Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 20, 2022
Chapel St Leonards, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato pvc self
Exp
Since 2017
We are soon to travel from Newhaven to Dieppe on our way to Spain. It is something we have done twice a year for the last six or seven years. The last time our dog ( thirteen year old Jack Russell) seemed very stressed by the crossing.
Was wondering if anyone could recommend anything to give him to help with this?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Youmove do calming paste and pills, can’t vouch for how effective they are though.
I would ask the vet. Your likely to get better results from what they have to offer.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
We've done the trip several times with our Westie dog. There's a lot of banging and clattering and rattling goes on when loading and closing the bow door with its deeh-daah alarm and noise from lorry engines a foot away alongside. We leave ours in the m/h with a bowl of water and a couple of chews. We did go down half way across the first time with a crew member but it seemed to unsettle him even more as he thought he was being taken out for a walk (which isn't permitted).
I believe you can get tranquiliser pills from a vet.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Our wee dog was anxious, not for travelling but every day life. We used some treats that really helped him, they were made by Pooch and Mutt, might be worth a try a few days beforehand.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I have tried both Zylkene (available from vets without prescription) and Adaptil (heavily advertised on FB) but what really works for an anxious cockerpoo is Gabapentin prescribed from vet.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Okay, I'm gonna get shot down for sure but ...

Now that we use the ferry to/from Dover instead if tunnel I stay with the dogs in the MH during the crossings and as we are considering using the Newhaven to Dieppe route to reduce travelling in winter via France I'd do the same even though it is a longer crossing.

Having had a dog which was severely, and I MEAN severely, affected from being on a ferry which caused her issues for the rest of her life I'm not risking my others being left on their own. It's a choice I make and if anything was to happen on a ferry I'd want to be with them anyway.

One thing to note is that it can get quite hot inside a vehicle on a ferry so give your dog plenty of cool water, a chilling pad to lay on, and if not likely to be frightened then open a roof vent slightly so warm air can escape.

Tin hat on ... 🙃

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
It's a choice I make and if anything was to happen on a ferry I'd want to be with them anyway.
I fully understand your motives as it has crossed my mind briefly to stay with my dog on that crossing but it isn't permitted and the watertight car deck doors are locked. Presumably you close all the blinds and 'hide'?
However, I wouldn't do it.

Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
Our uk and the French vet gave us tramadol. Worked a treat for an anxious doodle.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I fully understand your motives as it has crossed my mind briefly to stay with my dog on that crossing but it isn't permitted and the watertight car deck doors are locked.
Yes I know.

Presumably you close all the blinds and 'hide'?
Yup, settled on the rear bed with the pooches.

However, I wouldn't do it.
Okay, but if you'd experienced living with such a traumatized dog you'd understand. She hated the tunnel too but that was only for a short time and of course we were with her.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Yes I know.

Yup, settled on the rear bed with the pooches.

Okay, but if you'd experienced living with such a traumatized dog you'd understand. She hated the tunnel too but that was only for a short time and of course we were with her.

I've lived with traumatised dogs, so I get it. One of mine was previously injected with drugs and physically attacked. The 14 year old Shih Tzu I have now is terrified of the dark (I take a nightlight everywhere with us) and also terrified of noises above her (like if someone is upstairs). If she hears loud noises, thunder etc she absolutely panics and becomes fixated on the door of whatever room we're in, shaking violently and hyperventilating. God knows what's happened to her in the past. It breaks my heart.

I know it means more travel, and expense, but could you not do Portsmouth to Caen/Cherbourg and get a pet friendly cabin? It would mean you're all safe and not taking any risks xx

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Okay, but if you'd experienced living with such a traumatized dog you'd understand.

I do, that's why I wrote right at the start ..........
I fully understand your motives as it has crossed my mind briefly..............

It does make me very anxious that my dog pal would trapped below in the event of a disaster.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I know it means more travel, and expense, but could you not do Portsmouth to Caen/Cherbourg and get a pet friendly cabin? It would mean you're all safe and not taking any risks xx
Thanks for the suggestion and concern but if it came to it that I couldn't do what I do I'd use the tunnel or a ferry with a pet lounge.

I wish ET would bring back the frequent traveller scheme as that's what we used for a few years.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I do, that's why I wrote right at the start ..........

It does make me very anxious that my dog pal would trapped below in the event of a disaster.
Yes, if I was with them hopefully I could do something to rescue them/me, it was always a concern when we used to leave them totally on their own.

I wish the ferry companies allowed them to be taken up in suitable carriers but the only time this was allowed was on a ferry to Ireland many years ago.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
I wish ET would bring back the frequent traveller scheme as that's what we used for a few years.
One of my biker chums lives at Folkestone and works in I.T. with Transmanche and gets a return for his m/home for one pound. He often goes over for just a day's shopping. :envy:

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
I wish the ferry companies allowed them to be taken up in suitable carriers but the only time this was allowed was on a ferry to Ireland many years ago.
Some dogs would be a ruddy nuisance, whining and yapping. It was bad enough when I came back in June with two 12 or 13 yr olds behind me playing games all the way back on their tablets with noisy explosions, whistles, gunfire and plane noises plus constantly kicking the back of my seat in their excitement. (As a matter of fact I intended to ask their parents to control them but when I eventually turned around they were all Asian or Middle Eastern so I didn't).

OP
OP
Boldly
Jun 20, 2022
Chapel St Leonards, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato pvc self
Exp
Since 2017
Well we have crossed the Channel and are now in briare. We bought some calming chews from one of the pet warehouse places but as the dog had a dicky tummy at pershore didn't give him any. Glad to say he is fine and not as anxious as last trip. Been feeding him chicken and rice for five days and he loves it. Good news it loves him too. Solid and yellow if you're interested :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back