CAMC charge for extra person? (1 Viewer)

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
As a solo traveller, I would be scared to try to work out how much extra I’ve paid over the years due to so many prices for events or sites being based on two people as the base. It makes a change to see it the other way about. I’ve travelled extensively for work and pleasure and I’m very used to being penalised as a single traveller.

In hotels I can understand paying a higher fee if I’m using a double room, but I object to being charged a premium for getting the worst room in the hotel. I’ve been put in what amounts to a broom cupboard, another time my room had a lovely view of the air conditioning plant, and once I was even given a hotel room (in the UK) with no window at all! And I’ve often been put in (or the hotel has tried to put me in) the worst room at the back of the place. On one photography trip a long time ago I was put in a double which I was paying extra for but it was right at the back of the hotel overlooking the car park. EVERYONE else in my group had rooms at the front, with varying degrees of sea view.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Campsites are businesses that have to pay for electricity, water and sewerage. Two people use more than one person so why shouldn’t they pay more for using more. As a couple we don’t expect single people to subsidise us. This is a leisure activity where we all have choices and if we don’t enjoy what we are doing and having to pay for it we can do something else.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Quite right Eddie. I chose not to pay the extra and rather go somewhere else. No moans. Purely an observation like the original OP who also couldn't see the business logic in why the extra charge was so much. Just to stir it up a wee bit, why would a single person expect to pay 50% of what a couple pays for the pitch? They "rent" the same space surely?
We simply charged a fee for a pitch and ‘up to two people’

Whether they were a “Billy” or not was up to them 😉

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Is it the same if it were children and one adult. What about a family of 5? Or a dog?
Is there a maximum price for a pitch on these sites?
I'm a solo traveller, so I don't know these things.

And I've just thought. The same applies to the council tax. 25% discount for single occupancy. Why?
(Not complaining about that myself:whistle2:.

Last edited:
May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
But using Premier Inn as a proxy for a large hotel business, food and drink are charged extra. That's totally understandable to expect to pay for. A couple on a campsite uses the same space as a single person by and large, and a very little extra water, electricity, loo paper, cleaning, etc. A marginal extra is certainly warranted. Not about 40% extra. We owned a hotel in Thailand for 9 years. We charged a room only rate, whether 1 or 2 people, and breakfast was extra based on what each person chose.
Yes understand but Post 28 was my inference.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Travelling solo is more expensive than travelling as a couple. I have done both and think it is good that some sites recognise this. As already said, if you don’t like the terms on offer go somewhere else.
Thanks. I don't stay at CAMC sites because I don't like their terms. Simple.

Oct 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
The OPs posting has morphed into two discussions.

The Clubs charge too much. That old chestnut. You don’t have to stay there.

The Clubs costs are predominantly fixed. Folk don’t like the way they structure their prices to cover their costs. There will always be winners and losers. You don’t have to stay there.
Thanks for the advice. I know I don't have to stay at CAMC sites, and because I don't like their rip off extra charges for an extra person, as I said, I choose not to stay there. I've said that. We've been travelling in Europe for the last few weeks and not one site has tried to pull the extra person rip off. CAMC could sell more nights if they changed their pricing policy. But I guess they're not really interested in that strategy. It's so simple really. Only an opinion. That's all.

Oct 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Campsites are businesses that have to pay for electricity, water and sewerage. Two people use more than one person so why shouldn’t they pay more for using more. As a couple we don’t expect single people to subsidise us. This is a leisure activity where we all have choices and if we don’t enjoy what we are doing and having to pay for it we can do something else.
I totally agree. Two people use more electricity, water and sewerage than one person. But very little extra really. And I'd be happy to pay some extra charge. No problem. But 30% more is a rip off in my view anyway. The cost of a pitch, surely the biggest cost component, is the same for 1 or 2 persons? Insurance costs? Maintenance? Cleaning the facilities a little more, sure. The cost of check in and interaction with staff is surely the same for 1 or 2? But each to their own. How come many campsites in Europe for example, and hotels in the UK like Premier Inn, also businesses, don't charge extra for an extra person? I'll happily choose those campsites, that's all I'm saying. If some want to pay the extra 30%, go for it. I'm a pensioner and I choose not to pay the extra and use those campsites that don't charge extra or CLs or CSs. Surely I can have a view on that?

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We just went to book a CAMC site. For a single person it is quoting £29.40 but for a couple it is quoting £42.90!

Why? The space occupied is the same and the only extra "usage" might be the facilities block if we used them.

Does this sound right or is it likely to be an website issue?
You should have seen how much they wanted for us and the (now classed as adult) grandkids.

May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp

We just went to book a CAMC site. For a single person it is quoting £29.40 but for a couple it is quoting £42.90!

Why? The space occupied is the same and the only extra "usage" might be the facilities block if we used them.

I’m guessing the pitch is £15.90 and it is £13.50 per person, so £42.90 sounds correct. Guess they could charge £50 for the pitch and £1 per person, or any other formula imaginable. If I had 4 kids I would want maximum for pitch and minimum per person, if I was solo the exact opposite, how do you please everyone.🤷‍♂️

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

Sounds about right and not a a website issue. Maybe they should just charge everyone £45 and not worry if there are two or three on board the MoHo they are not the only organisation to do so.

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
Sounds about right and not a a website issue. Maybe they should just charge everyone £45 and not worry if there are two or three on board the MoHo they are not the only organisation to do so.
Agreed, CCC sites can be reasonably priced per pitch for one person, but as soon as you increase that number they become (what we think) extortionate, this, like others above, is the reason we stay away from club sites. As long as there are people prepared to pay these prices, and there are lots, the Clubs will continue to charge them.

Cheers
Red.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I totally agree. Two people use more electricity, water and sewerage than one person. But very little extra really. And I'd be happy to pay some extra charge. No problem. But 30% more is a rip off in my view anyway. The cost of a pitch, surely the biggest cost component, is the same for 1 or 2 persons? Insurance costs? Maintenance? Cleaning the facilities a little more, sure. The cost of check in and interaction with staff is surely the same for 1 or 2? But each to their own. How come many campsites in Europe for example, and hotels in the UK like Premier Inn, also businesses, don't charge extra for an extra person? I'll happily choose those campsites, that's all I'm saying. If some want to pay the extra 30%, go for it. I'm a pensioner and I choose not to pay the extra and use those campsites that don't charge extra or CLs or CSs. Surely I can have a view on that?
Of course you can have a view and of course you are doing the right thing by taking your business to sites that suit you.

I don’t think of it as an extra charge. You are paying it at the other sites too, they are just hiding a hidden extra charge that single people have to pay.

Generally I don’t use club sites because I don’t want the expensive facilities or regimented rows. CLs have simple pitch fees because there the main cost is the pitch and not maintaining expensive communal facilities. Where a large part of the cost of a site is running expensive communal facilities making a distinction between singles and couples seems very fair to me. Again just a personal view based on the days when I toured as a single person.

Jun 17, 2021
Beverley, UK
Funster No
MH
Florium magister74ml
Exp
Been caravanner for over thirty years,now going to have motorhome very soon.
It's a business. They will structure their pricing to maximise their revenue. They will alter that pricing structure as the market changes. All pricing structures produce winners and losers amongst customers. That's just something businesses accept. Remember it's not really a club. It's a free market, the customer makes their choice, the business succeeds or fails.
Don’t forget,the top tier need new range rovers every couple of years and the insurance for these is astronomical and yes they have to keep up with the upper class…

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back