Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
or a modern equivalent.
It is in relation to my other ongoing spaghetti electrics post here
but I thought I'd get more views with the individual title on this query.

The step doesnt retract automatically as standard but does alert with a buzzer, the switch only has 4 spade connecters on the back and I can only seem to find 5 pin ones
similar to the pro 200 or this one with 5 pins, https://eshartleyleisurespares.co.uk/product/step-rocker-switch/

or can I use a 5 pin switch and just connect using 4?
Thanks for any info

rocker switch.jpg
rocker switch.jpg

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I have found you a 4 pin rocker, but it's a bit on the pricey side and maybe of Italian manufacture.

OP
OP
Tombola

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I have found you a 4 pin rocker, but it's a bit on the pricey side and maybe of Italian manufacture.

well well well,
I searched the image you posted and it linked me an identical switch image here on MHF too
thanks

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Possibly the extra pin may be for it illumination

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
CBE do several versions of a step switch, and there are diagrams for each version here. Other switches are similar.

The first one, for example, is a 5-terminal switch, which can be used as a 4-terminal switch if two of the terminals are connected together (2 and 5 in this example). The question is, how do you identify the terminals? Use a meter to check for continuity between the terminals.

With the switch in the OFF position, one terminal is not connected to any of the others. That is the positive supply - let's call it terminal A.
Two pairs of terminals will be connected together. If we call them B, C, D and E, then B and C are connected, D and E are connected, but there is no connection between the two pairs.

With the switch in the CLOSED (retract) position, one pair will remain unchanged, but one of the other pair will disconnect from the other and connect to the positive supply terminal A. The one that changes is a motor terminal, The one that is disconnected from is the negative supply.

With the switch in the OPEN (extend) position, a similar thing will happen to the other pair. one terminal will disconnect from the other and connect to the positive supply A,and that is the other motor terminal. The one that is disconnected is a second negative supply terminal.

So now you have the positive supply, two negative supplies, and two motor terminals. So wire up the switch and give it a try. If it does the opposite of what you want (extends in the CLOSED position, retracts in the OPEN position), simply reverse the two motor terminals.

The 5-terminal switch can be used in an automatic retraction setup. If you don't want that, just common the two negative terminals together and treat it as one terminal. It will then behave like a 4-terminal switch.

OP
OP
Tombola

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
CBE do several versions of a step switch, and there are diagrams for each version here. Other switches are similar.

The first one, for example, is a 5-terminal switch, which can be used as a 4-terminal switch if two of the terminals are connected together (2 and 5 in this example). The question is, how do you identify the terminals? Use a meter to check for continuity between the terminals.

With the switch in the OFF position, one terminal is not connected to any of the others. That is the positive supply - let's call it terminal A.
Two pairs of terminals will be connected together. If we call them B, C, D and E, then B and C are connected, D and E are connected, but there is no connection between the two pairs.

With the switch in the CLOSED (retract) position, one pair will remain unchanged, but one of the other pair will disconnect from the other and connect to the positive supply terminal A. The one that changes is a motor terminal, The one that is disconnected from is the negative supply.

With the switch in the OPEN (extend) position, a similar thing will happen to the other pair. one terminal will disconnect from the other and connect to the positive supply A,and that is the other motor terminal. The one that is disconnected is a second negative supply terminal.

So now you have the positive supply, two negative supplies, and two motor terminals. So wire up the switch and give it a try. If it does the opposite of what you want (extends in the CLOSED position, retracts in the OPEN position), simply reverse the two motor terminals.

The 5-terminal switch can be used in an automatic retraction setup. If you don't want that, just common the two negative terminals together and treat it as one terminal. It will then behave like a 4-terminal switch.
Great thanks again

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back