CAMC charge for extra person? (1 Viewer)

Sep 21, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 794
Exp
We just went to book a CAMC site. For a single person it is quoting £29.40 but for a couple it is quoting £42.90!

Why? The space occupied is the same and the only extra "usage" might be the facilities block if we used them.

Does this sound right or is it likely to be an website issue?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We just went to book a CAMC site. For a single person it is quoting £29.40 but for a couple it is quoting £42.90!

Why? The space occupied is the same and the only extra "usage" might be the facilities block if we used them.

Does this sound right or is it likely to be an website issue?
Guess something similar could be said for hotels, etc charging more for a double (room only) vs for a single (room only)?:unsure:

OP
OP
MerlinUK
Sep 21, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 794
Exp
So a shower Sh,t and shave is £13.5 should you wish to use their facilities, and the same if you use those n your van
That seems to sum it up. In Edinburgh the charge was an extra £20.35 for the second person. For sites with swimming pools, clubs etc. I can see why there should be a significant difference but not on a basic touring site :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Guess something similar could be said for hotels, etc charging more for a double (room only) vs for a single (room only)?:unsure:
But here's the thing. Premier Inn, for example, charge the same price in a double room for 1 or for 2 persons. Why should CAMC charge so much extra for 2 persons? Pure madness. No logical reason.

Reactions: JRT
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
They operate camping sites so the more people there are the more it costs them. Motorhomes aren't camping things so they don't know how to deal with them.

Oct 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
I have a major problem in principle with the CAMC policy in this regard. It is totally ridiculous. A very very slight marginal extra for a second person is maybe, just maybe, acceptable. The answer is to vote with my feet, or my wheels. I will NOT pay for an extra person at a CAMC site. I don't use them. I will only use CL or CS sites, or independents, Search for Sites, etc or travel abroad which is FAR cheaper anyway. Stick it CAMC.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
But here's the thing. Premier Inn, for example, charge the same price in a double room for 1 or for 2 persons. Why should CAMC charge so much extra for 2 persons? Pure madness. No logical reason.

By the same score someone staying on their own will be moaning 'why should I pay the same as the van in the next pitch that has 2 people in.?'

Nov 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria
It's a business. They will structure their pricing to maximise their revenue. They will alter that pricing structure as the market changes. All pricing structures produce winners and losers amongst customers. That's just something businesses accept. Remember it's not really a club. It's a free market, the customer makes their choice, the business succeeds or fails.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
For me the logic is it gives a reduced cost for a sole traveller.
Whether you agree with the base rate being acceptable or not is a different question.
What would Premier Inn charge if they did have a rate for a single occupancy?
Are singles "subsidising" the base rate?:unsure:

Oct 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
So a shower Sh,t and shave is £13.5 should you wish to use their facilities, and the same if you use those n your van
Daylight robbery, IMHO. As Merlin says, it doesn't cost the club anything like that for one extra person.

Oct 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
By the same score someone staying on their own will be moaning 'why should I pay the same as the van in the next pitch that has 2 people in.?'
Sure, I accept that totally 2 people using the pitch should pay slightly more. Some marginal extra cost is certainly warranted, no problem. But not the extra £13.50 Merlin was quoted. But, we're not forced to pay the extra. Just go somewhere else. Most hotels don't charge extra for an extra person for room only. Even though there may be slightly more linen, water, etc if there is 1 extra person.

Oct 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Whether you agree with the base rate being acceptable or not is a different question.
Yes, I understand the logic of a discount for only one person Gellyneck. But does a single person really warrant a 30% discount of £13.50?

Oct 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
I'd say that no, single people aren't subsidising couples. What the excessive (imho) extra charge for an extra person means is that couples are in fact subsidising single people by paying way more than it costs to provide a pitch and services. But so be it. Many people seem to be happy to pay over the odds. We're all free to spend what we like. I feel it's a rip off and personally choose not to stay at CAMC sites that charge over the odds for an extra person.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I used to own a campsite

The argument is £40 for a couple, I’m on my own, so I should pay £20 drip drip moan moan. As it is in the op the campsite is getting more, while appearing “single friendly”

The same as dogs, “He’s got two dogs, it’s not fair I’m paying the same with no dogs” “it’s not fair, they have an awning I don't, I should be getting a discount”

I think with so many campsites available if you don’t like the pricing structure, don’t give the establishment your business

Oct 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
It's a business. They will structure their pricing to maximise their revenue. They will alter that pricing structure as the market changes. All pricing structures produce winners and losers amongst customers. That's just something businesses accept. Remember it's not really a club. It's a free market, the customer makes their choice, the business succeeds or fails.
Absolutely right. No problem. I vote with my wheels and chose not to pay the rip off extra charge for a couple. I'm sure many feel the same. That's how any market works as you say. As a business would the club ever know how much business they lose by members booking somewhere else? With the continued discounts CAMC offer, my guess is they do know bookings are down, and they are trying to sell more bookings by offering discounts. They should try reducing the extra person charge and test the impact.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021
South West, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
Getting back up to speed (returning after 30yrs lapse)
couples are in fact subsidising single people by paying way more than it costs to provide a pitch
I'd agree.
I have used CAMC when on my own as I think they are not a bad deal (relative to others in UK - and thanks to the couples paying so much!) but usually seek out alternatives when we are two (Freebie/CL/CS).

Perhaps I'm also more comfortable paying for the extra "security" offered by the site when on my own?

Oct 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
I used to own a campsite

The argument is £40 for a couple, I’m on my own, so I should pay £20 drip drip moan moan. As it is in the op the campsite is getting more, while appearing “single friendly”

The same as dogs, “He’s got two dogs, it’s not fair I’m paying the same with no dogs” “it’s not fair, they have an awning I don't, I should be getting a discount”

I think with so many campsites available if you don’t like the pricing structure, don’t give the establishment your business
Quite right Eddie. I chose not to pay the extra and rather go somewhere else. No moans. Purely an observation like the original OP who also couldn't see the business logic in why the extra charge was so much. Just to stir it up a wee bit, why would a single person expect to pay 50% of what a couple pays for the pitch? They "rent" the same space surely?

Oct 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
And eating and drinking twice as much.
But using Premier Inn as a proxy for a large hotel business, food and drink are charged extra. That's totally understandable to expect to pay for. A couple on a campsite uses the same space as a single person by and large, and a very little extra water, electricity, loo paper, cleaning, etc. A marginal extra is certainly warranted. Not about 40% extra. We owned a hotel in Thailand for 9 years. We charged a room only rate, whether 1 or 2 people, and breakfast was extra based on what each person chose.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Of course,the other way of looking at it, if they have club houses and shops and stuff, like haven , the more people they get the more money they get from the facilities so it should be less the more there is in a van.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Travelling solo is more expensive than travelling as a couple. I have done both and think it is good that some sites recognise this. As already said, if you don’t like the terms on offer go somewhere else.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
The OPs posting has morphed into two discussions.

The Clubs charge too much. That old chestnut. You don’t have to stay there.

The Clubs costs are predominantly fixed. Folk don’t like the way they structure their prices to cover their costs. There will always be winners and losers. You don’t have to stay there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back