Came from QD but I've seen them in garden centres as well

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
We wouldn't buy any chair without trying them all out first, and even then mistakes can be made.
We have Isabella Thor Chairs and have modified them twice. Although they seem quite strong and well made, we found a couple of issues.

The cross braces between the front legs were set too low and prevented you from tucking your feet under the chair when desired. We driiled the legs higher up and moved the braces up.

We got these because unlike most recliners, the seat squab was very flat for sitting upright at the table. In practice we found this quite uncomfortable and later on I reduced the length of the back legs by a couple of inches in order to store them uprignt in the garage and found that this gave a slight rake to the seat squab which was much more comfortable.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along

Got one of these but what was suggested to me was try before you buy amazon is your friend order spend a few hours watching telly /sitting reading it it at home if you don't like it return free if charge
I'm not going to tell you how I know but got to know the delivery driver well

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Our folding chairs are the 'Deck chair' type as in cruise liners, or called 'Directors Chairs'. They are made of hardwood and are about 20 years old, from my patio at the house.

We also have two of the type this thread is discussing, for guests, but as wildcampers we do not have many and I have no idea what make they are.

If any other useless info required please ask. :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have 6 chairs šŸ˜„, 2 aluminium & cloth ones which look similar to a director's chair but fold into a long tube shape, they are 21 years old and other than hubby spraying over a bit of rust on the crossover joint brackets are as good as the day we bought them. They are ideal for having lunch outside or carrying to the beach, or just sitting reading etc, no adjustment on them though. We also have a pair of mesh & aluminium ones which can be used upright or reclined, ideal for slobbing about although can be used upright for eating etc.

I also have a low beach chair, similar to the usual garden cheap type folding chair but with a higher back, nice and comfy and with a carry strap.

I also have an inflatable one, it's around 1950/60s vintage with it's own built in pump in the back so to inflate it you need to push on each of the sides at the top as if trying to build up your peck muscles ... being female I have an advantage though, as other ladies will no doubt recall too, that as teens we learned the pumping method so it comes naturally to me along with the familiar mantra "I must, I must improve my bust"! šŸ˜„

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I also have an inflatable one, it's around 1950/60s vintage with it's own built in pump in the back so to inflate it you need to push on each of the sides at the top as if trying to build up your peck muscles ... being female I have an advantage though, as other ladies will no doubt recall too, that as teens we learned the pumping method so it comes naturally to me along with the familiar mantra "I must, I must improve my bust"! šŸ˜„

Too much information Mel.......but did you?

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Aug 09 to date
Didn't work for me šŸ³šŸ³
Nor me and I've been pleased ever since cos mine are in proportion to the rest of me. Have to say we have two pairs of pretty cheapo chairs and those I like the best are the very cheap ones we bought from Tesco because I can carry them both easily in their supplied bags or out of it but still folded whilst Pete can carry anything heavy or eg a drink each that I'd slop cos I'm a bit unsteady these days - and I can virtually 'erect' one at a time with one hand, cos they stand pretty easily still folded. Have to say I did get a bit fed up last summer not being able to lie flat or recline, but at least they have (material) arms - which when I tried sitting in one of those Oh they fold around you ones with a mug of tea/coffee and chat with friends again last summer one day - I'm clearly not the right shape - far too short and I hated it cos there wasn't anywhere for your arms to rest away from your body cos the sides are too high for me when it's hot.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Ah bugger it! We have tried all sorts, shed full of ones to sell on some day, if ever!, I am happy to sit on the MH step these days, at least we have made it away from base camp home.
PS: the more expensive designer named ones are the ones that are least comfortable IMHO.
Bean bags are the next experiment.:LOL:
LES

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Over the years we have had all sorts of different chairs, they all seem comfortable to start with.
We had the expensive, lightweight but bulky Fiamma reclining chairs which are fantastic if you want to doss in the sun but are useless if you want to sit up to a table, so you need more chairs for that activity.
Weā€™ve also had the type that are fine for use at a table but then theyā€™re not that comfortable for a doss in the sun.
We do have some ā€˜tableā€™ chairs at present but are looking to change them soon.
Chairs are very difficult to get right!

Sep 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
I bought a kilos gear chair last summer, as I was fed up of carting 2 heavy bulky chairs to beach. It was a risk as I am not 10st... I'm very impressed, it packs up small and is very lightweight. I also got footrest and the table. I'm not going to bother taking my isabella chair and footrest I used in the caravan this year, just the kilos. https://kilosgear.com/products/high-back-chair-2

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that we need to carry two sets of chairs.

We love our Lafuma mesh recliners for relaxing in, but they are rubbish if you want to sit to the table to eat.

I think its worth considering the purpose of the chairs as well. Are they going to be comfy armchairs or upright dining chairs? Not sure any make will do both things well.
That's why we bought our Dukdalfs. Can be used for eating and also for lying down if you also buy the leg extenders

KimSteve

Free Member
Apr 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
Luna Roadstar 2004
I am looking to purchase a couple of camping type chairs to pack away when not in use and use for sitting outside. I have a few of the cheap ish (Ā£5/10) type but looking to upgrade them. Anyone recommend any? They do not need to recline. There is loads out there so looking for your recommendations.

TA Steve
We have a couple of stargazer rockers, pack down to almost nothing, very comfortable, tend to attract a lot of attention

Jul 2, 2017
Seagrave Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A CLASS HYMER B698
Exp
15 years
I am looking to purchase a couple of camping type chairs to pack away when not in use and use for sitting outside. I have a few of the cheap ish (Ā£5/10) type but looking to upgrade them. Anyone recommend any? They do not need to recline. There is loads out there so looking for your recommendations.

TA Steve
LA FUMA

JoeP Harrison

Free Member
Jul 16, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i562
Exp
A class

TA Steve
We use Helinox beach chairs. They're expensive but good because of portability & quality. Check out helinox.eu šŸ‘šŸ‡®šŸ‡Ŗ

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
but if you are of a slighter and lighter build than me, then I heartily recommend the Decathlon Quecha chair here:

Most comfortable chair I've had (and I've parked my broad arse on more than couple). However, being a fat git, I never felt completely safe insofar that I was a sandwich over the weight limit (110kg)!

So Outwell if you enjoy the occasional beer and burger, but if you prefer salad and tonic, go for the Decathlon chair.

Those Decathlon Quechua chairs look good and the folded size is exactly right for the back wall of the MoHo garage that I have available. How is the seat height when sitting at a table? The folding jobs we have at the moment are very comfortable but a bit too low for eating at the table.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Lafuma too. But we have a table with extending legs so these chairs are OK for dining too.

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
We went to Costco last week and pleased to have found two really comfortable and lightweight Director's chairs for forty odd quid each. They have a range of camping chairs in from some really compact ones for tent camping probably to loungers. As usual with their stuff, it's good quality - made in the usual country of course, but they can turn out quality products as well as rubbish. Last chairs we bought were from Go Outdoors at about 80 quid each - were a pain in the a**e to unfold and put away - now in the greenhouse destined either as spare chairs or for charity shop.

Just checked their website. They're called Timber Ridge high back Director's chairs. Available online at Ā£47.98 each with free delivery. Costco have a very good returns policy.
yes great quality but if memory serves me they are quite heavy nearly bought 2 last year but went for 2 that were recommended to me can't think of name right now .

Sep 28, 2021
West Lothian, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner LyseoTD690G
Exp
Since 2019
Like many others we've had several sets, started very cheap then progressively got more expensive as you realise how much you use them when travelling. We actually loved the Vango set we got, larger moon style, can't remember exact model Titan perhaps?!? Loved them until both snapped in the same place on the same trip after only a few months of usage.

Since then we opted for the Outwell Acadia Loungers, they've been great so far, had them around 2 years now, a little heavy around 9kg each but sturdy and great in sitting or reclining mode and comes with a little clip on drinks holder and adjustable headrest. Also love the fact the material is easily wiped and drys quickly.

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
We use Helinox beach chairs. They're expensive but good because of portability & quality. Check out helinox.eu šŸ‘šŸ‡®šŸ‡Ŗ
Yep we have two , a Sunset for me and a larger Savanna for the driver. Weigh next to nothing , pack down into a tiny bag and will take significantly more weight than our lardy arses ..you can carry them anywhere, strap them to a bike and they are I credibly comfortable.

Michael Rennison

Free Member
Apr 28, 2019
Upton, Newark, Nottinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti 700mx
Exp
Since 2016
Yep we have two , a Sunset for me and a larger Savanna for the driver. Weigh next to nothing , pack down into a tiny bag and will take significantly more weight than our lardy arses ..you can carry them anywhere, strap them to a bike and they are I credibly comfortable.
We've the Helinox One with the ground protector that stops you sinking into sand on the beach. They fit on the tandem or in a rucksack and the grandchildren love them too. Lafuma recliners for sunbathing on, Isabella Thor for eating at the table and Lafuma lightweight folders for the guests. Oh and I forgot the Coleman Sling chairs for guests to relax in. We've a lot of chairs. šŸ™„

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
We've the Helinox One with the ground protector that stops you sinking into sand on the beach. They fit on the tandem or in a rucksack and the grandchildren love them too. Lafuma recliners for sunbathing on, Isabella Thor for eating at the table and Lafuma lightweight folders for the guests. Oh and I forgot the Coleman Sling chairs for guests to relax in. We've a lot of chairs. šŸ™„
That's my van full , might have some room left for backpack :rofl:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Those Decathlon Quechua chairs look good and the folded size is exactly right for the back wall of the MoHo garage that I have available. How is the seat height when sitting at a table? The folding jobs we have at the moment are very comfortable but a bit too low for eating at the table.
Cut the table legs down. šŸ˜„

Mar 6, 2018
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since Feb 2018

TA Steve
It is very much personal choice. Some have higher backs than others which can be more relaxing. Also you need to consider height relationship to dining table if you are using them for al fresco meals in addition to relaxing chairs. We use separate folding stools for foot stools rather than having chairs that recline with integrated foot rests. Weight is also a consideration and sometimes this means paying a little extra for strong but lightweight chairs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back