Can yow refill Gaslight containers at an LPG pump? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 25, 2022
Newington, Sittingbourne, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
July 2022
Over the last few months I've moved from the traditional steel Propane containers to twin Gaslight containers. I get significantly more gas without any increase in payload. Result! However, I've recently seen adverts for the Safefill containers which you can refill at LPG forecourt pumps. As they are significantly more expensive (about £200) than renting Gaslight bottles, I'm wondering if you can buy adaptors to refill Gaslight yourself?

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Do you mean the lightweight alloy tanks? If they are not registered as refillable then no you can't self fill. Despite fleabay and wish selling adaptors.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Over the last few months I've moved from the traditional steel Propane containers to twin Gaslight containers. I get significantly more gas without any increase in payload. Result! However, I've recently seen adverts for the Safefill containers which you can refill at LPG forecourt pumps. As they are significantly more expensive (about £200) than renting Gaslight bottles, I'm wondering if you can buy adaptors to refill Gaslight yourself?

If these are the Gaslight containers that you are refering too, then they not for refilling by the public and are to be returned for exchange as you would for a Calor or Flogas cylinders.

1720607117611.png

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
No it is dangerous. The Safefill ones have an 80% cut off valve which is why they cost more. Without the cut off valve you could overfill the bottle. Someone recently ended up in hospital, destroyed their motorhome and damaged a Morrisons fuel station, it was reported they were filling the wrong type of cylinder.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Not legally.

And even if you can, please do it away from any other people or housing.

If you want refillable, then buy refillables.
Refillable bottles are designed to stop filling at 80% full so that they don't explode.

Non-refillables are filled at a factory where the pressure is monitored at the filling end not the bottle end.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Not legally.

And even if you can, please do it away from any other people or housing.

If you want refillable, then buy refillables.
Refillable bottles are designed to stop filling at 80% full so that they don't explode.

Non-refillables are filled at a factory where the pressure is monitored at the filling end not the bottle end.
Even with "refillable" bottles, unless plumbed into a dedicated filler point a lot of garages have "No bottles to be filled".signs...

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Even with "refillable" bottles, unless plumbed into a dedicated filler point a lot of garages have "No bottles to be filled".signs...
A number of reasons:

Not unreasonably, you can't trust the general public, there are some amazingly dangerous bodge jobs out there.
It's not beyond the ability of anyone with a spanner and an ebay account to convert any gas bottle into a refillable.
Most (all???) of the reported gas explosions caused by public refilling LPG have been due to either dodgy installs or expired parts.

LPG for domestic use is taxed at a different rate to LPG autogas.
So you are overpaying to fill at a fuel station (Not that anyone cares)

LPG can and does burn skin if not used properly.
You should always wear thick gloves when filling.
My BBQ gloves live in the LPG locker.
Where are yours ?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back