May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
motorhoming 1979 ---- 2024
Check out Heligan campsite prices !!!!!
Grass pitch £ , Grass pitch with ehu HOW MUCH !!!
Dogs how much !!
1722669546871.jpeg

How do they get £20 a night for ehu !!!! £5 a night for each dog !!!

MUST SAY THEY ARE QUITE BUSY !!!!!

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Boats Caravans & Motorhomes for 25 years
In the end like everything else the market dictates the prices. If people wish to pay £50 plus per night then sites will charge that much. When customers decide that prices are too high and stay away then rates will fall. We use sites in the UK but always set £40 per night as a maximum. If everyone who wants to use sites did the same rates would fall.
Just looked at my nearest Premier Inn which is a short walk away and it is £59 for two people on Sunday night. But me I like my own bed own sheets and ability to talk to some great folk.

Last edited:

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Dogs how much !!
View attachment 931299

If people choose to pay then those are the prices, but we certainly wouldn’t

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Dogs how much !!
View attachment 931299

And no "Van with windows" either!

How do they check the insurance?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Dogs how much !!
View attachment 931299

The electric self leveling pitches sound interesting.
1.5 miles away is Little Winnick,Hard standing. ehu. tv point full campsite facilities £36 high Season.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
at Plassey, great views decent facilities, indoor pool, small arcade of "stall holders" pub on site, golf course,
and in july, plenty of the little lovies lobbing frisbees and footballs at your van
Sounds my idea of hell. Did my share of those 20 years ago when the kids were young. Just the great views and black/grey/fresh water is all I need now.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Says it all about £50pn campsites.:LOL:
And people wonder why so many are trying to sell their caravans and MH’s. Spoke to a guy this week looking to buy is first MH, said he’d been to a local dealer (I assume Marquis) the place was jam packed with used MH’s for sale, still expensive though.

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
This thing about kids on sites.
We always use sites.
Never had an issue with them (kids)
Now dogs, that's a different story.
Then again we mostly try to go when the horrors are at school (kids not dogs) and NOT on holiday.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
We always use sites.
Then again we mostly try to go when the horrors are at school (kids not dogs) and NOT on holiday.
Yep, we were pitched next to a couple last week with a fence around the front of the van and 4 small dogs which barked every time there was any sign of movement, even the gulls set them off. Owners would say “be quiet” every time they barked which made no difference and just added to the annoyance, we moved on due to them.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
In Fort William, in May, a week at the Premier Inn was priced at £2,136, made a campsite at £40.50/night a bargain.

Was that to hire the whole hotel ? Was the Highland games on or something ? I don't think it's even that much in Edinburgh for a week of the fringe is it ?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The thing is though if you don't want to pay for a spot almost always on your own just stop at pubs , plenty of apps to see where they are. We recently spent 5 nights around York and Whitby and apart from the first night at York auction centre because that was where we wanted to be that cost £12 all the rest were completely free.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
In the end like everything else the market dictates the prices. If people wish to pay £50 plus per night then sites will charge that much. When customers decide that prices are too high and stay away then rates will fall. We use sites in the UK but always set £40 per night as a maximum. If everyone who wants to use sites did the same rates would fall.
Just looked at my nearest Premier Inn which is a short walk away and it is £59 for two people on Sunday night. But me I like my own bed own sheets and ability to talk to some great folk.
We do the same, see a limit per night.

As for premier inn, their prices are fluid. I use them with work a fair bit when visiting clients sites and can be paying anywhere from £35 to £105 per night. A few weeks ago I stayed at one that was £95 but the same hotel was only £53 a few weeks earlier.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Was that to hire the whole hotel ? Was the Highland games on or something ? I don't think it's even that much in Edinburgh for a week of the fringe is it ?
There was something on, can't remember what. Just checked and tonight it's £220/night, the market can stand it I suppose. We're up there five or six times a year to visit an elderly relative, use the van when we can but have resorted to hotels a couple of times.

Oct 22, 2023
West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail F60
Exp
Newbies as of June 2024
Dogs how much !!
View attachment 931299

Those are crazy prices, but obviously people are paying ot. For £5.90 for the dog, I'd be taking him into the urinals for a wee, to get my moneys worth 😂

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
We always use sites.

Yes, me too. I was naive enough to think that ‘no dogs allowed’ sites meant no dogs allowed. Turns out it means don't bring your dog we’ve got plenty of our own. 🥴

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Dogs how much !!
View attachment 931299

At pinewoods in Wells it's £60 a night at the moment for a full service pitch and it's full. I'm on a THS for £14 and that's full too.

Jan 9, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 803F
Exp
Since 2006
In 40+ years, mainly off-grid with a motorhome of one sort or another I've never toured in the U.K. but I joined the C&CC last year as their (proper) site was conveniently right next to a motorbike event that I was attending. I only used my membership on that one occasion.
I've considered trying their THS's but the ones I've looked at have tended to be on rugby pitches or school car parks/playing fields and I really don't fancy being lined up in the middle of a mass of m/homes in an urban location.

My first tiny Bedford Bambi (£550) was 3.6m long - almost as high as it was long! 35 years ago...........

View attachment 931213
I think the Bedford Bambi is cool as. 👍
In my minds eye, I have often wondered about having one as a toad. 😆

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I’m glad all these places are full because it leaves more parking for me at other places..😎
It really is crazy , who the hell pays £80 to be crammed in with a ruck of other folks and kids and dogs when they can be parked in the garden of a pub for free with food and drinks on the doorstep.
Just makes no sense to me at all.

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Boats Caravans & Motorhomes for 25 years
The electric self leveling pitches sound interesting.
1.5 miles away is Little Winnick,Hard standing. ehu. tv point full campsite facilities £36 high Season.
Self levelling are clever you drive back and forth until you are lever. Pitches have a dip in the middle. Very popular.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
It really is crazy , who the hell pays £80 to be crammed in with a ruck of other folks and kids and dogs when they can be parked in the garden of a pub for free with food and drinks on the doorstep.
Just makes no sense to me at all.
But if I did that I'd spend more than the site fee on food and beer, but it would be more enjoyable 😉

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I think the Bedford Bambi is cool as. 👍
In my minds eye, I have often wondered about having one as a toad. 😆
I had 3 over a 6 or 7 year period touring all over Europe. The originals have been rapidly dying off from tin worm but if they were still made I'd definitely have another one.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Self levelling are clever you drive back and forth until you are lever. Pitches have a dip in the middle. Very popular.
Shame the don't make them all like that, It wouldn't cost much and I suppose you can let the grey water go into the dip.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
At pinewoods in Wells it's £60 a night at the moment for a full service pitch and it's full. I'm on a THS for £14 and that's full too.
For those sort of prices, I'd expect to get the freehold.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back