Calais to Denia in January

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
just looking
Hi, we are two ladies travelling from Scotland to Denia Spain. We are driving down with our wee dog in January. This will be our first adventure driving abroad. We are looking for the straightest, safest route. Worried about snow and ice. We do want to avoid Paris or any other busy city. Any help in planning would be much appreciated. :giggle:

Likes collected
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
And a public weighbridge in Millau 😉

CDE70277-BD72-451A-8E8A-E7A036775342.jpeg

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
The Dieppe ferry is her limit.
For us, we enjoy the travel down in the vehicle.
The Dieppe Ferry is our limit too.
I'm the only driver, and as an experienced long distance HGV/PSV driver, neither the drive nor the length of journey are a problem to me, but boredom is a problem for Rita (understandable) so we tend to do Calais or Dieppe to Benidorm in 5 x days, giving us a decent break each day.
On days when it's raining, we just keep going until I've had enough.

For me Newhaven dieppe then right down the middle on the free a75 motorway past millau. Lots of free aires on that route for stopovers .
That's the route we normally come back on during late March/early April, but last January we took that route going down, rather than the Bordeaux route, and found it quite pleasant weatherwise. I was expecting snow, but other than that seen on the odd peak, we hardly saw any.
If not heading for Portugal first, we'll go the A75 route again this coming January. 👍

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
The Dieppe Ferry is our limit too.
I'm the only driver, and as an experienced long distance HGV/PSV driver, neither the drive nor the length of journey are a problem to me, but boredom is a problem for Rita (understandable) so we tend to do Calais or Dieppe to Benidorm in 5 x days, giving us a decent break each day.
On days when it's raining, we just keep going until I've had enough.

That's the route we normally come back on during late March/early April, but last January we took that route going down, rather than the Bordeaux route, and found it quite pleasant weatherwise. I was expecting snow, but other than that seen on the odd peak, we hardly saw any.
If not heading for Portugal first, we'll go the A75 route again this coming January. 👍

Cheers,

It's the easiest route I find and toll free .

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
elddis aspire 255
Hi, we are two ladies travelling from Scotland to Denia Spain. We are driving down with our wee dog in January. This will be our first adventure driving abroad. We are looking for the straightest, safest route. Worried about snow and ice. We do want to avoid Paris or any other busy city. Any help in planning would be much appreciated. :giggle:
I agree with other member brains we go from stirling scotland drive down to a site near Bristol leave following day drive down to Portsmouth to Brittany ferries .over to santander .we got the ferry this year for 2 people +mo ho return booking for £893.00.weighed up the cost of fuel tolls miles to drive plus the time driving .I found that to be the best way to go tour Spain for 2 months .miss France altogether ooo la lah .problem with France is the French .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ixeo 1744
Exp
I’m newbie
Hi
We have done the last couple years of driving through France down to Spain during January/feb (we are newbys to motorhoming) always via channel tunnel as we have a dog too, wouldn’t want to leave her on ferry below .
As for snow Never really encountered any real snow to be honest, we even drove over the Pyrenees mountains . No snow on main route
we have all season 3peak tyres and carry snow chains but never used . ( but good to have incase of bad weather )
Main routes seem to be cleared pretty good.
Not like England where gritting lorry sat in heavy traffic unable grit 😂. Yes I talk from experience.
If weather turns nasty just find some where to stop for the night plenty places about.
There no real rush just take your time and enjoy.
Plenty of help on here from members if and when you need it .
Honestly it a lot easier than you think.
My only recommendation would be once you get off train or ferry find somewhere local to park up for rest of day /night and start fresh next day,
Enjoy 👍.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Please be aware that fresh water for your tank can be hard to come by in France during the winter. The Aires turn the water supplies off to prevent freezing.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Upvote 0
Likes collected
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
What’s the actual route there Tam please ?
This was our route, (very similar to Tams), but not necessarily our overnight stops.

Dieppe, Rouen, Everuex, Druex, Chartres, Gien, Briare, Pouilly Sur Loire, Nevers, Moulins, Cleremont Ferrand, then the toll free A75 (except the Millau Bridge), all the way down to Beziers. Non toll routes into Spain are quite good, before picking up the toll free AP7, after overnighting at La Jonquera.

HTH Graham. (y)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
This was our route, (very similar to Tams), but not necessarily our overnight stops.

Dieppe, Rouen, Everuex, Druex, Chartres, Gien, Briare, Pouilly Sur Loire, Nevers, Moulins, Cleremont Ferrand, then the toll free A75 (except the Millau Bridge), all the way down to Beziers. Non toll routes into Spain are quite good, before picking up the toll free AP7, after overnighting at La Jonquera.

HTH Graham. (y)

Yes it does.
Thanks very much Jock 👍👍

Do you driver from simple to Cleremont Ferrand on or off tolls ?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back