Calais to Denia in January

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
just looking
Hi, we are two ladies travelling from Scotland to Denia Spain. We are driving down with our wee dog in January. This will be our first adventure driving abroad. We are looking for the straightest, safest route. Worried about snow and ice. We do want to avoid Paris or any other busy city. Any help in planning would be much appreciated. :giggle:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
This route may suit you, I have driven it before, just pay attention when traversing Rouen not to go down the underpasses with hight restrictions.

Screenshot_20241012-195121_Chrome.jpg

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
You may want to consider the Newhaven Dieppe route with (may I be so bold as to suggest) an over 60s discount of 20% if you book over the phone and it takes a number of miles off the driving.

Although we didnt make Denia this year, the route may be something similar to what we did on a journal last year with things in your way

List of the places we went to (with shed loads of photos) here https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/blog/spanish-rehab-thrournal.340/

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Seriously look into the ferry routes from UK (Southampton/Portsmouth/Plymouth) to Spain. (Santander/Bilbao)
Here
It may 'appear' to cost more
But by the time you have factored in the additional French transit costs of fuel, camp fees, tolls, wear and tear, the other ferry cost, and of course your time, it's not as expensive as it may first appear.

400 miles Scotland to the south coast of England
400 miles Bilbao to Denia
It means one day to drive to the south coast.
One night on the ferry, arriving in Span late afternoon
Camp for the night near the port and be in Denia the following evening.
(Leave Scotland Monday morning, be in Denia Wednesday night)

Also worth looking at the routes into UK to Brittany (Roscoff/St Marlo/Cherbourg) as it could save you a day as it puts you a long way west.

Including looking at Newcastle or Hull/Holland, which when you look into the mileage and cost is faster/cheaper than Dover/Calais despite it 'appearing' on google maps to be the long way around (it's not!).

Basically, I'd be avoiding crossing at Dover/Calais.
Almost any other option is better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Seriously look into the ferry routes from UK (Southampton/Portsmouth/Plymouth) to Spain. (Santander/Bilbao)
Here
It may 'appear' to cost more
But by the time you have factored in the additional French transit costs of fuel, camp fees, tolls, wear and tear, the other ferry cost, and of course your time, it's not as expensive as it may first appear.
I m relatively well known as a FLT, but I thought I would take a peek.
£900 return to Santander from Pompey was much better than I was expecting and I think I could blag a BF discount (presuming it is BF) on top of that.
Versus £250 return and c£350 in diesel (£600 total) (No tolls, no campsite fees and a day extra travel for us) to Santander

£300 more expensive (possibly less for ancillaries and possible discount) and a cruise thrown in, plus the potential of no hold ups, accidents, wear and tear etc. I can understand why people do it now.

Still not for us as I like the £300 (y) But I can see it will make sense to many

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I m relatively well known as a FLT, but I thought I would take a peek.
£900 return to Santander from Pompey was much better than I was expecting and I think I could blag a BF discount (presuming it is BF) on top of that.
Versus £250 return and c£350 in diesel (£600 total) (No tolls, no campsite fees and a day extra travel for us) to Santander

£300 more expensive (possibly less for ancillaries and possible discount) and a cruise thrown in, plus the potential of no hold ups, accidents, wear and tear etc. I can understand why people do it now.

Still not for us as I like the £300 (y) But I can see it will make sense to many
or £150 extra each way but you get 4 days extra holiday.
The ferry companies are well aware of the costs of the alternatives and price accordingly

Works out at £18.70 PP per day. The cost of a couple of beers.
Therefore the longer ferry option is a no brainer for me.
(and as you say, you get a cruise for free)

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
or £150 extra each way but you get 4 days extra holiday.
The ferry companies are well aware of the costs of the alternatives and price accordingly

Works out at £18.70 PP per day. The cost of a couple of beers.
Therefore the longer ferry option is a no brainer for me.
(and as you say, you get a cruise for free)
Fortunately, (for my wallet) the wife will struggle with a 24 hour ferry trip. The Dieppe ferry is her limit.
For us, we enjoy the travel down in the vehicle.
We tend to motor down and its only 12 hours (yeah) according to google on non tolls from Dieppe, but I only have one more journey to make that way, with work limitations, so we would then pick and choose our travel days (when it is overcast or raining) which, in our minds, will negate the "lost days"

We also have the ability to change our mind and go to Germany somewhere nice just to shut up WESTY66 and his warped view on all things french ;)

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
If you have a dog with you and don’t want to subject him or her to the “Experience “ of on board kennels then I would suggest P and O from Dover (Special dog area) or the Tunnel where you stay in the vehicle. Crossing time 1hr 15 min on ferry or 45mins on the train. Have used the suggested route many times and the main road tunnel at Rouen is fine. You may well have snow between Northern Spain and Zaragossa in January.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Heading South in France in January

I've done it quite a few times

Obviously cold, so be prepared, sites mostly closed but now CCP Aires with EHU and services.

Weather can be miserable and when not you have the sun right in your face so better to set off later rather than early.

The ferries to Spain avoid much of that but snow closed the motorways on one trip. Not a problem in a MH you just find a park up.......

Upvote 0

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
We are from newcastle so a long haul for us too. Done the Santander ferry last two years for Christmas in Spain. You need it do Portsmouth to Santander which is a two night sailing. Or go to Plymouth for Bilbao.but Plymouth is a good bit extra too.

With the dog you will want a dog cabin for the ferry which will have sold out almost as soon as they went on sale back in July.

This year we are going on the tunnel and driving down. Will see what it is like and compare. We were just far too bored on the ferry last year. Will drive down one day and stay overnight close to the tunnel ( the Dog House) then early morning train then reckon 3 good days to get well into Spain.

If using tolls we reckon price wise it will be a little cheaper but and extra day or so each way. If not using tolls then it will be a god bit cheaper. Haven’t decided yet which way to go though. But have a look at Tonka’s routes in resources for ideas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Self build
Exp
Since 2009
If you are using toll roads consider getting a toll tag, which will make the peage stations a lot easier

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back