• Well done, you found us. THIS IS THE NEW SERVER

Canon Printer MG5750 firmware upgrade! (1 Viewer)

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Printer had been asking me to carry out this upgrade ver 2.060.
The effect of which seems to stop me printing direct from my Android phone and even worse I am faily sure, to stop me using compatible cartidges- if you have seen the price of genuine ones £72 a set!
The printer was doing everything I needed up till then
All I can do is restrict printing to B/W only.
Technology- who would have it?
Mike

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Have you got a copy of the previous firmware on your computer? If you have or you can find one on the internet, it may be possible to rollback the change to the previous version of the firmware.
A quick search online showed that this version probably does block compatible ink supplies and also turns off google cloud printing (which I presume allowed the printing from your phone)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I feel your pain Mike800966
A recent windows 10 update completely killed Wi Fi networking to my Brother MFC all in one office LaserJet printer, copier & Scanner.
It took days of removing existing drivers, then re-loading them and still it would not work. I had just purchased a new Toner cartridge set at £120, plus a new Drum £80, and it just sat there awaiting a data signal from any linked devices.
NADA!
Thanks to a Funster, who pointed out the problem with the windows update, and how to delete it, I managed to get the printer back on line....Phew that saved me some dosh.😰

Microsoft apologised eventually, and admitted it takes them time to lease with all the printer manufacturers regarding installed/acceptable drivers.
No doubt it will happen again as it has in the past, but its always when I need to do some important work, everyone these days assumes you can scan docs and send them.:rolleyes:

I hope you find a resolve soon, but I agree with dna the Google Cloud problem and using a mobile phone, I try and only use a desktop or laptop, as smart phones drive me crazy.
LES

OP
OP
Mike800966
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
I haven't had any luck with "a quick search online" but your comment might confirm my suspicion. Anyway tomorrow should see a delivery of fresh compatible cartridges, one of mine had run out- possibly two on the afternoon of the update. To much of a confidence.
Anyway should know more by tomorrow night.
Horrified that genuine Canon are £72 a set.

Mike

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Thats the price for an Inkjet set I take it?
If you had a Lasor Printer like mine, a Brother MFC then Brother Toner Cartridges then its £69 for just the black one, plus the other colours needed, so its always a hard decision on a printer, scanner, copier that you can buy for £500.00.
Fortunately, I have had success in buying compatible toner cartridges at £35 each, but its still expensive and 3000 copies as they quote:unsure:, soon comes arround.
I hope you can get your printer back on line soon, its always a pain when they go offline.
LES

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
I haven't had any luck with "a quick search online" but your comment might confirm my suspicion. Anyway tomorrow should see a delivery of fresh compatible cartridges, one of mine had run out- possibly two on the afternoon of the update. To much of a confidence.
Anyway should know more by tomorrow night.
Horrified that genuine Canon are £72 a set.

Mike

Sorry Mike I was in a rush at the time so only did a simple search and dashed off a response to try and help - the "quick" was referring to me rushing!

Mention of google printing being stopped is at https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4697356 which also mentioned the possibility of the compatible cartridges being blocked. Confirmation on the cloud printing is on the canon site at https://www.canon.co.uk/support/con...d=tcm:14-2043066&productTcmUri=tcm:14-1294781

I havent found anything definitive about the cartridges. The canon websites are very coy on the contents of firmware changes - almost as if they had something to hide!

Fingers crossed your new cartridges solve your problem

OP
OP
Mike800966
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Thanks all, Good News! The fresh set of compatible cartridges are working, thank goodness, so Canon havent (yet) locked out that option. They did admit to removing the Google print option so will have to go back to bluetooth or emailing stuff to the pc for printing.
Apologies to Canon if I jumped to the wrong conclusion but apparently, it is not unknown for Other Manufacturers to do such things.
Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back