and well equipped for a compact coacbuilt. Space is at a premium but you'd expect that anyway but it has everything you need. Build quality is top notch with no squeaks or rattles at all. It really is nice and quiet to drive.
The Mercedes chassis is a gem and is night and day compared to our previous 21Transit based Chausson, the gear box is a peach, the handling superb and typically German - sure footed and compliant. The only gripe I have is the front seat armrests that clash with the cab doors, can be fiddly to spin around and the seat belts are easily tangled - but im getting used to it now.
If you need any more info just drop me a PM.

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
Nice looking van but my only concern would be that if you are looking for a "compact" van the width appears to be 2.3m, which isn't really much less than a standard coachbuilt. (Our Adria compact for example is only 2.12m wide).

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Can’t help with direct experience of the CaraCompact but I’ve owned a CaraBus for 4+ years and, while not perfect, overall I’m happy with the quality. As I’m sure you know it’s basically a Knaus. When I was looking the main advantage with Weinsberg compared to the competition was the inclusive high spec, particularly so with the special editions like ‘Fire’ and ‘Pepper’ - good value. Are you using Premium Motorhomes?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Norfolk Nige

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Thanks ontheroadagain and seasideBill . We are using SMC. They sold us our current Autosleeper Kingham and have been excellent with their after sales service when we had to have a couple of faults sorted. They are offering a good trade in so it’s looking positive all round.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Forgot to say the link is for a compact one as it's the Van model.

OP
OP
Norfolk Nige

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I believe the Cara ones are meant to be their entry level, or they were when they first came out. If you've visited SMC you will no doubt have looked in a Knaus so possibly seen the difference in them.

OP
OP
Norfolk Nige

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
I believe the Cara ones are meant to be their entry level, or they were when they first came out. If you've visited SMC you will no doubt have looked in a Knaus so possibly seen the difference in them.
I think they were, although the Pepper edition seems to be really spec’d up wit all the extras included. For a Merc Chassis with the 170 engine and auto it does look good value.

OP
OP
Norfolk Nige

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Well we have gone and done it.
Drove from Norfolk to SMC in Newark today to look at the Cara Compact. We also looked at the Knaus which you could not get before 2024.
The build of the Weinsberg was superb, well equipped and available early 2023. Certainly not an entry level van. That with the trade in plus the fact Mrs Norfolk won free 5G WiFi fitted to it in the SMC give away swayed it for me.
Deposit paid and ready for the next adventures

OP
OP
Norfolk Nige

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Update. Great news. Had a call from SMC today. Handover date arranged 15th February. Woohoo. Then just need to get it booked in to have hand controls fitted so I can drive it😀. Happy days

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Update. Great news. Had a call from SMC today. Handover date arranged 15th February. Woohoo. Then just need to get it booked in to have hand controls fitted so I can drive it😀. Happy days

Great news, just in time for Spring! If you see a Weinsberg Carabus Fire on your travels it might be us, I’ve yet to see one in the UK. I quite like the idea of the Compact as our next van, a bit more space might be useful as we transition to oldies!

OP
OP
Norfolk Nige

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Great news, just in time for Spring! If you see a Weinsberg Carabus Fire on your travels it might be us, I’ve yet to see one in the UK. I quite like the idea of the Compact as our next van, a bit more space might be useful as we transition to oldies!
seasideBill I’ll make sure I wave😀. The additional space was one of the reasons for us to move from a PVC now I can move about more. The separate dining, kitchen and fixed bed areas were what we felt we need.

OP
OP
Norfolk Nige

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Well the big day arrived yesterday. Drove up to Newark in the Autosleeper to part ex it. Came back as a passenger in this beauty. Just need to get the hand controls fitted now and the world will be my Oyster again. Great service and handover again from SMC Motorhomes.

18BE3168-CB59-40B7-B6E0-710BCB6187D5.jpeg
322B65CF-5FDA-47BA-A8CB-1B332A74C48D.jpeg

Jan 31, 2022
Funster No
MH
70s camper,Weinsberg
Well the big day arrived yesterday. Drove up to Newark in the Autosleeper to part ex it. Came back as a passenger in this beauty. Just need to get the hand controls fitted now and the world will be my Oyster again. Great service and handover again from SMC Motorhomes.

View attachment 717265View attachment 717266
Nice van but I would say that as I am biased. Had ours nearly 18 months are you happy with yours.

OP
OP
Norfolk Nige

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Nice van but I would say that as I am biased. Had ours nearly 18 months are you happy with yours.
we Are very happy with it. Well built, layout is just right for us and it is a joy to drive. This one is a keeper. An added bonus is I have found a Weinsberg caravan dealership in Norfolk who can do the habitation service so I don’t have to do a 200 mile round trip to have that done.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022
Funster No
MH
70s camper,Weinsberg
we Are very happy with it. Well built, layout is just right for us and it is a joy to drive. This one is a keeper. An added bonus is I have found a Weinsberg caravan dealership in Norfolk who can do the habitation service so I don’t have to do a 200 mile round trip to have that done.
Yes Beez are really good did ours, family outfit and they are doing warranty work too. Enjoy if its a keeper would honestly get it ceramic coated as it seals logos on the side too plus its a breeze to clean.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back