Can you SORN MH when using vehicle abroad?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
Hi,
Might be a daft question but can you SORN you MH when travelling abroad for a number of months. Surely your insurance would be independent?
Thoughts please?
Ta

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I heard that some vans were sorned when on long term overwinter campsites in Spain, but not sure if Insurance is still valid. For insurance to be valid whilst driving anywhere in the EU the vehicle must be taxed. (y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If you were stopped by the police abroad then how would they know as they don’t have access to the DVLA database?

It shows up here :

I put in details of a vehicle I know to be under SORN and the SORN showed up on the database.

If the vehicle is involved in a accident or under suspicion I am sure the authorities in any country would check it was legal.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I heard that some vans were sorned when on long term overwinter campsites in Spain, but not sure if Insurance is still valid. For insurance to be valid whilst driving anywhere in the EU the vehicle must be taxed. (y)
And MOT’d

MikeD

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
You don't need access to DVLA to check the road fund licence status on a UK vehicle.

Anyone can do it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

glenn2926

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Might not be a bad idea if staying on one site for a couple of months. I wouldn’t bother myself because I do sometimes get up one morning and decide to move on.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
If you were stopped by the police abroad then how would they know as they don’t have access to the DVLA database?
I suppose you could risk it but if you had a bump and involved insurance, you would be on your own as it were, including breakdown cover. Could be expensive road tax. (y)

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
Oh but they do! Anyone can search for a vehicle on the DVLA site and tell you its tax and MOT status, used it myself when abroad to check son had re-taxed his car.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Might not be a bad idea if staying on one site for a couple of months. I wouldn’t bother myself because I do sometimes get up one morning and decide to move on.

But if someone bumped you and then disappeared would you have a clain if the vehicle was sorned? I sort of remember that the vehicle has to be in the UK to have a valid SORN but don't know where I dredged that from and I may well be wrong.

OP
OP
Toady
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
Whilst I note your views and agree regarding insurance and MOT I cannot see how the vehicle would be unlawful if it was SORN but used on a foreign highway?

The police on the continent would not prosecute for no tax?

All points noted. I will look into this with DVLA and insurance company. Sometimes we are programmed to just pay our taxes.

OP
OP
Toady
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
PS If you SORNed your vehicle and was abroad then the DVLA would not know if your vehicle was on your drive or abroad?

glenn2926

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Whilst I note your views and agree regarding insurance and MOT I cannot see how the vehicle would be unlawful if it was SORN but used on a foreign highway?

The police on the continent would not prosecute for no tax?

All points noted. I will look into this with DVLA and insurance company. Sometimes we are programmed to just pay our taxes.
It would be great to find out we can sorn when abroad. Please let us know when you find out.

• Funny
Reactions: DBK

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I read the regs as the vehicle has to be legal and on the road in the home country to be legal in the country visited. I may be wrong.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I couldn’t be bothered really. It’s only £165.
That's if over 3.5t....but that for year... OP said for several months so it would be much less.... come on is it really worth it to save such a small ammount even if you under 3.5t and saving a fraction of £265

MikeD

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
But if someone bumped you and then disappeared would you have a clain if the vehicle was sorned? I sort of remember that the vehicle has to be in the UK to have a valid SORN but don't know where I dredged that from and I may well be wrong.

For SORN to be valid the vehicle must be in the UK.

Copy/paste from DVLA website.

Your vehicle must stay in the UK for your SORN to be valid.

UK law still applies to a UK-registered vehicle if you take it abroad for less than 12 months. That means you need to make sure:

• your vehicle is taxed in the UK while it’s abroad
  • you have a current MOT
  • you have insurance
You’ll also need to make sure you meet any international or national conditions for licensing and taxation.

OP
OP
Toady
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017

UK law still applies to a UK-registered vehicle if you take it abroad for less than 12 months. That means you need to make sure:

• you have a current MOT
  • you have insurance
You’ll also need to make sure you meet any international or national conditions for licensing and taxation.

Thanks Mike

SandraL

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
In the days of tax discs we were stopped in spain. The policeman knew all about tax discs and walked over to check before inspecting mot, v5 and insurance.
No idea what would have happened if out of date.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp

• you have a current MOT
  • you have insurance

End of discussion :)

Nice to know I retained the information if not the source! I must have looked it up when sister-in-law and her husband were going to Italy and they said they would SORN their car when they were in Italy. Their Italian based estate agent told them to do this ....... mind he also told them they could get an MOT in Italy and she and I had a major row when I said that wasn't right.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp

Don't kid yourself, the police are always pulling vehicles here, and they are good at handing out fines, non residents are taken to the bank to pay, if the vehicle has no mot it's taken to a compound and storage charged until such time you have organised a transporter to take it back to the country of residence, all vehicles in Spain have insurance it's compulsory. 🤔 Bob.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I found this on Google:

Vehicle registration and licensing in the UK is governed by the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 (VERA) and the Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2002. By law, any vehicle that is registered under the Act and which is used or kept on the public road, must be correctly licensed.

Any UK registered vehicle taken abroad temporarily remains subject to UK law. Therefore, the registered keeper must ensure that the vehicle is continually licensed whilst being used overseas.

Legislation specifies that a SORN is only valid if the vehicle is kept off road within the UK. This means that vehicle has to remain in the UK in order to comply with the requirements of the scheme. Consequently, SORN cannot made if the vehicle is taken out of the UK.

It is the registered keeper’s responsibility to ensure that their vehicle is continuously taxed or declared SORN. Failure to do this may result in penalties and court prosecutions being issued.

Details on how to tax your vehicle can found online at https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax

The DVLA cannot comment on MOT, this is a question for the Driving Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).

Yours sincerely,

David A Morgan
Freedom of Information Team
Data Sharing & Protection Group | Strategy, Policy and Communications Group | D16 | DVLA | Swansea | SA6 7JL

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
It always amazes me that people want to save a couple of quid and have zero understanding of the legal situation. You see police officers checking details of vehicles parked on aires or on rough ground to check their legal status. It takes a few clicks on their handheld tablet, to see MOT, Insurance, tax status along with any outstanding fines. And they don't mess about and give you any chance to not pay up immediately. If you are not with the van, they send the fine to the registered keepers address giving a few days to pay or it rockets up in cost. Plenty of motorhome owners have found out the hard way

The laws are not there to be avoided or ignored

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Why as not in UK?
Because the Motor Vehicles (International Circulation) Order 1975 allows any vehicle registered in one of the signatory states to "circulate freely" in any other sognatory staste provided it is correctly licensed in its own State.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back