Camper van driver cheats death - M42 (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Doesn't matter how good a driver you think you are sometimes you are just a passenger, I'm guessing they did not find where it came from? Glad I have a dashcam, although may not have identified the source of this.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Doesn't matter how good a driver you think you are sometimes you are just a passenger, I'm guessing they did not find where it came from? Glad I have a dashcam, although may not have identified the source of this.

They may be able to get CCTV footage.....if the overhead cameras were working, of course!! Thank god they had a hard shoulder to pull onto. A very lucky escape!

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
They may be able to get CCTV footage.....if the overhead cameras were working, of course!! Thank god they had a hard shoulder to pull onto. A very lucky escape!
Probably very hard to prove anything, a while ago I was following a truck on the A12 in a car, something flew up from the truck, and as luck would have it took out the badge and grill on the front of the car, rather than expensive bodywork, I had it on dashcam, but difficult to prove if from the truck, or debris on the road, or thrown up by another vehicle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
This 'fell off' a flatbed truck, this time last year whilst I was heading to Hereford...

vlc_20230727_183426_copy_800x600.jpg

Luckily, I saw it bouncing down the motorway and we were both able to stop before colliding.
Shudder to think what sort of damage that could have done to me and/or the van if I'd been just a few seconds earlier...

Feb 19, 2023
Leyland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Excel 690L
Exp
Since August 2022
Just near there I was on my way home when what I thought was a rubber quoit flew up and hit the bottom corner of the windscreen cracking the windscreen inside and out. It definitely wasn’t rubber ! Pulled over to the hard shoulder and the police joined me as they had seen this happen. The response from the policeman was “it happens all the time”.

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Just near there I was on my way home when what I thought was a rubber quoit flew up and hit the bottom corner of the windscreen cracking the windscreen inside and out. It definitely wasn’t rubber ! Pulled over to the hard shoulder and the police joined me as they had seen this happen. The response from the policeman was “it happens all the time”.
Well it bloody well shouldnt
" happen all the time" !!!!
What the hell are Vosa and other safety agencies up to.
Working from home????

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
In Germany in 2022 going up a mountain pass, we were on the 'outside' edge, and being right hand drive ment we were closer to the edge than a LHD vehicle would be.
Our left wing mirror was hit by by the wing mirror of a lorry coming downhill (on the 'inside').
Our mirror had the armour cover, but it still knocked out the glass.

The lorry mirrors, (Pair on a metal 'U' frame), were ripped out of his door, flipped over the 3 meter roof of our motorhome and then landed on the right wing of the car following behind.

We pulled over. The lorry did not!
The car assumed it was our mirror and fault, until she saw we still had a mostly intact mirror.

The damage to her car was impressive.
Front right headlight gone, damaged right wing, smashed front grill, damaged bumper.
No idea of the cost, but it would have had a comma in the price.

Had the mirror landed a meter to the right and 30cm higher we could have had a similar situation, especially if she had then driven over the side of the road into the clouds below.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
I had a close shave whilst driving my lorry near Kilwinning in Ayrshire. I was driving into a fairly sharp right-hand bend when a tipper truck with a tarpaulin coming the opposite way at speed , shed a huge amount of very thick ice which must have been lying on top of the tarp. It hit my lorry just below the windscreen smashing all the paneling and a headlight. If my reflexes hadn't have been so fast and I hadn't braked it could have been so different. :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back