Campsite fined for untreated water (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Good that the Environmental Health team kept on top of checking it.

I do wonder sometimes about the quality of water when we are at the big shows, where it is piped across several fields to a nearby tap and maybe left stagnant for months.
Arrive with a full tank then by the time you need water it will have been well flushed through.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Ecoli is endemic in most wells and boreholes in England and Wales. When we lived in Wales with our own water supply we would have the council test it every year. One year it would be good the next year it would not. We installed a double UV filtration setup, it was the only way you could be sure that if you were drinking ecoli, they were harmess and dead

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I recon if had the original warning and failed to comply it hard to have any sympathy for him. Presumably they had their original water supply to save money I suspect it wasn't reflected in reduced pitch fees

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Some years ago, my uncle who has the large family farm on the edge of Bodmin Moor decided to branch into the expensive spa water in a bottle market.

The farm has a spring that has been used by all members of the family since the 1100's, and as far as we know no one has died of Typhus or Cholera in the last 900 years that the family have been in occupation.

So he got all the quotes for the bottling plant, worked out the logo and labels, found distributors, the EA insisted on doing a test of purity, which as the water comes straight out of the ground was not a problem.

The report came back.
Unfit for human consumption.
Pollutants included cow dung and mine runoff.
Shut off all access to the farm with immediate effect.

So that was the end of the Bottled water plant and his dreams of millions ....

The local water company were told to plumb in the farm (over a mile from the nearest water main) as fast as possible.
They laid a main along the surface of the access road the next day! and then entrenched it over the next two weeks, all free of charge.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
When wild tenting 50 years ago - New Forest, Dartmoor, the Dales etc. we always used water from becks and streams although it was always boiled first. In some areas in West Cornwall there were signs warning of residual arsenic from old (tin?) mining operations. I wouldn't use stream water nowadays due intensive farming, field run-off and sewage overspills. I stopped walking the dog near a battery chicken egg farm across from my house as the ground and ditches reeked from the syrupy disgusting creosote coloured liquid that drained permanently from the barns.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
£1470 fine.......that's put the pitch price up.
He certainly wont be paying it from his own pocket.
Maybe a few weeks in prison would make him think.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Some years ago, my uncle who has the large family farm on the edge of Bodmin Moor decided to branch into the expensive spa water in a bottle market.

The farm has a spring that has been used by all members of the family since the 1100's, and as far as we know no one has died of Typhus or Cholera in the last 900 years that the family have been in occupation.

So he got all the quotes for the bottling plant, worked out the logo and labels, found distributors, the EA insisted on doing a test of purity, which as the water comes straight out of the ground was not a problem.

The report came back.
Unfit for human consumption.
Pollutants included cow dung and mine runoff.
Shut off all access to the farm with immediate effect.

So that was the end of the Bottled water plant and his dreams of millions ....

The local water company were told to plumb in the farm (over a mile from the nearest water main) as fast as possible.
They laid a main along the surface of the access road the next day! and then entrenched it over the next two weeks, all free of charge.

They’re made of stern stuff the people of Bodmin moor…🙂

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
Stayed in a cottage in Honiton Devon many moons ago the tap water was all brown even after running for awhile mentioned it to the landlord/farmer "Oh that's cause its from the tank fed by the stream, its alright when it boiled"
Bottle water to drink - daily swim and shower at nearest sports centre after that.!!

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
We mostly use pub stops in the winter but for a change we stayed on a site. When we filled the water tank the water tasted acrid. I mentioned this to the site office. They said I should have used the tap at reception not the ones on the site because they hadn’t been flushed after the winter shut down.
It took a lot of flushing and filling to clear the problem and the site did pay for a bottle of flushing fluid. I admit my sense of taste isn’t as good as it should be but that was a lesson learnt.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back