Can’t Fit Semi-Air Suspension on 2022 Ducato (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E442
Yes its the harsh ride a crashing when going over potholes or anything thicker than a match

Yes its the harsh ride a crashing when going over potholes or anything thicker than a match
I had semi Air fitted on my 2018 fiat lwb and to be honest it did help with straight line stability on the motorway ..but not with the pothole crashing you get ...that was solved by moving from Michelin to continental tyres tbh..continental publish a technical guide which has a weight to tyre pressure grid allowing me to go from 80 psi all around to far more reasonable pressures I fitted vanco 2 all seasons and have a fall better ride.

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
I had semi Air fitted on my 2018 fiat lwb and to be honest it did help with straight line stability on the motorway ..but not with the pothole crashing you get ...that was solved by moving from Michelin to continental tyres tbh..continental publish a technical guide which has a weight to tyre pressure grid allowing me to go from 80 psi all around to far more reasonable pressures I fitted vanco 2 all seasons and have a fall better ride.
I have continentals and the ride is dreadful. The only time you get a smooth ride is a motorway or new road surface. Otherwise it is banging and crashing over any un even surface.

OP
OP
Millcourt
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Millcourt what did you end up doing with yours? I've also got a 2022 Adria and wanted to get air. Almost bought a kit today but then stumbled on this thread! Not sure on the size of the airbags but it looks tight with the roll bar where it is

Have taken no further action. Mick at SAP said he would be in touch if/when he found a satisfactory way forward.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I have continentals and the ride is dreadful. The only time you get a smooth ride is a motorway or new road surface. Otherwise it is banging and crashing over any un even surface.
Which Continentals? The Campers are nearly as unforgiving as Micheline Campers. And what pressures are you running? Continental have a handbook which says which pressures you can run for your tyre and axle weight.

I'm running Continental Vanco 4seasons at the handbook 50psi and they are a much better ride.

These Big Adventures

Free Member
Aug 18, 2022
Funster No
MH
sunliving A75
Exp
Newb
I ended up with Top Drive (reinforced) on mine. Very happy. Has the most travel of any system I found and is compatible with composite springs. Mine is a 2021 Adria Matrix.

Marcle sell them or I got mine fitted by Nick at Autosat.

BigDean.
Oh great thanks for info, Does your matrix have the rear anti roll bar?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funsterSwede

Free Member
Jul 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Perpetual newbie
Which Continentals? The Campers are nearly as unforgiving as Micheline Campers. And what pressures are you running? Continental have a handbook which says which pressures you can run for your tyre and axle weight.

I'm running Continental Vanco 4seasons at the handbook 50psi and they are a much better ride.
Any chance you could share a link to the handbook? Even though we haven't reflected over an overly firm ride or excessive bang-crash, it couldn't hurt comparing manufacturer recommendation with base vehicle recommendation (80 psi/5,5 bar).- if only to get the most put of the tires..

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Any chance you could share a link to the handbook? Even though we haven't reflected over an overly firm ride or excessive bang-crash, it couldn't hurt comparing manufacturer recommendation with base vehicle recommendation (80 psi/5,5 bar).- if only to get the most put of the tires..
I think this is it?

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Tyre pressures seem to be subjective, here’s the 4 recommendations for our van……..take your pick.🤷‍♂️

Continental Vanco 215/70R 15 CP109. Front 1750kgs Rear 1900kgs GVW 3500kgs

Ducato Van Sticker on door pillar..
...F 72.5psi (5bar) R 79.8psi (5.5bar).

Converters User Manual (Sunlight)...F 69psi (4.75bar) R 79.8psi (5.5bar).

Tyresafe UK website (not sure if that's the proper name for it)………F 63psi (4.36bar) R 80psi (5.5bar).

Continental Tyre Chart...F 54.4psi (3.75bar.. much lower than the three above) R 72.5 (5bar).

At the moment I’m running 62.5 psi front, and 72 psi rear.

Aug 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E442
Which ones do you have and what pressure you running at what is the size and cp figure I am running cp121s allowing me to go lower on pressure even allowing for 4 tonne max weight...

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
Which ones do you have and what pressure you running at what is the size and cp figure I am running cp121s allowing me to go lower on pressure even allowing for 4 tonne max weight...
Not sure of pressure i have lowered it but can’t remember.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
What a coincidence that this thread has resurfaced just now! I installed the Dunlop rear air suspension on my Adria Compact Supreme SC only this last weekend - kit from Marcle Leisure - and had to make some modifications for it to fit due to the revised layout of the anti roll bar and electric handbrake.

First off, there are two spot welded brackets on the top of the inner wheel arch supporting handbrake wiring and hydraulic tubes. These will foul the top plate of the airbag but can be ‘eased’ outwards by 10mm or so to clear them like this:

BAB77419-7648-44D8-A73D-82BBAA8F9B4E.jpeg

Next up, the top bolts of the O/E 120mm drop links for the ARB prevent the bottom mounting plate from locating correctly on the top of the spring:

44FF4B59-542B-411F-8100-6C0340164E69.jpeg

Solution is to change the drop links for the pre-2019 versions which are 100mm centres and clear the bottom mounting plate vertically. However, the Delphi links I purchased (P/N TC2570 £31.46 delivered) have 40mm of thread top and bottom, whereas the O/E ones were 40mm lower and 25mm for the top connection to the ARB. This is important otherwise that top thread just about impinges on the forward edge of the bracket, so removing 15mm was in order. Photo of the links before reduction:
77FDA32C-D4E7-4397-91FC-816F41361D39.jpeg

Finally, there are a couple of short extensions from the main loom, again associated with the electric handbrake, that are inconveniently located exactly where the top plate of the airbag bolts to the front retaining clamp. I found that by unclipping the loom in that area during installation, repositioning the clips on it slightly, there was then enough play to clear it.

97793DEC-EC81-44E7-A240-17E0EADE9A85.jpeg

453D1EF5-6368-4994-A767-EA1D04C6FE5E.jpeg

I decided on a manual inflation option with the twin gauge panel mounted in a repurposed junction box in the garage, where I keep the Milwaukee portable air inflator anyway:

3C0C1924-6287-4A6A-B7CF-B23A7D9E32CC.jpeg

OP
OP
Millcourt
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
At recent NEC Show, visited VB Air Suspension stand. Advised that recently they have released a modified version of the (rear) semi-air suspension kit suitable for recent variants of the Fiat base vehicle with the composite rear leaf springs and anti-roll bar. I have been in touch with SAP and they have confirmed they can now fit this kit to my 2022 model Adria. The composite springs do still need to be changed for suitable steel ones.

These Big Adventures

Free Member
Aug 18, 2022
Funster No
MH
sunliving A75
Exp
Newb
What a coincidence that this thread has resurfaced just now! I installed the Dunlop rear air suspension on my Adria Compact Supreme SC only this last weekend - kit from Marcle Leisure - and had to make some modifications for it to fit due to the revised layout of the anti roll bar and electric handbrake.

First off, there are two spot welded brackets on the top of the inner wheel arch supporting handbrake wiring and hydraulic tubes. These will foul the top plate of the airbag but can be ‘eased’ outwards by 10mm or so to clear them like this:

View attachment 723701

Next up, the top bolts of the O/E 120mm drop links for the ARB prevent the bottom mounting plate from locating correctly on the top of the spring:

View attachment 723707

Solution is to change the drop links for the pre-2019 versions which are 100mm centres and clear the bottom mounting plate vertically. However, the Delphi links I purchased (P/N TC2570 £31.46 delivered) have 40mm of thread top and bottom, whereas the O/E ones were 40mm lower and 25mm for the top connection to the ARB. This is important otherwise that top thread just about impinges on the forward edge of the bracket, so removing 15mm was in order. Photo of the links before reduction:
View attachment 723714

Finally, there are a couple of short extensions from the main loom, again associated with the electric handbrake, that are inconveniently located exactly where the top plate of the airbag bolts to the front retaining clamp. I found that by unclipping the loom in that area during installation, repositioning the clips on it slightly, there was then enough play to clear it.

View attachment 723715
View attachment 723716

I decided on a manual inflation option with the twin gauge panel mounted in a repurposed junction box in the garage, where I keep the Milwaukee portable air inflator anyway:

View attachment 723717
Top work! thanks for that post it's given me some more options

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Did you notice much of an improvement to ride quality?

Too early to say - been tied up with family commitments but will hopefully get away for a few days this coming weekend to give it a good try out. Will keep you posted. (y)

These Big Adventures

Free Member
Aug 18, 2022
Funster No
MH
sunliving A75
Exp
Newb
Top drive reinforced system purchased from Nick at autosat. Fitted it this afternoon without any bother to my 2022 Adria. Had to move what looked like an abs sensor cable very slightly that was all. Really impressed with the quality of the Top Drive kit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back